Our current top 25 in order

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview

Naitanui I still believe is hugely over rated, (mainly by the media) he has match winning ability and does some freakish things. But consistantly at this minute is what we are talking about, not potentially. I still say if he has half the career of Cox then he will of done very well.
So where do you reckon Naitanui should be ranked?

Still behind Rosa?

I wrote this in the WAFL thread the other day, but interestingly on squawk talk (west coast podcast) Brennan, Schofield and Morton gave thier take on our top 3 players.

Morton:
1. NicNat
2. Kennedy
3. Hurn

Brennan
1. NicNat
2. Hurn
3. Cox

Schofield
1. NicNat
2. EMac
3. Hurn

I wrote this in the WAFL thread the other day, but interestingly on squawk talk (west coast podcast) Brennan, Schofield and Morton gave thier take on our top 3 players.

Morton:
1. NicNat
2. Kennedy
3. Hurn

Brennan
1. NicNat
2. Hurn
3. Cox

Schofield
1. NicNat
2. EMac
3. Hurn

Mmm, Charizard and Hurn seem like common threads, and I would tend to agree. Would've thought a Kerr/Masto would've cracked a mention.

Barring injury, how many games does Brown play?

If we really resolve to shoehorn Brown into our back six, it might mean releasing Schofield to play elsewhere and having Brown, Glass and Mackenzie as our three defensive talls.

Having those three together always worries me because they are all dodgy kicks. Glass and McKenzie especially will only kick as a last resort. McKenzie kicking under 20m is a disaster waiting to happen, over about 30 metres he's better but is clearly under instructions to find a target, any target, when he has to kick rather than trust his instinct and go long, but sometimes he has no option.

If I was an opposition coach I'd actually manufacture the ball getting into their hands deep in defence; if a mark deep or kick in by us I'd sag off these 3 and clamp down on Hurn, Waters, Schofield, Smith, Butler etc. When they're under pressure to kick it the other team is in a real good spot with a turnover strong a possibility. The Eagles like to work it the other way, one of these 3 get the ball then dish it off to the good ball users.

By way of contrast, one of Sydney's real strengths is that the likes of Richards, Grundy, Malceski, Mattner, Shaw are all excellent ball users; they don't have use a two phase operation to get it to a good ball user which means they can go into attack much quicker.[/quote]

Here we go the good old hindsight post. Well done champ!!!
What the hell is a 'hindsight post'? Is this the new one-liner people roll out when they want to duck realities that undermine their earlier view?

Seems like 'hindsight post' is nuff-nuff code for 'turns out you were right, Mr Dargie'?

I started this thread before the season so I don't know what hindsight has to do with it. It's the opposite of hindsight i.e. foresight. I'm just asking you to revisit your claim that Naitanui is over-rated and is behind Rosa, for example.

I challenged you on it at the time – again, nothing to do with hindsight.

To refresh your memory:

Nicnat in top 2????? He does some amazing things no doubt but he is not in our top 2 players importance wise and especially best wise in my opinion.

My top 10 players in the club who consistently perform week in week out.

Dean Cox
Darren Glass
Mark Lecras
Andrew Gaff
Jack Darling
Daniel Kerr (Can be shut down)
Scott Selwood
Shannon Hurn
Mat Priddis (Opposition don't care how many touches he gets)
Mat Rosa
Yes behind Rosa as an around the ground player in my view, as a ruckman he is leaps and bounds ahead of Rosa. lol
This is not a Rosa v Nicnat thing, Rosa is an Average/good AFL player. No star. But he performs pretty consistently in my view.
Nicnats consistancy is only relevant to the club itself, to the media and to the supporters he can have 5 touches for the game one of which was a freak mark and he will be the talk of the game.

You talk about impact yet I am not sure how many games I have left thinking without Nicnat we would of lost. I regularly say without Cox we would of been beaten.

Why are you trying to turn this into a debate, my view is what it is. It is just an opinion. There is no Obsession with how he is painted because we all know how Hyped up he is.
What do you have to say about that now?

Is your view still 'what it is'? Or is your view now the one I advised you was more accurate?

No Kennedy in your list either. What were you smoking in February?

So at the moment in order.

