Our current top 25 in order

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I'll agree that they wouldn't have been interested in Priddis, and that we'd be better off with O'Meara.

Let's see what we can get him for at the end of 2014, when he's done his 2 years in Qld and Gold Coast will be pushing for a flag and may be slightly more willing to accept players at the end of their careers than a club that's quite happy finishing 18th for a few years in a row while they stockpile teenagers.

I fear how much he would cost :eek:

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Cox
4. Glass
5. Darling
6. Shuey
7. Selwood
8. Kerr
9. LeCras
10. Mackenzie
11. Waters
12. Hurn
13. Schofield
14. Priddis
15. Gaff
16. Wellingham
17. Masten
18. Rosa
19. Hill
20. Butler
21. Embley
22. Selwood
23. McGinnity
24. Sheppard
25. Nicoski
How does the list look 12 months later?

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Cox
5. LeCras
6. Glass
7. Darling
8. Selwood
9. Masten
10. Shuey
11. Hurn
12. Wellingham
13. Priddis
14. Gaff
15. Yeo
16. Rosa
17. Waters
18. Hill
19. Ellis
20. Brown
21. Schofield
22. Hutchings
23. Lycett
24. Butler
25. Sheed

Pretty comfortable with the top 3. But positions 4-13 gave me some trouble. Trying to strike a balance between how good they have been, how good they will be and how good we need them to be.

Waters is downgraded because of injury.

Cripps would be the next man in. You could argue he could be ahead of Sheed. But I like the look of Sheed and reckon he gives us something a bit different. And I'm still not quite sure what Cripps' role is or will be.

Also not too sure where to place Brown. He'll probably be required to hold down a key defensive post, despite not being one of our best two key defenders. On one hand, if he gets injured we can cover him. On the other, if he has a good season, he could be a lot higher this time next year.

Any glaring errors? Apologies to those who believe Colledge and/or Tunbridge are on the verge of greatness.

Last edited:

1. Kennedy
  2. Naitanui
  3. Cox
  4. Mackenzie
  5. LeCras
  6. Glass
  7. Darling
  8. Hurn
  9. Masten
  10. Selwood
  11. Priddis
  12. Shuey
  13. Wellingham
  14. Yeo
  15. Waters
  16. Ellis
  17. Rosa
  18. Gaff
  19. Hill
  20. Brown
  21. Cripps
  22. Hutchings
  23. Schofield
  24. Lycett
  25. Tunbridge/Sheed
Mine differs to yours Ian in that I have Tunbridge and Cripps higher in my personal ratings. You could probably have either he or Sheed they're both talented and on the verge of breaking into the 22. I feel Kennedy is our best player, Masten as our best mid and Shuey and Gaff lower in my ratings due to particularly poor 2013 seasons and average preseasons.

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Hurn
5. Glass
6. Masten
7. Shuey
8. Darling
9. LeCras
10. Cox
11. Selwood
12. Ellis
13. Priddis
14. Yeo
15. Wellingham
16. Gaff
17. Waters
18. Hutchings
19. Rosa
19. Schofield
20. Brown
21. Sheed
22. Sinclair
23. Cripps
24. Lycett
25. McGovern

Last edited:
1. Kennedy ^
2. Naitanui -
3. Mackenzie -
4. Shuey -
5. Hurn -
6. Darling -
7. Masten ^
8. Cox v
9. Glass -
10.Yeo ^
11. Selwood -
12. Gaff ^
13. Wellingham ^
14. Priddis v
15. Ellis ^
16. Waters v
17. Schofield -
18. Brown ^
19. Lycett -
20. Cripps ^
21. Hutchings ^
22. Sheed ^
23. Tunbridge ^^
24. Sinclair -
25. Rosa vv

Last edited:
1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Cox
5. LeCras
6. Glass
7. Darling
8. Selwood
9. Masten
10. Shuey
11. Hurn
12. Wellingham
13. Priddis
14. Gaff
15. Yeo
16. Rosa
17. Waters
18. Hill
19. Ellis
20. Brown
21. Schofield
22. Hutchings
23. Lycett
24. Butler
25. Sheed

Pretty comfortable with the top 3. But positions 4-13 gave me some trouble. Trying to strike a balance between how good they have been, how good they will be and how good we need them to be.

Waters is downgraded because of injury.

Cripps would be the next man in. You could argue he could be ahead of Sheed. But I like the look of Sheed and reckon he gives us something a bit different. And I'm still not quite sure what Cripps' role is or will be.

