Operation: Harry Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

would be a great pick up, under trade though is going to be a bit tougher.

there's aren't too many 27 year olds (HT will be 27 in October) who are worth a first round pick. harry taylor would be one of them. he's also been pretty durable over the year, so you get the feeling he might playing on a bit more than most key position players.

mitch brown as a sweetener to our first pick should be enough. given brown's history of injuries you'd say both have got 5 or 6 seasons left after 2013, a clear discrepancy in output would be expected, offset by giving them a mid to late first round draft pick.

could we get away with brown and our second rounder? doubtful, but if it was a case of a player wanting to come home that lowers their draft value.

could we get away with brown and our second rounder? doubtful, but if it was a case of a player wanting to come home that lowers their draft value.

No chance and no disrespect to Brown but it's going to take a fair bit more than a trade involving him I dare say. The amount of games he hasn't played either is a worry.

No chance and no disrespect to Brown but it's going to take a fair bit more than a trade involving him I dare say. The amount of games he hasn't played either is a worry.

i guess in the case of brown and a first rounder (pick 12ish), it's the first round pick that is the main value with brown the difference between taylor and a first round pick.

If Taylor is forced to go home (he wont go unless unless he feels he has no choice at a family level), Geelong wont stand in his way. But there is another club in Perth and Taylor will go to the highest bidder *unless* his preferred club provides adequate compensation. WC wont want to fill a hole by creating another and Geelong wont take a fringe player like Brown so it will probably come down to draft picks, which may involve a mixture of upgrading picks or straight picks

If Taylor is forced to go home (he wont go unless unless he feels he has no choice at a family level), Geelong wont stand in his way. But there is another club in Perth and Taylor will go to the highest bidder *unless* his preferred club provides adequate compensation. WC wont want to fill a hole by creating another and Geelong wont take a fringe player like Brown so it will probably come down to draft picks, which may involve a mixture of upgrading picks or straight picks

Geelong IMO will take a player like Brown because he can slot straight into the side and do an effective defensive job round 1 2014. M Brown (24yrs old) plus a pick is pretty decent compensation for a 28yr old who wants to return home.

What that pick would be is the question.

Geelong will get a much better deal if both Freo and the Eagles are bidding for him, what we are really saying is Buddy is not being chased hard by Freo.

Being a restricted free agent doesn't help Geelong. Harry will be chasing financial security for his family so if the Eagles offer Mitch Brown + our 2nd rounder and Geelong say get stuffed the club would just say fine we think that's more than reasonable we'll offer Harry $700k in yr 1 and the Cats get whatever the AFL thinks is fair. Judging by their previous efforts that would be a 2nd rounder and that's it.

Eagles are not desperate for KP players so don't expect them to throw the kitchen sink at a 28 year old CHB / CHF when they have that position covered.

M Brown + our 1st rounder for a good mid like Bennell, D Swallow or Conilgo I could see.

Being a restricted free agent doesn't help Geelong. Harry will be chasing financial security for his family so if the Eagles offer Mitch Brown + our 2nd rounder and
He is not a restricted free agent, so that doesn't help WC. Money is not the issue and the only benefit of offering alot of money to him is to stop Freo from getting him. Mitch Brown would not get in our starting 22 so he is worthless in terms of a trade and we have one too many Mitch Brown's as it is.

OK, cool someone posted he was.

What's your thoughts / rating on Schofield. Just read some posts on your thread describing both Brown and Schofield as "buckets of dirt".:confused:

I can understand people down playing Brown due to his injury history but Schofield is highly rated at the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The local sports radio channel here in Melbs are pretty certain that he'll be allowed to head back to Perth. They were suggesting that since the Cats picked up a homesick Caddy, as a club they'd look pretty ordinary to deny Taylor the same opportunity.

Fair crack of the sav! Caddy stated he wanted to return home to Victoria. Fair enough. The cats had to pony up the Ablett compo pick to get him to the cats. That basically means a first rounder to the GCS. To say the cats would look ordinary if they did not allow Harry to go home would just be plainer wrong. In any case he will be allowed if thAts what he needs to do, but rest assured, no matter which team gets him from the west they will have to offer up a fair deal.

Cats certainly know what's required of them when it comes to their own players.

M Brown + our 1st rounder for a good mid like Bennell, D Swallow or Conilgo I could see.
Be great if any of the above were possible gets but cant see it happening for Brown + 1st pick, also cant see Daisy heading west(would love to be wrong though and see him in the blue and gold) and we don't need Buddy sucking us dry(even though he's a dead set gun)
IMO Brown + our 1st rounder would be good enough to get Harry home.

I understand where the cats are coming from saying he won't bend gelong over if WA clubs don't offer what he's worth ubut he could also get pretty pissed off if gelong try and get overs and threaten to send him to the draft if a deal isn't done. He could say its westcoast or freo or I retire

OK, cool someone posted he was.

What's your thoughts / rating on Schofield. Just read some posts on your thread describing both Brown and Schofield as "buckets of dirt".:confused:

I can understand people down playing Brown due to his injury history but Schofield is highly rated at the Eagles.

I wouldn't take any judgements from cats fans too personally about your players.

