No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XXXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really didn't miss much. :D

I was a little kid watching some of those 80's games, but I still vividly remember some hideous scorelines, mud fests and sides where at least a dozen blokes had dodgy skills on a dry day.
Ahhh the 80's ... Listening on the radio and "around the grounds" ... Artic Park - We are at the 5 min mark of the 2nd quarter and Hawthorn 6.1.37 to Richmond 1.3.9 🤣

Ahhh the 80's ... Listening on the radio and "around the grounds" ... Artic Park - We are at the 5 min mark of the 2nd quarter and Hawthorn 6.1.37 to Richmond 1.3.9 🤣

My favourite part of that was the around the grounds men, especially back in the 70's. George Ferry at Carlton, Gerald Bourke at Collingwood, Skeeter Coghlan at Footscray. Frank Considine at Glenferrie. Polly Perkins at Waverley. Huey Mitchell at Essendon. Brings a tear to the eye. These guys were like agent 38 from Get Smart. They had to stand and watch a game alone and wait for the main commentators to cross to them for a live update. Sometimes if they had "the close one" at the end they would have to provide live commentary one out and man alone. In between Statewide Building Society ads. To have genuine football guys like those to listen to these days...

Last edited:
My favourite part of that was the around the grounds men, especially back in the 70's. George Ferry at Carlton, Gerald Bourke at Collingwood, Skeeter Coghlan at Footscray. Frank Considine at Glenferrie. Polly Perkins at Waverley. Huey Mitchell at Essendon. Brings a tear to the eye. These guys were like the agent 38's of Get Smart. They had to stand and watch a game alone and wait for the main commentators to cross to them for a live update. Sometimes if they had "the close one" at the end they would have to provide live commentary one out and man alone. In between Statewide Building Society ads. To have genuine football guys like those to listen to these days...
Access these days is great, but back then it was great to hear "Tigers by a point, sounds like we've got the close one". I was forever glued to the radio just waiting to hear the scores if we weren't the game on the radio.

Access these days is great, but back then it was great to hear "Tigers by a point, sounds like we've got the close one". I was forever glued to the radio just waiting to hear the scores if we weren't the game on the radio.

And you got good updates and bad updates. If I got a couple of "bad" updates in succession, I would be convinced that was because I was listening, and I would turn the radio off for a period, convinced that the longer I left if before turning it back on, the more likely I was to get a "good" update. Like: "Michael Roach is destroying Essendon here, he has just kicked his fourth for the quarter and his 3rd opponent Max Crow has had to be moved off him, and now Centre Half Forward Alan Noonan has been moved to full back onto him....and we are not even in time on yet, and he has missed a couple as well, so he could have had 6."

When we were on one of the main stations like 3LO or 3KZ and playing Carlton, I could not bear to listen if they got a run of goals against us. It was always a bit easier to cope with if it was Fitzroy or some other inoffensive club. My go to if Blues were getting on top of us was switch to another game altogether, in the hope that would cause us to start kicking goals. It was amazing how often that strategy worked. :tearsofjoy:

And you got good updates and bad updates. If I got a couple of "bad" updates in succession, I would be convinced that was because I was listening, and I would turn the radio off for a period, convinced that the longer I left if before turning it back on, the more likely I was to get a "good" update. Like: "Michael Roach is destroying Essendon here, he has just kicked his fourth for the quarter and his 3rd opponent Max Crow has had to be moved off him, and now Centre Half Forward Alan Noonan has been moved to full back onto him....and we are not even in time on yet, and he has missed a couple as well, so he could have had 6."

When we were on one of the main stations like 3LO or 3KZ and playing Carlton, I could not bear to listen if they got a run of goals against us. It was always a bit easier to cope with if it was Fitzroy or some other inoffensive club. My go to if Blues were getting on top of us was switch to another game altogether, in the hope that would cause us to start kicking goals. It was amazing how often that strategy worked. :tearsofjoy:
Loved those days.

The media loved putting the boot into Richmond even then but it was great when we dominated.

just heard on 3aw norf is gonna seek afl assistance for being shite fmd these campaigners no shame , low pick after low pick and they want more
They want Morris jr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why aren’t the AFL trying to stop Collingwood?
cos theyve won 2 flags in 69 years and lost countless grand finals

pies need a doogies 2016 all year to win a flag

just heard on 3aw norf is gonna seek afl assistance for being shite fmd these campaigners no shame , low pick after low pick and they want more
Rejected Rejection GIF by HULU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back