1. Naitanui
2. Hurn
3. Shuey
4. Priddis
5. Kerr
6. Cox
7. S.Selwood
8. Hill
9. Gaff
10. Masten
11. Kennedy
12. Darling
13. Waters
14. Wellingham
15. Schofield
16. LeCras
17. Glass
18. Rosa
19. McGinnity
20. Mackenzie
21. Butler
22. Embley
23. Hams
24. Nicoski
25. A.Selwood

26. Morton
27. Smith
28. Sheppard
29. Brennan
30. Cripps
31. Bennell
32. Brown
33. Daziell
34. Sinclair
35. Lyett
36. Hutchings
37. Newman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So at the moment in order.

1. Naitanui
2. Hurn
3. Shuey
4. Priddis
5. Kerr
6. Cox
7. S.Selwood
8. Hill
9. Gaff
10. Masten
11. Kennedy
12. Darling
13. Waters
14. Wellingham
15. Schofield
16. LeCras
17. Glass
18. Rosa
19. McGinnity
20. Mackenzie
21. Butler
22. Embley
23. Hams
24. Nicoski
25. A.Selwood

26. Morton
27. Smith
28. Sheppard
29. Brennan
30. Cripps
31. Bennell
32. Brown
33. Daziell
34. Sinclair
35. Lyett
36. Hutchings
37. Newman

keanue-reeves-mind-blown.jpg

May aswell take a stab at our top 25 -(on 2013 form)

1.Naitanui(this is now really obvious,i would've had him top 5-10 pre-season)
2.Masten
3.Kennedy
4.Glass
5.Shuey
6.S.Selwood
7.Darling
8.Cox
9.Kerr
10.Priddis
11.Mackenzie
12.Hill
13.Gaff
14.Lecras
15.Sheppard
16.Rosa
17.Waters
18.Brennan
19.Butler
20.Schofield
21.Wellingham
22.Hutchings

23.Brown
24.Dalziell
25.Cripps
26.A.Selwood
27.Embley
28.Hams
29.Smith

Thats a lot harder than i thought, probably 1 or 2 glaring omissions.

Some players higher/lower than i rate them because of injurys/form.

I think Kerr is still our most important midfielder, unfortunately.

In fairness,if you put him in Collingwood or Hawthorn he would still be their most valuable midfielder come finals time. Its the thing that keeps him ahead of Shuey and Masten is his finals games..hopefully they can raise the bar this year.

is emac now more important than glass in terms of taking the big forward? not taking anything away from glasses great leadership and will to win every contest.

I think Kerr is still our most important midfielder, unfortunately.

Potentially. His ability to get clean hands is unmatched, the problem is he has a lot less outside hurt factor these days.

Shuey is now our most important midfielder.

is emac now more important than glass in terms of taking the big forward? not taking anything away from glasses great leadership and will to win every contest.

This is my post from pre-season...

I'm not even going to try posting a top 25, I would not know where to start. Something I would have to give serious consideration would be Mackenzie vs Glass. Is there an argument to have Mackenzie ahead of Glass? I see this task as sort of a positional thing weighing up who is most important/harder to cover in their position.

NN v Cox
Kennedy v Darling
Shuey v S Selwood
Glass v Mackenzie
Waters v Schofield?
Hurn v Butler
Gaff v Rosa
Priddis v Kerr

etc etc.

I'd probably work my way down the spine, and then include the outside players. So stuff it, I'll try posting something.

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Shuey
4. Mackenzie
5. Darling
6. Kerr
7. Glass
8. Lecras
9. S Selwood
10. Cox
11. Waters
12. Gaff
13. Schofield
14. Hurn
15. Priddis
16. Masten
17. Wellingham (One of the hardest to place - Could easily be top 10 come end of the season)
18. Rosa
19. Hill
20. Butler
21. Embley
22. A Selwood
23. Sheppard
24. McGinnity
25. Brown

Harsh on the vets Cox/Glass. However they have been surpassed by NN/Mackenzie respectively, thus couldn't place them higher than their counterparts. Call me crazy. A little controversial, but I'll go with it. The rest of the list is probably about right.

I'm reasonably happy with that so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our current top 25 in order

Remove this Banner Ad

Back