Our new ruckman - Shae McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

well I didnt think he was a star basketballer, but I hear that he's 24 and has played basketball in europe and I thought he was just not good enough to play NBA....so I thought that he played a little in europe at the elite level and then he thinks that doing that isnt going to do it for him....so he thinks about trying AFL at the elite level..but I dont think it happened that way. Its more like a guy who wants to be a star.....somewhere

you cant compare him to leroy loggins or robert rose who played NBL here.... some of those americans had a game or two at NBA level but were never good enough to make it long-term...

well Shae would have even struggled to play in the NBL...and it might mean SFA... but I was hoping that he was going to be a great athlete who needed to learn a game...

who the hell cares about bball, pendlebury was suppose to be heavily into bball aswell and threw it in, doesnt mean hes going to be a shit afl player.

shae is costing us next to nothing and not even taken up a spot on our list really, if it is a publicity stunt itll pay off for more than what its cost.

well I didnt think he was a star basketballer, but I hear that he's 24 and has played basketball in europe and I thought he was just not good enough to play NBA....so I thought that he played a little in europe at the elite level and then he thinks that doing that isnt going to do it for him....so he thinks about trying AFL at the elite level..but I dont think it happened that way. Its more like a guy who wants to be a star.....somewhere

you cant compare him to leroy loggins or robert rose who played NBL here.... some of those americans had a game or two at NBA level but were never good enough to make it long-term...

well Shae would have even struggled to play in the NBL...and it might mean SFA... but I was hoping that he was going to be a great athlete who needed to learn a game...
The stats are irrelevant if taken out of the context of the minutes played. If you give Lebron James 5 minutes per game he would put up similar stats. At college level, all it takes is one or two other big guys further up the pecking order and you aren't going to get much game time, potentially for your whole career, as it's much more difficult to change college teams than it is NBA teams.

At 6'8 McNamara would have been a small forward, or maybe power forward at a pinch. If his team had a star small forward and maybe a older more proven power forward or vice versa, then he's not going to get much game time. There's been plenty of situations where future NBA quality players have put up similar numbers at college level for their first 2 or 3 years (you play 4 years of college), before the star player getting game time in front of them leaves, and then they blow up with big numbers in their final season. I'm certainly not saying that's the case with Shae, but those numbers aren't necessarily indicative of his ability, certainly not to the point where you could make anything like a comment that he would struggle in the NBL

As has been said, he's an AFL player now, and his physical measurables mean he's a top athlete by AFL standards, and with a professional sports understanding, has the ability to play AFL football. He's not going to be an AFL star, I can guarantee you that, but if he ends up serviceable at a Steven McKee level of play, then it's been successful.

Just to clear things up a bit -
Shae became interested in AFL when one of the Swans coaching staff had a connection with basketball in America and asked his connection if he could recommend any basketballers that might be able to cross over. This fellow put a few names forward, including Shae, but the Swans decided against it and went in another direction.
Meanwhile Shae took a look at this sport he was recommended for, decided it might be fun and started making videos for youtube and to send to AFL clubs. Collingwood bit.

I am so glad that he isn't a Swan. Come on. A Swan? Is that really a football team? ;) I am very glad he is on Australia's team!

As far as basketball goes, he did have some offers on the table to return to Europe. He much perferred to play footy! And, as far as the basketball stats goes, he was always a team player. He wasn't a ball hog or needed to be a "superstar" on the team.

As has been said, he's an AFL player now, and his physical measurables mean he's a top athlete by AFL standards, and with a professional sports understanding, has the ability to play AFL football. He's not going to be an AFL star, I can guarantee you that, but if he ends up serviceable at a Steven McKee level of play, then it's been successful.
And he's not costing a No 3 pick in the draft :eek:

He's not going to be an AFL star, I can guarantee you that, but if he ends up serviceable at a Steven McKee level of play, then it's been successful.

The point that you make about the stats is true.... but if he was an outstanding basketballer player, he would have played more minutes.... obvious but true. You say that he is going to be more athletic than similar Aussie guys, as if it's expected.... as if 6 foot 8" guys playing aussie rules arent athletic and Shae is going to have an edge on them. I'm not too sure about that. You said that he probably played only a few minutes a game on a court that is 30 metres long..... not a great test for endurance.

In the end, your last sentence is right. He could be the next Steve McKee but Steve used to get a heap of clearances as a ruckman. He used to be down there below his knees going for the ball...Sure he couldnt jump and that's why he was dropped off the list, but he made a significant contribution, even though he wasnt a winning tap ruckman.

I'm hoping that Shae will be successful.... I just cant find a reason at the moment other than it would be a great story for the 7 news.

The stats are irrelevant if taken out of the context of the minutes played. If you give Lebron James 5 minutes per game he would put up similar stats. At college level, all it takes is one or two other big guys further up the pecking order and you aren't going to get much game time, potentially for your whole career, as it's much more difficult to change college teams than it is NBA teams.

At 6'8 McNamara would have been a small forward, or maybe power forward at a pinch. If his team had a star small forward and maybe a older more proven power forward or vice versa, then he's not going to get much game time. There's been plenty of situations where future NBA quality players have put up similar numbers at college level for their first 2 or 3 years (you play 4 years of college), before the star player getting game time in front of them leaves, and then they blow up with big numbers in their final season. I'm certainly not saying that's the case with Shae, but those numbers aren't necessarily indicative of his ability, certainly not to the point where you could make anything like a comment that he would struggle in the NBL

Small forward at 6'8 in college? haha yeah righto mate... there's some starting centre's at 6'8.

I agree with the rest of what you said though.

Any info on this guy? Obviously with the successful Collingwood trades he is going to have a hard time getting in the team. How has he developed? Is he even still in the squad? Haven't heard jack about the big Yank in ages!

Any info on this guy? Obviously with the successful Collingwood trades he is going to have a hard time getting in the team. How has he developed? Is he even still in the squad? Haven't heard jack about the big Yank in ages!

For a little more info check out this story on him.
And as to how he's travelling. I think he's about where we'd hope he'd be after a year playing the sport. I don't think he's set the world on fire, but i think he's an extremely talented athlete and if he keeps improving at this rate i wouldn't be surprised seeing him play AFL level in the next 2-3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His ruck work has been very good for a player new to the game. He has shown some real promise up forward in moments but far from consistently. A good way to put it would be he would have a good highlights package. He's only one year into a two year rookie contract so he'll get at least another year to develop. Seems to be a great bloke with a great character so will give himself every chance. But theres alot to learn.

Shae's currently having a holiday in the States to catch up with family and friends. He'll be back for preseason training.
He was signed to a two year rookie contract so he has one more year at least to continue in his new sport. With Josh gone he is probably ranked about 3rd ruckman now. His game improved immensly in his first year and has made a valuable contribution to the VFL side.

I still think he will really struggle to make it, which is very understandable in the circumstances.

He will need to improve in leaps and bounds in his second year.

His major problem, and this was alaways going to be the case, is learning how to read the play. His skills are ok and he's a big unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our new ruckman - Shae McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back