I think its just a very sensitive topic, and a painful thought to contemplate losing Harry, and a lot of responses are manifestations from the realization that when you lose a player of such quality you rarely if ever can bring in a equal replacement. Years down the track, when draft picks or young players from trades have matured you can see with the benefit of hindsight how a trade eventuates, but initially, in such circumstances it appears to be all short term downside from the side losing the star player.

As far as I am concerned Harry is our MVP by some distance. In an era of spread goal kickers and many people rotating through the midfield, Harry to me is the most irreplaceable player. Watching Harry take a couple strong contested marks from opposition i50's every game which guarantees the ball rebounding versus watching KPD from other teams try and spoil the majority of entries, or his marks from kick ins are brilliant.

With Lonergan nearing 30, with basically no decent KPD prospects on our list and considering that we have lost Harley, Scarlett and Milburn to retirement recently, and our defence is already leaking far more goals than we have in our past glory years, losing Harry would feel like the stake through the heart of our short to mid-term prospects.

I think for some positions and players like Naitanui for you in the ruck, there is a much greater marginal difference between them and a good/solid player than there is between the good player and a fringe/VFL/WAFL player. And as you can only have so many player of certain types on the field at any time, this is why some people will baulk at almost every suggestion of combinations of players and picks, as even 2 players at 80% ability doesn't feel like it makes up for the lost player.

Hopefully this doesn't drag on, but I think any dismissing of your players or suggestions of ridiculous trades such as S. Selwood or Naitanui just stem from how highly regarded we Cats fans rate Harry, and how much it would hurt to lose him.

Didn't realise Lonergan was 30!?! Wow.

Mitch Brown would be very hand for you guys.

TBH I would rather we did all we could to keep Brown and use our picks in the draft.

More balanced article in The West, implied Taulor will re-sign with the Cats.

Sounds like this article has been a beat up from one minor veriable, when you read the context it's in and the story should be its unlikely he'll leave Geelong, not likely to return to WA

Gday guys, hope you don't mind the intrusion.

Not here to cause any discomfort, just to try and engage in respectful discussion, and you guys are welcome on our board so long as you do the same (and the WCE posters that have wandered over so far have been really good and respectful with their posting and we welcome that).

It's interesting, I actually rate Mitch Brown a lot more than a lot of my Geelong friends seem to, I think he has developed a lot over the last 12 months despite being in and out of the side, and I'd be happy to have him. That said, there's one problem I forsee, and that's that he has a long injury history, none of that is his fault but I do think it affects his trade value. By contrast, not sure how many people know, but Harry has played 120 of 131 possible games since he came to us, which is insanely good durability, and he's never had a major injury. So despite the fact that Taylor will be 27 this year and Brown will be 25, there's every likelihood you may actually get more games from Taylor than we end up getting from Brown, so there's a lot of risk in our end on his medical history, if we chose to accept him. So I think that does lessen his trade value, not that he can't play, but it affects the trade value.

Whether Brown is fair value depends on what sort of pick he's packaged with. For example, if you end up having pick 10-12 plus Brown, that might be something Geelong would accept, even though it's arguably less than Taylor is worth. But if you guys end up doing well this year, which I think you will again, and so only have pick 17 say, then 17 + Brown needs a fair bit more added to it.

One thing I am fairly sure of is that with both Lonergan and Rivers being 30 next year, one thing Geelong would ask for in any trade, be it a 2 way trade or involving more clubs, is for a key defender to be coming our way, as we really don't have much depth in this area.

I tend to agree with what Jim Boy has suggested, I don't think Taylor will nominate a club. If the idea is that he has to go home reluctantly because his wife and family need him to, then the worst outcome for Taylor is a limbo whereby no trade is done. So I don't think he would risk dealing only with one WA club and cutting off the other, because then if a trade can't be negotiated, there's no plan B. Personally I would prefer to deal with WC as I think you have much more to offer us than Freo does, but I think Taylor will probably keep his options open, in order to give himself the best chance of getting back to Perth.

Or Taylor could do a Judd, and by wanting to go 'home', he means a particular club, not the state.

Can work both ways. As for Brown being a fringe player, while technically correct, he is being kept out of the side by our captain (an AA full-back) and Eric Mackenzie who would be a starting CHB in most AFL clubs. I have rated Brown on his performances this year, has looked a lot more comfortable at AFL level and hope he stays.

I don't think Geelong need to worry about lengthy discussions or being screwed if Taylor wanted to come to West Coast. The trades we have done in the past are usually completed pretty quickly, and we usually offer fair compensation. Can't remember us playing hard ball with anyone in the past?

More balanced article in The West, implied Taulor will re-sign with the Cats.

Sounds like this article has been a beat up from one minor veriable, when you read the context it's in and the story should be its unlikely he'll leave Geelong, not likely to return to WA
You can hear the interview that sparked off the latest interest here http://www.rsn.net.au/audioplayer/1369097784.mp3

The interview was conducted under his guise as ambassador for gambling awareness week. The comments were made straight after he reflected how his own kids may be affected by having gambling shoved down their throats so he was probably in a more reflective mood. I'm reasonably confident he'll stay at Geelong. One thing is certain, if he does go, it will be for the right reasons and not for some commercial inducement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Operation: Harry Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back