No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XL

Remove this Banner Ad

He's put on the gut over the last few years. Late 20s early 30s.

I had a gut like that. wasn't getting photographed though.
must be smashing cans and potato cakes after every game

I have progressed from watching zero AFLW to now watching majority of the Tiger games, which I enjoy. Conti, McKenzie and Sheerin are great to watch.

The issue they need to overcome is the defensive strategies. They play a similar style to the men of guarding space and getting numbers back, which makes scoring nigh on impossible.

That’s because the men can kick over defensive zones with goals from outside 50m. They can transition the ball to beat defensive zones via longer kicks, quicker running and basically greater skill levels at the moment. They can also take contested marks a lot more often resulting in scores.

Women can follow instruction as well as men (probably better). So their ability to set up defensive zones and play to coach instruction is every bit as good as the men, meaning that just because the standard is lower, the defensive structures are every bit as good.

The answer? I don’t know. Maybe smaller grounds. Maybe less players on field. Maybe rules to prevent ‘zone’ defence and force individual match-ups?

The scoring will increase as the standard continues to get better, but I feel intervention is needed before then to prevent these defensive grinds that turn people away.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
AFLW's lack of kicking power has been evident from day 1.
In reference to reduced interchanges a couple of years ago, Nicole Livingston said they were trying to optimise the battle between offence and defence.

Maybe the 7 point result at Punt Rd is optimal football.

use cones, witches hats to make grounds smaller for the women? don't know why not.

But I like the use of Princess Park, Windy Hill, Arden St, Punt Rd so there's a solid connection with the clubs' histories

You can't beat zones, or kick more goals from further up the ground unless you have Jayden Short level kicks. that's going to take several years.

Geelong just announced to their members they got approval for their extra game at methhead oval next year. Their only other Home game is at the G... Wtf do we cop being forced to play homegames at Docklands every season if the Scats don't have to?

Fmd Benny really could've done a lot of good if he was 2ic at AFL
If they had any brains they'd be asking for MORE games at the 'G.

Fat lot of good all their games at Kitty Litter Park did them in the prelim lol. F 'em.

Fat lot of good all their games at Kitty Litter Park did them in the prelim lol. F 'em.
The cliff will come.

Once Cameron is gone theyll be arse.

Can't win Flags without quality Key forwards or at least 1 top key forward .................just ask Sydney.

Bill Hader Reaction GIF

Me watching opposition fans about to melt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong just announced to their members they got approval for their extra game at methhead oval next year. Their only other Home game is at the G... Wtf do we cop being forced to play homegames at Docklands every season if the Scats don't have to?

Fmd Benny really could've done a lot of good if he was 2ic at AFL

odds collingwood play down there next year?

theyll complain about a lack of games at the G

The thing with Geelong is they make finals every year cos of their home games at Kitty litter park. The media declare Scott the best coach of the century, but he's only won one flag.
* His first year doesn't count, he inherited a premiership list.
They have done incredibly well. But they are/have slowly turning into a team that cannot go beyond making the top 8 as their key movers are so old. I reckon they might just stay around 6-10 as Danger and Cameron slide. It'd be good if they just became mediocre year after year. Stuck in the zone of irrelevance.

AFLW's lack of kicking power has been evident from day 1.
In reference to reduced interchanges a couple of years ago, Nicole Livingston said they were trying to optimise the battle between offence and defence.

Maybe the 7 point result at Punt Rd is optimal football.

use cones, witches hats to make grounds smaller for the women? don't know why not.

But I like the use of Princess Park, Windy Hill, Arden St, Punt Rd so there's a solid connection with the clubs' histories

You can't beat zones, or kick more goals from further up the ground unless you have Jayden Short level kicks. that's going to take several years.
totally my opinion -
watch any number of AFLW games and the kicking sticks out like a saw thumb
I had some 15 years of teaching kicking from auskick , U8-U14 and then new guys to the code in 4th grade Canb.
the classic kick for newbies is hands under the ball a slight toss upward and then have a kick at it on the way down
then some sucker spends a bit of time trying to get them to hold the ball slightly on the top half and guide onto the foot

in my Auskick clinics I had limited success at getting the up and under kicking style out of the girls

Roll forward some years and a woman at our work happy hour was playing AFLW seniors and I had this conversation with her and she was a keen AFL follower and was in agreement about the kicking in the women's game.

During a happy hour I had a light bulb moment when checking her out, then I was lining everyone up and checking length of arms. The women with their palms of their hands would typically line up with their hip joint , with guys their hip joint would line up above their wrists , I'm 6'2" and my hip is 4" above my wrist ( longer arms in relation to my body)

yes that was a small sample , about 12 people , so I've people watched for a while now and reckon just as men generally have broader shoulders and narrower hips , they have longer arms in relation to their bodies and this enables a better kicking action

Carlton been spoken about as big winners. Let’s say they finished 5th in 2025.

That means for pick-3 they’ve given up:

Pick-12 (2024)
Pick-14 (2025)
Pick-32 (2025)
Owies

If they finished 12th:

Pick-12
Pick-7
Pick-25
Owies

So if they miss finals next year they’ve given up a very hefty price for pick-3.

We really did a number on Don Pyke in the 2017 grand final, he still hasn't recovered.
I reckon it was him who pushed that Carlton trade. He's thinks he's smarter than he actually is.

Carlton been spoken about as big winners. Let’s say they finished 5th in 2025.

That means for pick-3 they’ve given up:

Pick-12 (2024)
Pick-14 (2025)
Pick-32 (2025)
Owies

If they finished 12th:

Pick-12
Pick-7
Pick-25
Owies

So if they miss finals next year they’ve given up a very hefty price for pick-3.

Something here says to me that they think Campoeale's kid won't get bid on in the top 3 picks, but will be in the top 12 that would have forced them to use the earlier pick. This way the get 3 and Campo Jr.

Would be funny to see North bid on him with pick 2.

Something here says to me that they think Campoeale's kid won't get bid on in the top 3 picks, but will be in the top 12 that would have forced them to use the earlier pick. This way the get 3 and Campo Jr.

Would be funny to see North bid on him with pick 2.
I thought those twins were shit?

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back