Also not too sure where to place Brown. He'll probably be required to hold down a key defensive post, despite not being one of our best two key defenders. On one hand, if he gets injured we can cover him. On the other, if he has a good season, he could be a lot higher this time next year.

Any glaring errors? Apologies to those who believe Colledge and/or Tunbridge are on the verge of greatness.
ellis could definitely jump 4 or 5 spots within a few weeks I would say.hurn and wellingham might be higher too but hard to see who they nudge out,and hopefully lecras can stay that high

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Hurn
5. Glass
6. Cox
7. Darling
8. Shuey
9. Selwood
10. LeCras
11. Priddis
12. Masten
13. Wellingham
14. Gaff
15. Waters*
16. Brown
17. Ellis
18. Yeo
19. Rosa
20. Cripps
21. Schofield
22. Hill
23. Lycett
24. Sheed
25. Carter

I feel that Schofield is going to be the big loser out of our off-season recruitment (even forgetting Brown's good form).

If Waters is fit, he goes to about 7 in my eyes. I see pretty distinct groups (excluding Waters) in 1-5, 6-9, 10-14, 16-22, 23 onwards.

1 Kennedy
2 MacKenzie
3 Naitanui
4 Glass
5 Cox
6 LeCras
7 Masten
8 Darling
9 Shuey
10 Wellingham
11 Yeo
12 Hurn
13 Selwood
14 Priddis
15 Gaff
16 Ellis
17 Waters
18 Schofield
19 Brown
20 Sheed
21 Rosa
22 Hill
23 Hutchings
24 Carter
25 Lycett

Last edited:
1. Kennedy ^
2. Naitanui -
3. Mackenzie -
4. Shuey -
5. Hurn -
6. Darling -
7. Masten ^
8. Cox v
9. Glass -
10.Yeo ^
11. Selwood -
12. Gaff ^
13. Wellingham ^
14. Priddis v
15. Ellis ^
16. Waters v
17. Schofield -
18. Brown ^
19. Lycett -
20. Cripps ^
21. Hutchings ^
22. Sheed ^
23. Tunbridge ^^
24. Sinclair -
25. Rosa vv
I don't think LeCras is as important or as good as some lists project him (based on 2013) but to leave him out of your 25 :eek:!!!

I don't think LeCras is as important or as good as some lists project him (based on 2013) but to leave him out of your 25 :eek:!!!

lol. Slide him in somewhere like
above Wellingham.

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Darling
5. Hurn
6. Shuey
7. Masten
8. LeCras
9. Cox
10. Selwood
11. Gaff
12. Wellingham
13. Yeo
14. Priddis
15. Ellis
15. Hutchings
16. Schofield
17. Brown
18. Glass
19. Rosa
20. Cripps
21. Lycett
22. Sinclair
23. Butler (Unpopular but he offers more than Bennell or Carter at the moment, so bleh)
24. Sheppard
25. Sheed

Obviously Lycett, Schofield, Sinclair wouldn't be in the same team, but on talent they offer a fair bit more than others in our squad so I've slotted them to the lower end of the 25.

Glass is lower because I believe his value comes from his intangibles (Leadership and experience), rather than the skills he brings to his role at this stage in his career. I'm confident that if Schofield was given an extended run being a third tall defender/rebounder circa 2012 he would outperform Glass at it, at least in pure statistics, though ultimately because of Schoey's relative inexperience it is undoubtable that defensive unit would perform more poorly because it would be missing Glass' knowledge.

18. Glass

Glass is lower because I believe his value comes from his intangibles (Leadership and experience), rather than the skills he brings to his role at this stage in his career. I'm confident that if Schofield was given an extended run being a third tall defender/rebounder circa 2012 he would outperform Glass at it, at least in pure statistics, though ultimately because of Schoey's relative inexperience it is undoubtable that defensive unit would perform more poorly because it would be missing Glass' knowledge.
Jesus, that's harsh. It's not like Glass has dropped off massively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Darling
5. Hurn
6. Shuey
7. Masten
8. LeCras
9. Cox
10. Selwood
11. Gaff
12. Wellingham
13. Yeo
14. Priddis
15. Ellis
15. Hutchings
16. Schofield
17. Brown
18. Glass
19. Rosa
20. Cripps
21. Lycett
22. Sinclair
23. Butler (Unpopular but he offers more than Bennell or Carter at the moment, so bleh)
24. Sheppard
25. Sheed

Obviously Lycett, Schofield, Sinclair wouldn't be in the same team, but on talent they offer a fair bit more than others in our squad so I've slotted them to the lower end of the 25.

