FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Was he like that in his playing days?
Not sure tbh, he is a little bit before my time (I'm only 22). I just know for certain that he lives in Bowral and has absolutely zero interest in anything footy.

Fair enough as well.

Loved Open Mike last year and cannot wait for more Open Mikes this year.

Hopefully they extend it to an hour this year. 30 minutes just seems too compressed (especially once you add in a couple of the trademark lengthy Foxtel ad breaks), and doesn't do most of the interviewees justice.

I noticed last night that there was a promo for Open Mike featuring Sandy Roberts - hoping like hell they haven't added Sandy in 'just because'. Show works fine in its current format.
I seriously doubt that will happen. I 'm thinking the first show of the season is Sandy will be the interveiwee, depending on how far Sandy will let Mike take it, it could be a real 'tear jerker', considering the tragedy Sandy had to deal with 2 to 3 decades back. It would be a very sensitive subject indeed! We do Mike does like to 'push the envelope', so to speak.

Nick Maxwell would be a good open mike guest, he copped it all and kept on going. Im sure he would have alot to say whether it be positive against him or negative. Stephen Milne&Dane Swan are others i would also be very interested in.

Plugger was always that way, thats why he got into so much less trouble in Sydney. He could go about his business with less hassle.
Plugger was before my time so I'm curious as to what trouble he had in Melbourne?

A quick list of players who would be great on Open Mike:

1. Mark 'Jacko' Jackson. He's got some incredible stories to tell, even though we've all heard most of them. He's also very entertaining.
2. Plugger Lockett. He's been out of the spotlight for a long time now, i'd love to hear his views on the current state of the game and some of his highlights/lowlights.
3. Ben Graham. I think he'd be a cracker of an interview, considering the transition from AFL to NFL during a time when he could have conceivably played in a flag at Geelong.
4. Tony Modra. He'd also have some cracking stories surrounding his departure from Adelaide and his dramatic rise to stardom in the mid 90's.
5. Mick Martyn. I think he'd have some interesting stories to tell involving his tactics and also involving his time at North.

Plugger was before my time so I'm curious as to what trouble he had in Melbourne?
I should probably reword that sentence. Really what I meant was that he didn't like the huge media attention that came with playing in Victoria. He copped a lot of flack for throwing his crutch at Eddie McGuire after he did his knee injury. McGuire was a sports reporter for 10 at the time. Plugger didn't like the fishbowl in Melbourne. Don't quote me but I am pretty sure he had an issue or two with Lindsay Fox at St.Kilda aswell. Sydney was good for him, less pressure from the media, fans etc. When he played for Sydney he didn't get suspended anywhere near as much for on field transgressions either.

I'm surprised Tom Hafey hasn't been interviewed yet. Richo already did a good interview with him, but that had a more Richmond flavour. So he'd be one I'd like to hear from, his time at Geelong in particular.

Gary Snr would be one that sounds good in theory, but after following Gary's career and various books & TV/DVD things that involved Gary I'm not sure Mike (or anyone else) would be quite capable of extracting honest & non-cliched/defensive answers from him on what I'd like to hear about - the actual football side of things, his memories of games, on field incidents etc. Maybe if he interviewed him for a week, he could come up with something beyond what we already know.:)

Maybe it's best to leave it alone, the last interview I read of Gazza (with Andrew Rule in 2012) was kinda disturbing, & I consider myself reasonably able to separate the realities of on & off field stuff. So if he's continuing to struggle, probably best for everyone to let it be, and let the on field stuff speak for itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Plugger, the guy just doesn't like talking about himself.

He's done radio interviews in the past where he's described himself as that bloke who was lucky enough to be on the end of Robert Harvey's kicks.

Even on his Hall of Fame induction night he showed up just before it was his turn to be inducted and had to borrow someone's jacket before he went up.

Or so I've heard.

And that's all fine. Interviews with people who don't want to be interviewed aren't the greatest things.

First guest I can confirm for Open Mike in this year is controversial sports agent Ricky Nixon. Should be interesting viewing.

Looking forward to Open Mike this year. My favourite footy show apart from AFL 360.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back