Operation get a ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

and your point is?

yes mate I have been around longer than you.

The improvement which has come from being conservative has put us in the position we are in. Playing finals. Trading for a name player and paying overs never worked. Darren Gasper comes to mind. You suggested being brave. Too often it has not worked, and in fact those decisions acted as an anchor for the club.

because we are not brave. simple. we go conservative. how do we let this slip? dont give me the rubbish about salary cap. we go for a spud like hampson when mcvoy was open to offers.
Would you have given pick 12 for him as that's what it would have cost us. I don't believe we should be trading away our first round picks just yet.

That's top up mode.

Maric, Hampson, Stephenson & Vickery...I hope we at least try and draft a "pure ruckman" as well.

I don't think there are very many virgin AFL players left

That's what you meant right, because it couldn't be anything else?

I don't think there are very many virgin AFL players left

That's what you meant right, because it couldn't be anything else?

I remember a girl I knew years ago who was described as "innocent from the neck down".

virgin != pure

The improvement which has come from being conservative has put us in the position we are in. Playing finals. Trading for a name player and paying overs never worked. Darren Gasper comes to mind. You suggested being brave. Too often it has not worked, and in fact those decisions acted as an anchor for the club.

Two time All Australian/Jack Dyer medallist gun FB. If I were going to use examples of poor trades it would be guys like Polak and Mcmahon.

Two time All Australian/Jack Dyer medallist gun FB. If I were going to use examples of poor trades it would be guys like Polak and Mcmahon.

Point taken. But being conservative, and going for the best option for the overall team is IMO what we have done. Getting a "better" player, did little for the success of the team at the time. It was no dig at Gas, just that I like the way the footy department is going about it now vs then.

The clubs plan is pretty simple, although I'm not sure that counts as conservative.

Draft the best players we can find, use trade/FA to fill the gaps, utilising undervalued players where possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point taken. But being conservative, and going for the best option for the overall team is IMO what we have done. Getting a "better" player, did little for the success of the team at the time. It was no dig at Gas, just that I like the way the footy department is going about it now vs then.

Gaspar was best and fairest and all-australian in 2001 (2nd year in a row) when we made the prelim, at 24/25. He was never the same after he did his knee in 2003, but does not deserve the whipping boy status that he has on here. We got far more out of gaspar than we did out of k.johnson, n.brown, polak and mcmahon (the latter 2 having already been mentioned, although we effectively paid nothing for polly as we got our target anyway).

Remove this Banner Ad

Operation get a ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back