Other Teams
Crows!!
I present you with my expected debut for our draftees:

1. John Meesen - Mid - Late 2005

2. Nathan Van Berlo - Early 2006

3. Chad Gibson - Late 2005

4. Ivan Maric - Mid 2006

5. Chris Knights - 2006

I think that the crows can certainly look forward to an abundance of rock solid talls. We now have 2 talls who can crash and bash with gibson and fergus watts, one at each end of the ground.

Heath Grundy, Danyle Pearce and another midfielder would be appropriate for the Rookie Draft and if we have 1 pick thru stevens Adam Fisher would be a good brew.

ferguswatts said:
I present you with my expected debut for our draftees:

1. John Meesen - Mid - Late 2005

2. Nathan Van Berlo - Early 2006

3. Chad Gibson - Late 2005

4. Ivan Maric - Mid 2006

5. Chris Knights - 2006

I think that the crows can certainly look forward to an abundance of rock solid talls. We now have 2 talls who can crash and bash with gibson and fergus watts, one at each end of the ground.

Heath Grundy, Danyle Pearce and another midfielder would be appropriate for the Rookie Draft and if we have 1 pick thru stevens Adam Fisher would be a good brew.

Very very close to what I would expect... Maric maybe even into 2007 ..his lack of experience concerns and I wouldnt throw him in too early (unless injuries say otherwise) let him develop in the SANFL

PerthCrow said:
Very very close to what I would expect... Maric maybe even into 2007 ..his lack of experience concerns and I wouldnt throw him in too early (unless injuries say otherwise) let him develop in the SANFL

I wouldn't be surprised to see Van Berlo at some stage in 2005, and think he may well be the first to debut (barring ruck injuries or suspensions to Clarke, Hudson and/or Biglands that see Meesen come in earlier than expected). It happened to us in 1999 so you never know....

Van Berlo improved pretty rapidly last year and has played against men in the WAFL, only a few games granted, but that's more than our other draftees. He is also more versatile in terms of positions he can play, so I think is a chance if he can play some good footy in the SANFL.

tinman said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Van Berlo at some stage in 2005, and think he may well be the first to debut (barring ruck injuries or suspensions to Clarke, Hudson and/or Biglands that see Meesen come in earlier than expected). It happened to us in 1999 so you never know....

Van Berlo improved pretty rapidly last year and has played against men in the WAFL, only a few games granted, but that's more than our other draftees. He is also more versatile in terms of positions he can play, so I think is a chance if he can play some good footy in the SANFL.
Way too skinny needs a good 8 months in the gym IMO

16_11_04_1-1.jpg

Van Berlo left Le Cras right..

tinman said:

I reckon you are right :)

If anyone is going to play next year its probably going to be Van Berlo and if we are desperate Meesen.

I don't expect Maric to make a debut for a couple of years at least.

PerthCrow said:
Way too skinny needs a good 8 months in the gym IMO

16_11_04_1-1.jpg

Van Berlo left Le Cras right..
Not neccessarily mate. Jericho and Mattner are skinny bast*rds yet they do reasonably well in the AFL games.

Also this year, Sam Butler player quite a few games with West Coast but he is one skinny kid.

I would say Van Berlo on HBF or wing based on teh fact that he has already played seniors and did reasonably well.

Alot of you guys have Meesen debuting before Maric which i guess is logical (pick 8 v 40) but looking at the stats Meeson 200cm/88kg Vs. Maric 197/99 it would seem Maric would be much more developed physically? I've never seen them play but both sound awesome :)

jo172 said:
Alot of you guys have Meesen debuting before Maric which i guess is logical (pick 8 v 40) but looking at the stats Meeson 200cm/88kg Vs. Maric 197/99 it would seem Maric would be much more developed physically? I've never seen them play but both sound awesome :)
With Maric and Meesen is not a question of physical development but more with football development. Maric is a very raw player. He might turn out to be better than Meesen but he will take longer to get an AFL game IMHO.

Well here's Craigy's thoughts on the issue.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=178248

Crows picks to press for selection: Craig
3:59:07 PM Sat 20 November, 2004
Jordan Chong
Sportal
Adelaide Crows coach Neil Craig says the club's five draftees will be given every opportunity to press for selection in 2005.

The Crows picked up three talls - 199cm John Meesen (pick 8), 195cm Chad Gibson (28) and 198cm Ivan Marek - among their five selections, with the other two midfielders Nathan Van Berlo (24) and Chris Knights (56).

"I'm certainly not going to say 'you just ease yourself in for the next two years and we'll have a look at you'. I'm not interested in that, I'm interested in people who actually want to play the game and want to play it as quickly as they can," Craig said.

"With all our guys, I personally won't be putting any limitations on them. If they demonstrate by training performance and ultimately playing performance that they are ready to play, they'll play."

