FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry Mrs Knights.

His marking highlights alone are worth the watch....He & Trevor Barker use to compete with one another every week, for mark of the day status during the 70's.

Played every game during 1971, only to injure his leg in the 2nd Semi & miss the Premiership that year..... Bloody shame....Top bloke too. You couldn't meet a more humbler champion than Knights.

Of course, his heroics in the 1976 & 1978 Grand Finals can't be forgotten either.:D

His marking highlights alone are worth the watch....
That's what youtube is for. Frankly, I found the Knights ep one of the most boring I've watched.
Played every game during 1971, only to injure his leg in the 2nd Semi & miss the Premiership that year..... Bloody shame....Top bloke too. You couldn't meet a more humbler champion than Knights.
Capper said he was a nice guy but couldn't coach and couldn't motivate the players. I got that sense from the Open Mike ep, found him uninspiring.

Capper said he was a nice guy but couldn't coach and couldn't motivate the players. I got that sense from the Open Mike ep, found him uninspiring.

Capper actually accused him of ruining his career....Yes, he's an uncontroversial character, though his footy was anything but uninspiring.

Capper actually accused him of ruining his career....Yes, he's an uncontroversial character, though his footy was anything but uninspiring.
Funny I was a big fan of Peter Knights as a player but as a coach he just seemed bland.

Funny I was a big fan of Peter Knights as a player but as a coach he just seemed bland.

He was a bog average coach, yes....No question about it.....But he's still easily the best center half back we've ever had.

He could also go forward & kick a bag to win us games, as he did against Fitzroy in the 1983 Qualifying final, when he kicked 6....Actually ended up kicking over 200 goals throughout his career to highlight his versatility....Came 2nd in the 1976 Brownlow by 3 votes, after having missed 7 games through injury....Same thing again in 1978, when he finished 2nd by a vote, but missed 3 games, I think it was....Just a supremely gifted athletic footballer was high flying Knightsy.

He was a bog average coach, yes....No question about it.....But he's still easily the best center half back we've ever had.

He could also go forward & kick a bag to win us games, as he did against Fitzroy in the 1983 Qualifying final, when he kicked 6....Actually ended up kicking over 200 goals throughout his career to highlight his versatility....Came 2nd in the 1976 Brownlow by 3 votes, after having missed 7 games through injury....Same thing again in 1978, when he finished 2nd by a vote, but missed 3 games, I think it was....Just a supremely gifted athletic footballer was high flying Knightsy.
First time I ever saw a Mike Sheehan top 50 Knights as number 1. Matthews 5 and Rick Davies for Sturt was 17 :D

First time I ever saw a Mike Sheehan top 50 Knights as number 1. Matthews 5 and Rick Davies for Sturt was 17 :D

Corr blimey....Rick Davies....Now there's a blast from the past.

Came over in 1981 & was mooted as a champion....Played 20 bog average games for us (I saw most of em) & then was sent back home to Adelaide.....Total bust.

Show has run it's course

Yep.

The whole appeal of Open Mike was that it originally gained insights from the game's greats - insights they hadn't previously given, or hadn't been capable of explaining properly. Married to that, they were generally people who'd had several roles - player, coach, administrator, commentator etc.

The key to a good episode has always been whether there is plenty that is either unexplored or is left on the cutting room floor. Malcolm Blight's went for an hour and could have gone longer; David Parkin was jam-packed with insight and anecdote; Peter Hudson explained how to play full-forward; Tony Charlton was an exploration into the mind of someone who saw the game over several decades. Sheahan was never able to secure Tom Hafey and I suspect he'll never get Ron Barassi - but they're exceptions in a show that has attracted most of the post-War footy greats.

The hard-luck stories (e.g Mark Eustice) are often repetitive once the original point of interest is discussed. They're usually only remotely connected to footy too, which seems like a poor remit. That stuff can be saved for five minute filler interviews on radio pre-match shows.

It might be time to turn off the Mike.

Daniel Ward?!? I can only presume he’s on because of his gambling problems but they already had David Schwarz on who played in the same era and same side to discuss that.

Someone mentioned earlier they should have Gerard Healy on and that doesn’t seem a bad idea; can’t recall him ever talking much about his own career and he had a pretty interesting and impressive one.

