Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Courier Mail reporting that Mac Andrew has re-signed with Gold Coast. Six years with a trigger for four more. The biggest deal in AFL history.

Just a dumb footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon GC have just cursed Mac’s career. That deal is crazy.
The only saving grace is that it has a trigger clause, so if career trajectory doesn’t go as planned at least there’s some sort of fail-safe. I’d be interested to know what the triggers are though.

The only saving grace is that it has a trigger clause, so if career trajectory doesn’t go as planned at least there’s some sort of fail-safe. I’d be interested to know what the triggers are though.
How long into the deal does he get home sick and requests a trade back to Vic? 😂 these deals are getting out of hand.

There is one other saving grace - he was on Melbourne's NGA list, and they missed out! :p

How long into the deal does he get home sick and requests a trade back to Vic? 😂 these deals are getting out of hand.
Right? Like, in isolation if everything goes to plan, he becomes a premier KPP of the comp and he wants to stay at GC for his whole career, then Scodog10 probably ends up being correct and it’s a bargain. But there are so many variables. What happens if he hits his triggers but in year 6 gets an injury that hampers him for the next 4? What if he gets Lynch hamstrings during that period? What if he decides he wants to come back to vic in a few years but nobody believes he’s worth that contract anymore? Suddenly GC are in a Grundy situation where they have to pay a chunk of that massive salary for nearly a decade?

Those kind of contracts scare the shit out of me, and they did even before we gave Grundy his.

Heard has to play 60 Games in about 5 Seasons

Right? Like, in isolation if everything goes to plan, he becomes a premier KPP of the comp and he wants to stay at GC for his whole career, then Scodog10 probably ends up being correct and it’s a bargain. But there are so many variables. What happens if he hits his triggers but in year 6 gets an injury that hampers him for the next 4? What if he gets Lynch hamstrings during that period? What if he decides he wants to come back to vic in a few years but nobody believes he’s worth that contract anymore? Suddenly GC are in a Grundy situation where they have to pay a chunk of that massive salary for nearly a decade?

Those kind of contracts scare the shit out of me, and they did even before we gave Grundy his.
I’m not agreeing nor disagreeing with your post here just offering some context to my own.

Knowing what we now do does 9 years at $12m signed back in 2017 seem reasonable for Moore? We’re talking about a guy that’s shown roughly the same, but without the injury profile Moore had across his first 3 seasons. That contract would have seemed mad back in 2017 $’s, but would now be when it actually kicks into gear when $1m is par for the course for that type of player. The equivalent in 2024 $’s is closer to $18m over the life of the deal Andrew has signed.

The biggest flaw in it is going to be 2-3 years from now when he’s on $600-800k and there’s offers coming thick and fast at $1.5-2m pa. What it highlights to me is the need to find a couple of elite talls to come through our system because we’ve got Naicos through to the end of the decade on give or take $1m a year. How do you go out big game hunting when you’ve got the best player in the game taking unders? We can hardly throw $1.5m at JUH next time he’s off contract after what he dished up on Friday night, but that’s what it’ll take to dislodge him…

You need a top drawer FD to attract talent within a defined pay structure. We currently don’t have that efficient FD which is why the draft should be our focus, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back