FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

It's quite the contrary for me.

IMO, she's almost completely INcapable of acknowledging she ever does anything wrong. What did she acknowledge tonight she'd ever done wrong, other than her (monumental cockup of a) report that Hird had been sacked?

There are a multitude of errors and sins over her career that could have been covered in that interview. Her stories about the Wayne Carey-Kelli Stevens affair were consistently and disgracefully wrong, as one example. Her stories about NM's medical department as another. In fact, there are so many "over the journey" (TM) that it's impossible to even begin remembering them all. And, regardless of how anyone sees the Essendon drugs saga and her role in it, for her to claim she was only ever interested in the welfare of the players is putting an utterly fanciful gloss on what she did.

The whole interview reeked to me of someone who can barely ever admit they're wrong, while hypocritically sitting in judgement and potting many individuals along the way and declaring that they've all been wrong.

She has always struck me as a nasty, self-righteous individual. I was hoping to get a different perspective tonight, but all it did was reinforce my opinion.

Great post. :thumbsu:

Your points about the drugs saga are obviously the ones that mean the most to me, as an Essendon supporter.

Anyone can agree or disagree with the choices she (and her editors) made in the way they ran with that story. She and Mike can also claim she was vindicated if they want to. I've got no problem with any of that. But to deny and absolve herself of any responsibility for the plain fact that she ran an extremely personal and obsessive agenda against James Hird is just stupid. Let alone that she now tries to spin it to gullible viewers that she was focused 100% on the welfare of Essendon's players. Give me a spell ... her articles, over and over again, reflected zero interest in the wellbeing of Essendon's players. It was the absolute opposite - her writing usually only intensified the public pressure on, and made things worse for, them.

I just tuned in towards in the middle of the part when she was discussing the Ricky Nixon ordeal. What did she mean by the "St Kilda Schoolgirl" being mis-named?

Thought tonight was a great interview. Love her or hate her Caro stands by her word and has a strong opinion on many things. I rate her articles highly as I feel she reports more accurately then many others and isn't trying to stay in the back pocket of players.

As she said tonight if someone deserves a whack she gives it to them but when she lines up a big target she makes sure she can back it up.

I just tuned in towards in the middle of the part when she was discussing the Ricky Nixon ordeal. What did she mean by the "St Kilda Schoolgirl" being mis-named?

That this girl didn't actually live in St Kilda.

I must have stepped into some parallel universe.
When did the love in for Caro commence?
To me she'll always be the cow who drove the agenda to ship my club up to the GC, among other grievances.
Surely Mike could have found someone else more appropriate to dedicate an ep to.
I'm not a fan of her at all but thought the interview was very good.

However one does get the impression that Mike's running out of guests to interview.

Thought tonight was a great interview. Love her or hate her Caro stands by her word and has a strong opinion on many things. I rate her articles highly as I feel she reports more accurately then many others and isn't trying to stay in the back pocket of players..
I'm not sure they'd want her there anyway

I'm not a fan of her at all but thought the interview was very good.

However one does get the impression that Mike's running out of guests to interview.

He said recently that he'd been trying to get Caro on for ages, but Ch 9 weren't keen seeings as previously it might have detracted from Footy Classified, what with it being on at the same(ish) time and all.

But yes, I agree that it should have been an hour. I was hoping after last week that it might have been a new hour format, but sadly mistaken

I thought it was a reasonable ep, but more and more I find the interviews with people that Mike is good friends with to be among the most annoying to watch. The show is only about 23 minutes, so every time they "waste" 20 seconds joking, or arguing a petty semantic, I really notice it.

I agree with an earlier poster too - this was an opportunity to hear more about how Caro became so influential in footy. She has always had this stank on her about only getting the job because of her dad. There was a chance here for her to explain why that is a misnomer, and to maybe step back in time to discuss some of the stories that caused her to become so influential.

Decent ep, but not as good as the social media reaction would have you believe. It almost seems that, in spending so much time talking about Hird/Essendon, and also talking about Sam Newman, this ep was more an attempt to create a headline than to actually teach us anything new about Wilson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was she 17/18 or dropped out of school or something?

psychopath would have been more appropriate.

What a jerk. For an intelligent bloke he makes alot of misguided remarks.
it was his way of removing himself from any blame ("not my fault you can't cop it" -- never mind no male journo has been ridiculed like that and we all know there are a lot of shit ones out there )

What a jerk. For an intelligent bloke he makes alot of misguided remarks.

I took it another way. That Sam new he stuffed up and acknowledges the work that Caro does and would've been disappointed if over everything she has copped over the years that it was that which caused her to throw in the towel.

Says a lot as well that he kept trying to contact her to apologise as not many would.

Great post. :thumbsu:

Your points about the drugs saga are obviously the ones that mean the most to me, as an Essendon supporter.

Anyone can agree or disagree with the choices she (and her editors) made in the way they ran with that story. She and Mike can also claim she was vindicated if they want to. I've got no problem with any of that. But to deny and absolve herself of any responsibility for the plain fact that she ran an extremely personal and obsessive agenda against James Hird is just stupid. Let alone that she now tries to spin it to gullible viewers that she was focused 100% on the welfare of Essendon's players. Give me a spell ... her articles, over and over again, reflected zero interest in the wellbeing of Essendon's players. It was the absolute opposite - her writing usually only intensified the public pressure on, and made things worse for, them.
Not having read many of her articles living in Adelaide, can safely agree with this post and the post that you replied too. She thinks she has so much power and influence and that she is never ever wrong

Not having read many of her articles living in Adelaide, can safely agree with this post and the post that you replied too. She thinks she has so much power and influence and that she is never ever wrong
She actually said last night she was wrong about James Hird getting the sack and she apologised on radio, tv and wrote a column in the age about it.

I have had the pleasure, through a footy club night to listen to her journey. What she has had to put up with from the morons she spoke so eloquently about (G Ablett comes to mind, u should listen to the Dipper & Teddy Whitten story) has made her the person she is today. She is as tough as there is and she puts Robbo to shame, talk about who has integrity. Let's be honest, her father wasn't the most gentile type of guy, it's in the genes. You never crossed the old man, ask K Bartlett.

Whats the Ablett, Dipper and Whitten story?

One of the better Open Mike's that I've seen. I thought it was a very interesting and enjoyable episode.

For me, it showed Caroline Wilson as very open and human - willing to discuss weaknesses and errors - to go along with the hard-edged, straight-talking and strong-minded character that you would expect in any senior journalist.

I would have liked to hear them spend more time discussing the culture and history of the game in Melbourne as she experienced it during her life. She is obviously steeped in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back