Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A statement of claim lodged in the Federal Court – which includes Hawthorn great Cyril Rioli, his wife, Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli, his ex-teammates Carl Peterson and Jermaine Miller-Lewis, and Indigenous ex-official Leon Egan and the partner of another former player – alleges that, due to “unlawful discrimination” by Hawthorn, the players suffered “distress”, “psychological harm” and “personal harm”.

Cyril Rioli and Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli

• Alastair Clarkson called Cyril Rioli “Humphrey B Bear” throughout his career at Hawthorn. In the claim, it was said that this “thereby associated Mr Rioli with a black bear and chose to publicly refer to him in that way.”
  • In their claim, Rioli and Ah Sam-Rioli say that during Cyril’s time at Hawthorn, club employees “regularly said things to Mr Rioli that were culturally ignorant”.
  • The claim said, that on an end of season trip in 2013, Indigenous player Bradley Hill was asked by senior player Grant Birchall whether Hill’s partner was also a “boong” – an alleged comment that Hill was said to have relayed to his teammate Rioli. Hawthorn did not take any action in response to this incident, the Rioli statement of claim said.
  • The Rioli claim said that the 2015 Norm Smith medallist felt “culturally unsafe at Hawthorn” and that Ah Sam-Rioli didn’t take part in wives and girlfriends (WAG) events at the club as a result of feeling culturally unsafe.
  • The claim said that in April 2016, Ah Sam-Rioli took her husband’s nephew, aged 13 or 14, to the players’ rooms, where a Hawthorn staffer asked to see their wristbands and said to the boy, “now you behave yourself when you go in there”.
  • The Rioli statement said Clarkson had visited Cyril Rioli’s father, “unannounced,” in an Alice Springs hospital after Rioli senior suffered a heart attack in 2017.
  • During his visit to Alice Springs, Clarkson said to Mr Rioli words to this effect: “Why do these Aboriginals have darker skin that you?”
  • The statement also alleged that, at a meeting at the home of Cyril Rioli’s uncle in 2011, the coach questioned Rioli about how the off-season was going, and then said words to the effect “be careful not to have babies and understand that your career has just taken off and that a child will disrupt your career or potentially end it”.

There are more indigenous Australians in the article.

To link Humphrey B Bear to race is laughable.

Ditto the boy being spoken to before entering the rooms.

Perhaps the education needs to be both ways.

This is a difficult topic.

I would err on the side of kindness and understanding but I'm confused that those specific incidents were put before the federal court.

*I did not read the entire document I linked to. It might paint a different picture.

Humphrey B Bear is black.

I thought he was brown
Sorry, I’ll rephrase, Humphrey is a bear of colour.
Wonder why someone would refer to an Indigenous man in this way.

Doesn’t sound culturally safe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was taken as meaning that Clarkson (page 21) “… associated Mr Rioli with a black bear and chose to publicly refer to him in that way.”

It was taken as meaning that Clarkson (page 21) “… associated Mr Rioli with a black bear and chose to publicly refer to him in that way.”
I know the guy who was inside the Humphrey Bear suit. He was a producer if children's shows at channel 9. He was later accused of "interfering" with young children.
Edit: The charges were later dismissed but the stigma had a huge impact on him.

I know the guy who was inside the Humphrey Bear suit. He was a producer if children's shows at channel 9. He was later accused of "interfering" with young children.
Edit: The charges were later dismissed but the stigma had a huge impact on him.
Is that why you moved to Thailand?

Is that why you moved to Thailand?
Seems quite a few BF posters are digital nomads

Software Engineers GIF by Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back