FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike seems to glosses over any hard questions. Swans captain deflects to Carlton after being the best player of the 70's for them is only interesting if we know his salary.

After making finals in 1970, the Swans won wooden spoons in 1971, 1973 & 1975.

Perhaps Ian Stewart felt Bedford wasn't giving the right leadership and the club needed a culture change? The Swans actually made the finals the year after Bedford left.

I'm not trying to have a go at Bedford who came across as a good bloke but despite his excellence the club was dire in that period, including when he was captain.

And yet Sheahan barely touches any of this. I enjoy the series but wish Sheahan was a more incisive interviewer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They should go after Judd again

Very limited being on when you're a current day player (all the weak ones were) and he's become very good value on Triple M and actually has a personality now he's out of football and would have a more interesting say on his time at Carlton (particularly)

Same would go for Goodes too.

the problem with Judd is he doesn't have a personality, he would be unable to really tee off, isn't bitter etc.

the good interviews are the "lovable larakin" or the "bitter has-been". Judd isn't either of them, and he wouldn't be having a crack at anyone either.

It would probably be very similar to the Pavlich one.

Goodes might be ok, but again, he'd probably be very muted and talk about what a great bloke "roosy" is.

brad johnson (prob wouldn't want to lose nice guy image)
scott cummings (4 clubs must have some stories)
peter bell
peter everitt
stan alves (has he been on?)

good list.

scott cummings would be a cracker. I don't understand why he hasn't been on yet, he is a ripper bloke who loves a yarn.
Peter Bell who is in radio would be excellent, he has a few grudges to bear and i reckon he would tee off.
stan alves obviously hasn't been asked he'd bite your arm off for a bit of press
peter everitt would be excellent, he can talk about the dodgy raffles, the alledged drug problems etc.
brad johnson - get him on and ask him about aker. He'd lose the nice guy image very quickly.

the problem with Judd is he doesn't have a personality, he would be unable to really tee off, isn't bitter etc.

the good interviews are the "lovable larakin" or the "bitter has-been". Judd isn't either of them, and he wouldn't be having a crack at anyone either.

It would probably be very similar to the Pavlich one.

Goodes might be ok, but again, he'd probably be very muted and talk about what a great bloke "roosy" is.

You should hear Judd on Triple M on Friday night - the bloke has grown personality in spades.

6 months ago I would've agreed with you. But I couldn't now - while he does it in a tongue in cheek manner, he doesn't have any problems teeing off on blokes now.

I'd definitely love a Goodes one, I think it'd be fascinating. But I don't expect him to do it. The AFL community, by and large, treated him - a 2x time Brownlow medalist - like shit for the last 2 seasons of his career for daring to be proud of his culture, and for daring to raise the issues affecting his people (with my own club's fans being among the very worst.) I don't think he'll ever do it, nor do I think we as a footy public really deserve it.

Maybe in 5 or 10 years when his wounds have had a chance to heal we'll get something like an Open Mike interview, but I don't expect it'll be much sooner than that.

I'll be shot down for this as he's considered by many as one of the most hated players of the modern era but I'd love to see an Alan Didak episode. Would be more than enough to talk about and the boy could play a bit as well.

I hate him with a passion but I don't think having a hated player on Open Mike is bad, at least they are usually interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prelim goal on siren, Taking Hawthorn to court to leave to WC and failing and Sydney coaching failure. Bit to talk about there.

Successful guy in football after Sydney and gun player.
And how much he earned

Prelim goal on siren, Taking Hawthorn to court to leave to WC and failing and Sydney coaching failure. Bit to talk about there.

Successful guy in football after Sydney and gun player.

4 time premiership player also....Did his knee in the first 5 minutes of the 1983 grand Final....Came back & kicked 4 goals in the 1986 & 1989 premiership sides. Important player in both those wins.

Took some of the most incredible pack marks I've ever seen in the 1985 Reserves Grand Final...Think he kicked 8 that day to get us over the line in the last quarter....Boy did we make some selection blunders on the big day that year.

Hawthorn head recruiter too, prior to Wrighty....Responsible for us picking up Buddy.

We had an option on him for a further year & decided to trigger it, which was then ratified in court as binding....Stayed with us till the end of his playing career thereafter.

enjoyed this one. Does seem like he didn't get much credit for Buddy and co from the other clubs. But i guess drafting is a real opinions business and is not all that scientific.

Seemed like he was a bit of a sook at times but also a very good player.

Bucky was a good episode.

Forgot the stint he had with the Swans as coach, I'm now tempted to dig out SwanSong by Paul Kelly to read what he had to say about him.

Seemed to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder too, but his personality seemed to be either you won it all or nothing.

Probably what made him such a great footballer.

Pretty good ep, although I heard him recently interviewed on SEN and most of the same territory was covered so not much was new (except his time at the Swans & his 1990s personal troubles).

Re: his time as coach of the Swans, I remember one match in 1992 when they were getting thrashed and at 3 quarter-time the Ch 7 boundary reporter said Buckenara's parting message to the players was "You've been disgraceful today." Way to pep them up for the finish!

Also, on 'Sheahan money' watch, Mike managed to bring money up on two seperate occasions.

Firstly, when bringing up the transfer fee that was paid for Buckenara to go from WA to the Hawks (patented 'Wow' uttered by Mike when the figure was said).

And then Mike spent a lot of time on Buckenara's money/gambling problems in the 90s. I get that it's a valid topic but Mike seemed more interested in that and how much money was involved than talking about Buckenara's time as Swans coach which I was interested in hearing.

And how much he earned
And how much he got for his house that he sold.

I enjoyed the Bucky episode though. Something just doesn't add up though. If he was that good a recruiter, why did no other club want him when he finished at Hawthorn after assembling the talent that got them several flags? And why would the CEO and coach not have thanked him for what he did?
Did something happen that wasn't widely known?
Really baffling.

Re: his time as coach of the Swans, I remember one match in 1992 when they were getting thrashed and at 3 quarter-time the Ch 7 boundary reporter said Buckenara's parting message to the players was "You've been disgraceful today." Way to pep them up for the finish!
Clearly he reached for the stick instead of the carrot.

Bucky was a good episode.

Forgot the stint he had with the Swans as coach, I'm now tempted to dig out SwanSong by Paul Kelly to read what he had to say about him.

Seemed to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder too, but his personality seemed to be either you won it all or nothing.

Probably what made him such a great footballer.

Really interesting to hear about his mental health issues, which would not have been recognised at that time. Losing 20KG in 18 days, for a fairly skinny player to begin with, must've been the result of some brutal depression.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back