Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

They duped us all with their outstanding form for most of the year but ultimately, they had holes which they couldn't cover when the real stuff started. Probably points to your assessment of how close the competition is atm. The flag is there for the taking next year if we can have a bit of luck
Warner, Heeney and Gulden need to be all firing. They cover up plenty of cracks in that team which really doesn’t have much of a backline or forward line.

It's certainly changed the environment for a side to win from outside top 4. Doesn't do much to favour the side that finishes on top like before it came in.

You’ve got a fair and valid point. Im just saying Richmond, West Coast, Melbourne, Geelong and Collingwood have all won flags in the same set up.

Maybe these teams have changed up what they do to fit the system. It’s not like it’s happening every second year. Yes it gives 5th to 8th a chance but at same time every other team I listed could overcome it.

For the record I’d rather a pre Grand Final bye.

Warner, Heeney and Gulden need to be all firing. They cover up plenty of cracks in that team which really doesn’t have much of a backline or forward line.
I'd add in Blakey.

For that reason I would have voted Dunkley and Achee for the norm smith. Took out a couple of stars and contributed in the other direction as well

You’ve got a fair and valid point. Im just saying Richmond, West Coast, Melbourne, Geelong and Collingwood have all won flags in the same set up.

Maybe these teams have changed up what they do to fit the system. It’s not like it’s happening every second year. Yes it gives 5th to 8th a chance but at same time every other team I listed could overcome it.

For the record I’d rather a pre Grand Final bye.
I think Sydney played above their actual ability most of the year. You're right, we aren't going to see it happen most years. If you take the two examples of Bulldogs and Lions, there seems to be an opportunity for sides who are on a roll from outside top 4 to win it. For me, it takes away from the side who finishes top a bit. It certainly gives me hope for next year

I think Sydney played above their actual ability most of the year. You're right, we aren't going to see it happen most years. If you take the two examples of Bulldogs and Lions, there seems to be an opportunity for sides who are on a roll from outside top 4 to win it. For me, it takes away from the side who finishes top a bit. It certainly gives me hope for next year

True and I do hope they change it. All I was saying was that I don’t think it’s the reason people make it out to be. It does certainly disadvantage the top 4 teams though.

Longmire is 1-4 in grand finals

63 point loss to Hawthorn
22 point loss to Western Bulldogs
81 point loss to Geelong
60 point loss to Brisbane

In Cat-Bird grand finals since 2000, the bird team has come up 5 times winners
maybe we should solve the fixturing issues by splitting into two conferences : things in the sky, and things on the ground. would work out 9-9 i think

Sydney look good up there on their own shoebox , umpires in their pockets
Not so good at the g when heat really on
So funny seeing the lizard running around like headless chook
Tom Pap smear and Heeney doing the disappearing act

And amatey .. how did he kick 9 in a game ????

I wouldn't read much into the Hawk and Cats ones - they were much better teams. Nor would I read much into two games 8 years apart with very different playing groups.
Not sure about this.
They beat the Cats in the regular season in 2022. And beat us in the PF, after we lost a nail biter against Geel.
So the form line in finals did not suggest Geel were the much better team.
We finished on the same points as the Swans, with Geel 2 games clear - I doubt we would have folded on GF day like they did.
Only possible excuse for them was youth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Isaac Heeney had been playing with a stress fracture in his ankle all finals series. Apparently he was sore after the Port game. Longmire selects him for the grand final anyway. Sure enough, the decision comes back to bite Sydney, with Heeney unable to play out the match. Longmire didn't learn his lesson from the Sam Reid debacle in 2022.

Last edited:
Not sure about this.
They beat the Cats in the regular season in 2022. And beat us in the PF, after we lost a nail biter against Geel.
So the form line in finals did not suggest Geel were the much better team.
We finished on the same points as the Swans, with Geel 2 games clear - I doubt we would have folded on GF day like they did.
Only possible excuse for them was youth.
Cats were on a Blues Brothers style mission. No one was stopping them on GF Day.

The clowns is just a computer that spits out a score based on statistical inputs.
Champion Data has always been a bit of a wank IMO. No doubt statistics are important, but the eye test often makes we wonder about some of the calls they make. People can be over-reliant on what certain numbers tell them (David King used to make himself sound silly by regurgitating their data incessantly when he'd be better off telling it how he sees it)

So Isaac Heeney had been playing with a stress fracture in his ankle all finals series. Apparently he was sore after the Port game. Longmire selects him for the grand final anyway. Sure enough, the decision comes back to bite Sydney, with Heeney unable to play out the match.
Longmire didn't learn his lesson from Sam Reid in 2022.
You understand Heeney, but why would you go in with an unfit McDonald. He's not that good when 100%.

Longmire might be too intense for a modern day coach. Their players are all bound up on GF day.

Compare that to Fly and Fagan. They get the players relaxed and believing in themselves.
The Brisbane guys looked a lot more like the Pies guys in '23 in the build up and running out on the ground. Rleaxed and enjoying the moment. Was a telling sign imo. In contrast, the look on Dane Rampes face holding the cup at the parade was one of sheer terror at the thought of failing again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back