Opinion Our Future Set-Up...

Remove this Banner Ad

dima17

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been hearing a lot about attacking game styles and offensive being the new "cluster" or "forward press" in 2012. Every year, a new trend emerges that sets one or two clubs apart from the rest - who then try and make up ground.

If this new offensive style of thinking IS going to be at the forefront of winning a flag this year, i was wondering what peoples thoughts are on how we should structure our line-up and more specifically our talls in the forward and back half.

As it stands... we have a few falls who are out in the likes of Tarrant and Reid (Brown returning tomorrow). Keefe's been playing pretty solid footy and would hopefully continue to get better.

My theory is that we desperately need a 3rd tall to help us in the second half of the year and in finals. This dynamic will hopefully give us and extra edge.

My thoughts are:

- Reid is a Lock for a Defensive key post.
- Cloke and Dawes must play as Talls in the forward line
- Cloke should play closer to goal

This leaves...

Tarrant, Brown and Keefe to fill 1 or possibly 2 spots in the team.

- Tarrant can play forward or back and in my eyes if fit should be a 3rd tall in our back line is fit and healthy (with the option of putting him down back if need be)
- Brown should be our other defensive key post however if Tarrant is dominating a FB position i would love to see Bucks swing him down forward as a 3rd option?
- The interesting one is Lachy Keefe. I think he would be perfect to play a Leigh Brown Style role as a back up ruck and rest somewhere else for the remainder of the game.

Can we play all6 of these blokes in the same team? (i probably think we can't)... and as such who gets a gig and where should they play??

We can play them in the same team.
Either two set ups because Taz and Brown are such great utilities.

Either go with Keeffe at FB, Reid at HB, Tarrant as third backman playing on mediums/smalls and Brown resting forward/pinch hitting ruck.

Or

Keeffe FB, Reid HB, Brown 3rd man down back as well as pinch hitting defence ruck, and Tarrant deadly forward.

I don't want Keeffe to be moved if he keeps his solid performances like this, and Brown can go forward during the 2nd setup as well etc Rotate Taz/Brown up forward.

I tend to agree. Id leave Lachy on the 2nd or 3rd tall down back and play one of Taz or Brown down back also. Taz would be a good lead up option up forward but if Dawes becomes that lead up option then Brown may be the one to go with up forward as a big grab option?

Either way i think we should play all 6 where we can - unless weather permits otherwise or we don't match up we against sides. Could be an ace up our sleeve come September?

I like;

FB: Brown
HB: Keeffe Reid

HF: Cloke
FF: Dawes Tarrant

R: Jolly

3 tall forwards, 3 tall backs, Reid plyaing on the 3rd best opposition tall so he can get free and rebound more, Taz pinch hitting at FF when Dawes releif rucks...

I like;

3 tall forwards, 3 tall backs, Reid plyaing on the 3rd best opposition tall so he can get free and rebound more, Taz pinch hitting at FF when Dawes releif rucks...

This is a good setup and would be about best in the comp if all played to their abilities, but I'm just not sure Tarrant is any value forward anymore. It has been a long time since we've seen him perform really well up there.
I wonder what Buckley and co think about moving Reid to a wing type role? That would be extremely interesting given his great kicking. At the moment it would be great if Nathan Brown was tried up forward and as a pinch hit ruck, but I think they want to get his confidence back first. He hasn't proven he can play this role, but we might just end up needing him to.

This is a good setup and would be about best in the comp if all played to their abilities, but I'm just not sure Tarrant is any value forward anymore. It has been a long time since we've seen him perform really well up there.
I wonder what Buckley and co think about moving Reid to a wing type role? That would be extremely interesting given his great kicking. At the moment it would be great if Nathan Brown was tried up forward and as a pinch hit ruck, but I think they want to get his confidence back first. He hasn't proven he can play this role, but we might just end up needing him to.

vs adelaide last year had 2 goals and looked extremely lively up forward.

vs adelaide last year had 2 goals and looked extremely lively up forward.

Yeah he was ok, but he also played forward in another game, cant remember which one, may have been North Melbourne the second time and he did very little. He is a great shut down defender now, so if he is just an ok forward, I think it is a waste. Hopefully he comes back full of life and can be a dangerous 2 goal a game forward.

Yeah he was ok, but he also played forward in another game, cant remember which one, may have been North Melbourne the second time and he did very little. He is a great shut down defender now, so if he is just an ok forward, I think it is a waste. Hopefully he comes back full of life and can be a dangerous 2 goal a game forward.

I hope so too mate.

Future setup:

FB: N.Brown
CHB: Reid
To take resting ruck/ 3rd tall: Keeffe

CHF: Cloke
FF: Dawes
3rd tall: Paine

Rucks:
No.1 ruck. Witts
No.2 ruck. Gault
Depth (just outside of best 22 but still very capable): Ceglar

Also waiting on J.Stewart (KPF) + D.Moore (Still unsure how tall he will grow to, but likely KPF or ruck) who will both come into our plans with some luck.

I like;

this is my perfect scenario too. i think dawes needs a chop out from another tall. and reid is not our best 1 on 1 defender, brown is better. reid is a rebounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back