Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said it before... but I'll say it again... it's beyond staggering that we picked this guy in the draft ahead of Aaron Naughton...

With the benefit of hindsight? Of course.

But after his first year when he emphatically won the rising star and came within a kick of being a premiership player, nobody was questioning our decision to draft him. Nobody was saying “Gee, Aaron Naughton would have been a better option”.

If Stephenson continued his trajectory he would be one of the best players in the comp and still only 25.

Obviously that all changed, but none of us punters could have foreseen that. Has there been a greater fall from grace? (Clayton Oliver is a bit different because he’s still largely maintained his form)

But after his first year when he emphatically won the rising star and came within a kick of being a premiership player, nobody was questioning our decision to draft him. Nobody was saying “Gee, Aaron Naughton would have been a better option”.

If Stephenson continued his trajectory he would be one of the best players in the comp and still only 25.

Obviously that all changed, but none of us punters could have foreseen that. Has there been a greater fall from grace? (Clayton Oliver is a bit different because he’s still largely maintained his form)
The only thing to say about it is that Naughton was the type of player we needed, but repeatedly didn't draft.
Stevo was drafted on the "best available" principle, and, as you say, would have been a great player if his first season had been the start, rather than a one off.
He's clearly NQR in the head.

Hey folks, most of you probably wouldn’t know but I’m a stats nerd and a spreadsheet enthusiast. I’ve just wrapped up season 6 of my Brownlow Predictor and would love to share it with you all 👍🏼

Leaderboards, BP comparisons, Round by Round & Club by Club breakdowns!

Purely a hobby & 100% opinion based, don’t get salty if it doesn’t look how you think it will 😊 Spreadsheet available beneath the screenshots. Follow me on Twitter jjsmitty8 if you wanna be able to open the link on a PC ✌🏼

View attachment 2094697

View attachment 2094700

View attachment 2094701

View attachment 2094702

I hope you’re wrong, fellow spreadsheet nerd 🤓

All the Petracca talk has me watching the KB game again.

The injury, while nasty, does not look like it should have caused so much damage. It’s quite shocking how bad that ended up. How much more damage was caused from going back out on the ground? We’ll never know!

When he did come back out, he walks the boundary and shakes his head. It looks like he’s saying he’s not right and sits down on the bench.

A min or two later, he’s up and waiting to come on and he runs on.

He looks visibly ill and pale.

He has about 6 uncontested possessions because our blokes could see he wasn’t right went easy on him.

If he played some other sides, he’d likely be dead now. They’d have tested him out. I’m glad we’re not thugs!

Anyway was interesting watching it again with fresh perspective.

All the Petracca talk has me watching the KB game again.

The injury, while nasty, does not look like it should have caused so much damage. It’s quite shocking how bad that ended up. How much more damage was caused from going back out on the ground? We’ll never know!

When he did come back out, he walks the boundary and shakes his head. It looks like he’s saying he’s not right and sits down on the bench.

A min or two later, he’s up and waiting to come on and he runs on.

He looks visibly ill and pale.

He has about 6 uncontested possessions because our blokes could see he wasn’t right went easy on him.

If he played some other sides, he’d likely be dead now. They’d have tested him out. I’m glad we’re not thugs!

Anyway was interesting watching it again with fresh perspective.
the injury happens just as Q-time siren sounds.

he's immediately writhing in excruciating pain. it takes him 5+ mins just to get off the ground .. he can't straighten himself, can barely walk, he does appear to be struggling to breathe

after he's been injected and re-appears, he does look decidedly ill and ghost-like / pale in colour .. even with pain killers on board, at no time does he look comfortable / normal / free of severe pain

back on the field, Moore &/or Crisp (apparently) say to him that he doesn't look right and ask "..if he should be out on the field" ..neither have completed their medical degrees. the footy commentary team wonder why no one from the Pies has "tested him out.. as would have happened back in the day"

not sure anyone at the ground - apart from Melb's medical & coaching crew - believed he was right to play a game of AFL

ps: how many times has the media re-inforced the fact that D.Moore's knee injured Trac?
how many times has the media mentioned Pies' players kid-gloves / altruistic / compassionate treatment of Trac after he went back on?

the injury happens just as Q-time siren sounds.

he's immediately writhing in excruciating pain. it takes him 5+ mins just to get off the ground .. he can't straighten himself, can barely walk, he does appear to be struggling to breathe

after he's been injected and re-appears, he does look decidedly ill and ghost-like / pale in colour .. even with pain killers on board, at no time does he look comfortable / normal / free of severe pain

back on the field, Moore &/or Crisp (apparently) say to him that he doesn't look right and ask "..if he should be out on the field" ..neither have completed their medical degrees. the footy commentary team wonder why no one from the Pies has "tested him out.. as would have happened back in the day"

not sure anyone at the ground - apart from Melb's medical & coaching crew - believed he was right to play a game of AFL

ps: how many times has the media re-inforced the fact that D.Moore's knee injured Trac?
how many times has the media mentioned Pies' players kid-gloves / altruistic / compassionate treatment of Trac after he went back on?
That was disgusting hearing the commentators ask why we didn't target him.

Imagine if they had?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hhhmmm yeah nah… I have no way of proving it but I recall thinking the morning after the draft “I wonder why we didn’t go for that big kid from WA”…

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back