Probably could get some of the other Fox Footy talent there who haven’t been on for interviews if they’re struggling to get guests.

They should go after Judd again

Very limited being on when you're a current day player (all the weak ones were) and he's become very good value on Triple M and actually has a personality now he's out of football and would have a more interesting say on his time at Carlton (particularly)

Same would go for Goodes too.

Yep.

The whole appeal of Open Mike was that it originally gained insights from the game's greats - insights they hadn't previously given, or hadn't been capable of explaining properly. Married to that, they were generally people who'd had several roles - player, coach, administrator, commentator etc.

The key to a good episode has always been whether there is plenty that is either unexplored or is left on the cutting room floor. Malcolm Blight's went for an hour and could have gone longer; David Parkin was jam-packed with insight and anecdote; Peter Hudson explained how to play full-forward; Tony Charlton was an exploration into the mind of someone who saw the game over several decades. Sheahan was never able to secure Tom Hafey and I suspect he'll never get Ron Barassi - but they're exceptions in a show that has attracted most of the post-War footy greats.

The hard-luck stories (e.g Mark Eustice) are often repetitive once the original point of interest is discussed. They're usually only remotely connected to footy too, which seems like a poor remit. That stuff can be saved for five minute filler interviews on radio pre-match shows.

It might be time to turn off the Mike.
Nail on the head!

And to be honest, if Ox and Fev didn't deter me from the dangers of gambling - Daniel Ward certainly isn't!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw most of the Bedford one, strange how Sheahan from what I saw didn't bring up why South fell away so badly post-70 in Bedford's time there.

Mildly interesting although a bit more choppy in structure than usual. Sheahan almost getting offended that Bedford liked cricket more than footy good summation of AFL media mindset these days.

And yet again Sheahan persists in wanting to know exactly how much money a player was earning.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably could get some of the other Fox Footy talent there who haven’t been on for interviews if they’re struggling to get guests.
Maybe Frawley. I'm not his biggest fan. But he'd have some good yarns to tell from his days playing with Plugger at the Saints, State of Origin, his coaching stint at Richmond, assistant at Collingwood, International Rules involvement, etc.

Probably not a popular view but from a Roos perspective I wouldn't mind David King. Would like to hear about his time at North through his lens; 2 flags under Pagan, the Carey fiasco, the Laidley era, then his assistant coach role at Richmond where apparently he radicalised how IT is used in footy as I'd like to know exactly what he did.

I'd like to see Gary Dempsey....It's time Mike started concentrating on the legends of the game, instead of the controversial bad-boys & dick-heads of their time.

He'd be interesting but not sure how many can understand his voice.

Fr
Maybe Frawley. I'm not his biggest fan. But he'd have some good yarns to tell from his days playing with Plugger at the Saints, State of Origin, his coaching stint at Richmond, assistant at Collingwood, International Rules involvement, etc.

Probably not a popular view but from a Roos perspective I wouldn't mind David King. Would like to hear about his time at North through his lens; 2 flags under Pagan, the Carey fiasco, the Laidley era, then his assistant coach role at Richmond where apparently he radicalised how IT is used in footy as I'd like to know exactly what he did.

Mr Freckles with make up??

Saw most of the Bedford one, strange how Sheahan from what I saw didn't bring up why South fell away so badly post-70 in Bedford's time there.

Mildly interesting although a bit more choppy in structure than usual. Sheahan almost getting offended that Bedford liked cricket more than footy good summation of AFL media mindset these days.

And yet again Sheahan persists in wanting to know exactly how much money a player was earning.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mike seems to glosses over any hard questions. Swans captain deflects to Carlton after being the best player of the 70's for them is only interesting if we know his salary.

Have made similar posts before but can't believe the bitching and moaning over a non-star appearing on the show. All people, let alone professional footballers would have interesting insights, all that it really takes to deliver a quality and insightful interview is the personality of the subject and ability of Sheahan to draw out these experiences.

Why not wait and see if Ward is the right kind of personality for this rather than joining the other sheep in the "hurr durr he doesn't have a Brownlow or Norm Smith how boring" crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back