Our draft pick's expected debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca19 said:
You reckon hes a couple years away from AFL footy?? geez. The kid is a rock. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets some games in the first half of next year
I wasn't referring to his size. As physical size goes Maric and Gibson are physically ready to play AFL footy. What I was referring to was their rawness. I think that Maric and Gibson, despite their physical maturity are very raw in football terms so I don't expect them to play for a couple of years.

Thats the angle I was coming from :)

wattsup said:
Craig has lost the plot - where's the investment in the future? To put pressure on 18 year olds to play immediately is dumb. Worse than that, it's just plain stupid! Half our squad has OP or other 'over training' injuries because of precisely this attitude.

Last year Watts arrived, did a full pre season (18 year olds can only go flat out), now has OP, like so many of our boys (Jericho, Begley, etc) & will have to nurse the injury through the next couple of seasons.

Successful clubs have serious junior policies, they take time, bring them on slowly and produce terrific long term players (it takes 3 years). It's been so long since we drafted kids, our thinking ios still back in the Barrassi days.

Utter, total, nonsense. Don't get too excited, we'll spend the next two years looking at these kids on the injury list. What a waste!
With all due respects you are way off the mark here.

One thing that we simply cannot question Craig on is his preparation of athletes and desinging fitness programs. Many still credit him for our 97 and 98 flags. Don't forget that Neil Craig was managing Olympic gold medal winning athletes.

We can question his coaching ability but one thing we can never question is his ability to manage athletes and prepare them to perform.

Just look at our injuries vs. the smart clubs. This bloke has got you fooled. These kids need time and an environment that encourages them to develop. For a coach to put pressure on them to turn up to training this week and go flat out for a spot in the seniors round 1 is the hight of macho stupidity.

He may have all the sports science degrees in the world, but common sense is not his strong suit. Just watch 'em blow up...(I think Jericho is under the knife, by the way)

wattsup said:
Just look at our injuries vs. the smart clubs. This bloke has got you fooled. These kids need time and an environment that encourages them to develop. For a coach to put pressure on them to turn up to training this week and go flat out for a spot in the seniors round 1 is the hight of macho stupidity.

He may have all the sports science degrees in the world, but common sense is not his strong suit. Just watch 'em blow up...(I think Jericho is under the knife, by the way)

why do you think it's so black and white?

wattsup said:

You're genuinely over-reacting Wattsup. As mentioned by Stiffy18, Craig's strong point is in the area of fitness and player preparation. There is no way he would compromise the long-term fitness of the young guys in a mad attempt to get them into our Best-22 ASAP.

If the new boys are playing well in the SANFL & the 'old' boys are not doing so well in the AFL, then these kids should be rewarded by being selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft pick's expected debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back