With only one South Australian (Gibson) among the five new arrivals, the Crows are conscious of making the four draftees from interstate feel at home as quickly as possible.

"It's our responsibility as a club to put a structure around them that enables them to feel part of our system, to feel comfortable playing in it and to feel that they are important in the whole structure."

"There's no question we've got to do that better as a club and we've already taken measures to do that."

Maric (Calder Cannons), Knights (Eastern Rangers) and Meesen (Geelong Falcons) are from Victoria while Van Berlo played for West Perth in the WAFL.

Despite losing Tyson Stenglein to the West Coast Eagles during the recent trade period, Craig said home-state considerations played little part in the decision-making process.

"Talent and their ability to play the game has got the heaviest weighting. I think the home-town issue only becomes an issue when there is not too much between your players."

"Certainly our responsibility is to go with the people we think that can service our club."

With more than a dozen players drafted from South Australia, Craig did pay tribute to the work of the SANFL clubs in unearthing the state's young talented footballers.

"What it indicates is that the clubs in our local competition are really well organised and have some really good people working for them."

"I think history would show that's the way that South Australia goes about its football, identifying and developing people instead of buying people."

"I think it's an absolute credit to the SANFL clubs."

macca23 said:
"With all our guys, I personally won't be putting any limitations on them. If they demonstrate by training performance and ultimately playing performance that they are ready to play, they'll play."

Told ya all this guy could motivate players :D

jo172 said:

I must admit, I'm freakin' excited at the prospect of these 2 leading our rucks beyond the Biglands/Hudson/Clarke regime. They both sound like great athletes for their size. I also read somewhere where Chad Gibson was compared to Jonathon Brown. Oh god, please let that be true!!!

Interesting that Craig expects the draftee's to be pushing for selection next year, you can take one or two things from that:

1. Craig is putting pressure on the main squad with an attitude of perform or get dropped, I would imagine players like Biglands and Hudson would have huge lumps in their throats after yesterdays draft as now, probably later in 2005 they arent walk up starts if they arent performing.

2. Youth policy, I would expect to see this in the latter of 2005, I think in 2005 alot of under performing player's careers will come under consideration and can see a huge 'dud cleanout' at 2005 season's end. S.Stevens,Bode,Ladhams,Bock,Perrie etc are playing for there lives in 2005.

maccas_no1 said:
Interesting that Craig expects the draftee's to be pushing for selection next year, you can take one or two things from that:

1. Craig is putting pressure on the main squad with an attitude of perform or get dropped, I would imagine players like Biglands and Hudson would have huge lumps in their throats after yesterdays draft as now, probably later in 2005 they arent walk up starts if they arent performing.

2. Youth policy, I would expect to see this in the latter of 2005, I think in 2005 alot of under performing player's careers will come under consideration and can see a huge 'dud cleanout' at 2005 season's end. S.Stevens,Bode,Ladhams,Bock,Perrie etc are playing for there lives in 2005.

I go with number 1

I think Stiffy said in a previous thread that some of thos eplayers who may have felt comfortable are now just a bit more unsure and maybe/hopefully they pull their fingers out and play for their spot and not expect to be picked.

I also liken it to my comments on ''long term goals'' . If you have a 6 year plan it takes 6 years or more..because people coast along and dont grab an opportunity when it comes along you dont increase your chances of minimising that 6 year gap.

e.g. Maric may read and hear that its ok if he takes 2-3 years to develop so he doesnt work as hard as he should because his mind is saying ''I can work hard next week''

I liked NCs comments and can I say it now?

I CANT WAIT I CANT WAIT I CANT WAIT for 2005 to arrive

Hmm slogan? Crows arrive in 2005?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mymansyd said:
I must admit, I'm freakin' excited at the prospect of these 2 leading our rucks beyond the Biglands/Hudson/Clarke regime. They both sound like great athletes for their size. I also read somewhere where Chad Gibson was compared to Jonathon Brown. Oh god, please let that be true!!!
we don't want him to be exactly like Jonny Brown. Gibson will face the tribunal every week.

PerthCrow said:
I go with number 1

I think Stiffy said in a previous thread that some of thos eplayers who may have felt comfortable are now just a bit more unsure and maybe/hopefully they pull their fingers out and play for their spot and not expect to be picked.

I also liken it to my comments on ''long term goals'' . If you have a 6 year plan it takes 6 years or more..because people coast along and dont grab an opportunity when it comes along you dont increase your chances of minimising that 6 year gap.

e.g. Maric may read and hear that its ok if he takes 2-3 years to develop so he doesnt work as hard as he should because his mind is saying ''I can work hard next week''

I liked NCs comments and can I say it now?

Thats a good point - Neil Craig has surprised me in that he has gone for height and agression when I thought he may have gone for the "pretty" and skillful players.