He hasn't lost a one on one battle in years. Big or small.

He hasn't lost a one on one battle in years. Big or small.

Jesus, that's harsh. It's not like Glass has dropped off massively.

I felt harsh doing it, and he'll probably prove me wrong the champion that he is, but I'm of the opinion he'll be borderline 22 by the end of the season, though I hope not for his sake and the team's.

P
The fact that a majority of posters do not have a midfielder in their top 5s shows how far off the pace we are. Can't compete seriously with the lot we have.
Perhaps the midfield is less important than we have believed?
The Pies have 2 maybe 3 elite mids and yet they get thrashed by a team of good workhorses!

P

Perhaps the midfield is less important than we have believed?
The Pies have 2 maybe 3 elite mids and yet they get thrashed by a team of good workhorses!

Mundy is Elite. Who else in our midfield is on his level? We need an elite game changing match winning midfielder.

That's interesting. As a forward or a back?

Position wasn't considered when I posted my list. I just put forward who I believed were WC's best 25 players.

KPD is where WC have a greater need. Brown has plenty to prove and isn't a lock for CHB - though he gets first crack at it. Given McGovern's strong marking CHF could also be his go, tank pending. He's proved to be a capable forward in the WAFL.

During the preseason WC used McInnes as a KPF, while McGovern was a KPD. Perhaps that gives an indication as to what role WC have in mind for those two.

Fit McGovern in where the team needs him. I'm confident in his ability to play both ends of the ground. I also think he's ahead of McInnes at this stage, if they're vying for the same role.

Last edited:
Position wasn't considered when I posted my list. I just put forward who I believed were WC's best 25 players.

KPD is where WC have a greater need. Brown has plenty to prove and isn't a lock for CHB - though he gets first crack at it. Given McGovern's strong marking CHF could also be his go, tank pending. He's proved to be a capable forward in the WAFL.

During the preseason WC used McInnes as a KPF, while McGovern was a KPD. Perhaps that gives an indication as to what role WC have in mind for those two.

Fit McGovern in where the team needs him. I'm confident in his ability to play both ends of the ground. I also think he's ahead of McInnes at this stage, if they're vying for the same role.

Gov goes for marks too where as Brown is always looking to spoint. Add to that, he's actually a good field kick.
I'd love to have him start CHB at some point during the season.

1. NN
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Masten
5. Glass
6. Hurn
7. Shuey
8. Priddis
9. Selwood
10. Darling
11. Lecras
12. Wellingham
13. Gaff
14. Waters
15. Schofield
16. Ellis
17. Yeo
18. Rosa
19. Hutchings
20. Brown
21. Hill
22. Sheed
23. Sinclair
24. Lycett
25. Cripps
No Cox?

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Cox
5. LeCras
6. Glass
7. Darling
8. Selwood
9. Masten
10. Shuey
11. Hurn
12. Wellingham
13. Priddis
14. Gaff
15. Yeo
16. Rosa
17. Waters
18. Hill
19. Ellis
20. Brown
21. Schofield
22. Hutchings
23. Lycett
24. Butler
25. Sheed

Agreed with the bulk of this. Running down the list from the top:

Cox is probably a bit lower than #4 for me since we could still put together a pretty top-notch ruck duo with Naitanui and Lycett, plus this is (close to?) his last season.

I would swap Masten and Selwood, Masten contributed more overall hast year IMO and it will take Selwood some time without injury to get back to his best form. By the end of the year, your ranking of them might be accurate though.

I would also have Hurn way higher on the list (probably at #4 for me), I think he was a critical part of our rise in 2011/2012 with his ability to get the ball out of defense almost straight to our forwards. Even if his possession count was low, they were generally excellent possessions, with many contributing to scoring shots.

Similarly, after seeing Ellis play, I think he should be higher on the list for similar reasons to Hurn. When fit (the big 'when') he's rock solid in defence and his skills are elite.

My feeling is that if Hurn, Yeo and Ellis stay on the park this year, then they will be able to give our midfield enough supply on the rebound that even if we're losing the clearance count, we can still dominate games. I think we were pretty poor at HB last year and that was a big reason why we played so poorly; once we lost possession, the opponent had a much easier time getting the ball downfield to score, and our mids and forwards had to do a lot of extra running back into defence to cover our gaps there. With three solid HB'ers who can turn the flow of the game around, we're a much more robust team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our current top 25 in order

Remove this Banner Ad

Back