Thumbs up Neil you have gone some way to getting my vote of confidence in your selection policy and your statements (ne demands) re player development :)

After reading all the posts (there are so damned many) i can see a postitive outlook at the AFC next year but i wouldnt think 1 draft is going to change them that much, I especially cant see any of them playing until we are well and truely out of contention for the finals when we really start cutting the duds,

My main concern is if we exceed expectations we really have a problem rehashing our midfield with high picks ( i am not saying we should drop games but...)

Also i dont think Hudson would be to concerned as he will be given a chance this year to prove his worth, but if i was biglands i would start getting fairly concerned

Wayne's-World said:
Thats a good point - Neil Craig has surprised me in that he has gone for height and agression when I thought he may have gone for the "pretty" and skillful players.

Thumbs up Neil you have gone some way to getting my vote of confidence in your selection policy and your statements (ne demands) re player development :)

Watts, Gibson, Krueger, Roo, Thompson, Stiffy, Biglands, Meeson, Thorney - i'm so happy that someone from the AFC has finally realised you need more grunt than just Roo to win a premiership. After yesterdays draft, I'm so happy with the direction Craigy wants to take the club in. I, like you WW, thought Craigy would prefer pretty and skilful players - thankfully i was wrong.

Stiffy_18 said:
I don't expect Maric to make a debut for a couple of years at least.

You reckon hes a couple years away from AFL footy?? geez. The kid is a rock. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets some games in the first half of next year

Macca19 said:
You reckon hes a couple years away from AFL footy?? geez. The kid is a rock. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets some games in the first half of next year

He'd be a chance to play a few in 2005. At worst he'll be playing in 2006 IMO.

SpringChoke said:
Watts, Gibson, Krueger, Roo, Thompson, Stiffy, Biglands, Meeson, Thorney - i'm so happy that someone from the AFC has finally realised you need more grunt than just Roo to win a premiership. After yesterdays draft, I'm so happy with the direction Craigy wants to take the club in. I, like you WW, thought Craigy would prefer pretty and skilful players - thankfully i was wrong.
He has really surprised me not only with his firm talking, but also that he is backing it up with the right actions.

Iam a huge fan of getting the skeleton or srtructure right as Brisbane and Port have always done, then building the flesh with flankers, wingers and midfielders (not in order)

Its great to see Craig adopt this approach, and particularly pleasing to see the grunt being bought in :)

Reidy re-iterated a few minutes ago on 5AA that Craig wasn't setting time-lines on the players other than to encourage them to play well and force the AFC to pick them.

He also pointed out that Meeson wasn't only a very good ruckman but that he was also more than a handy forward, so he thought he could well play games in 2005.

He also had huge wraps on Van Berlo and thought he also could well play games in 2005.

macca23 said:
Reidy re-iterated a few minutes ago on 5AA that Craig wasn't setting time-lines on the players other than to encourage them to play well and force the AFC to pick them.

He also pointed out that Meeson wasn't only a very good ruckman but that he was also more than a handy forward, so he thought he could well play games in 2005.

He also had huge wraps on Van Berlo and thought he also could well play games in 2005.
I'm liking what and how he's communicating :)

macca23 said:

Gotta love the language and the positive reinforcement... ''you play well you will get picked''

Craig has lost the plot - where's the investment in the future? To put pressure on 18 year olds to play immediately is dumb. Worse than that, it's just plain stupid! Half our squad has OP or other 'over training' injuries because of precisely this attitude.

Last year Watts arrived, did a full pre season (18 year olds can only go flat out), now has OP, like so many of our boys (Jericho, Begley, etc) & will have to nurse the injury through the next couple of seasons.

Successful clubs have serious junior policies, they take time, bring them on slowly and produce terrific long term players (it takes 3 years). It's been so long since we drafted kids, our thinking ios still back in the Barrassi days.

Utter, total, nonsense. Don't get too excited, we'll spend the next two years looking at these kids on the injury list. What a waste!

wattsup said:
Craig has lost the plot - where's the investment in the future? To put pressure on 18 year olds to play immediately is dumb. Worse than that, it's just plain stupid! Half our squad has OP or other 'over training' injuries because of precisely this attitude.

Last year Watts arrived, did a full pre season (18 year olds can only go flat out), now has OP, like so many of our boys (Jericho, Begley, etc) & will have to nurse the injury through the next couple of seasons.

Successful clubs have serious junior policies, they take time, bring them on slowly and produce terrific long term players (it takes 3 years). It's been so long since we drafted kids, our thinking ios still back in the Barrassi days.

Utter, total, nonsense. Don't get too excited, we'll spend the next two years looking at these kids on the injury list. What a waste!
Because NC knows nothing about sports science right? :rolleyes:

Fergs OP has more to do with not Warming up correctly than over training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft pick's expected debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back