Our next 4 games will define our season..

Remove this Banner Ad

Way too early to even be contemplating top four, however there is no doubt at all that this is the best stretch of wins we have enjoyed since the sequence leading into the 2008 Premiership triumph. However as mentioned, we have not taken anyone in form, except a pumped up Adelaide and a seasoned Geelong.

Did we conserve energy in the second half this evening? I hope so.. because we really looked a bit too slow to move the ball at times. It was pleasing however to control the game after the Bulldogs looked likely late in the third.

Freo will come out really hard, and we need to match their intensity. I would like to see us finish off the game leading into Geelong, rather than take the foot off the pedal.

KOLOKOTRONIS

It probably is early but the guys seem to have the mindset they will beat lower teams, and will relish putting ess and carlton in their place. Thats what I'm basing it on

Realistically, if we finish a clear best third and give the youngsters finals experience agaisnt the top two I'll be really happy.
We have palyers to challenge but while many of ours will still be in their first senior year, the majority of the cats and pies are finals hardened. We could play all out premiership players but a blend of those and some youngsters will take us forward

Who knows ? one of them may stumble and its another granny and anything could happen ?

Wins are wins, and when you look at each game, we could have lost each of them.

Port - We struggled big time on the Friday night after the Bye and were pushed all the way. We ended up winning comfortably, finishing the game well. I reckon last year we would have lost that game

St Kilda - They had started well and we were down 5 goals at qtr time, losing Gilham for the match, then Hale early in the second. We smashed them in the clearances and won the game comfortably

Sydney - At the SCG where we have struggled of late. After a tight first half we dominate the 3rd qtr and eventually win very comfortable win against a side that rarely gets beaten up on.

Dogs - Hit hard early but responded well. They his us with everything in the 3rd and early in the last but we rallied both times to record a comfortable win.

The beauty is, since the St Kilda game our defence has been undermanned, actually probably since the Richmond game when we lost stratton, yet we are rarely being scored heavily against whilst looking extremely dangerous when we go forward. My guys are running through the middle and we have solid depth.

I'm loving how this season is panning out

The great thing is that we have been challenged in a few of these games and we have endured and come up trumps.

7-2 record is nothing to smirk at. And those 2 games we lost, we could have won considering we were 5 goals up in both of them.

I am being serious, analyse our wins closely and tell me that we haven't taken on teams in poor form? Come on, we've had a dream run! Once again we come up against a team in poor form with crucial injuries... Compare our wins to Collingwood and Geelong's and explain to me how they haven't been more impressive? Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this stretch. It is clearly our best run since 08, but we cannot discount the form the opposition have been in. Had we lost any of those four matches (but for Sydney), our credibility as a club would have been on the back page of every paper. The wins we have enjoyed (in particular the bogey turn around) has been great more so for the club than the recognition of the footy public. We HAVE NOT BEATEN ANY CLUB IN FORM!

KOLOKOTRONIS

Why don't you reserve your judgement until we've played the top teams. If it turns out that we're not competitive, then churn out your I told you so posts.

Until then, enjoy the wins against sides we struggle to beat, and accept that we have a lot of improvement and may just take our game to similar levels of 2008.

Wins are wins, and when you look at each game, we could have lost each of them.

Port - We struggled big time on the Friday night after the Bye and were pushed all the way. We ended up winning comfortably, finishing the game well. I reckon last year we would have lost that game

St Kilda - They had started well and we were down 5 goals at qtr time, losing Gilham for the match, then Hale early in the second. We smashed them in the clearances and won the game comfortably

Sydney - At the SCG where we have struggled of late. After a tight first half we dominate the 3rd qtr and eventually win very comfortable win against a side that rarely gets beaten up on.

Dogs - Hit hard early but responded well. They his us with everything in the 3rd and early in the last but we rallied both times to record a comfortable win.

The beauty is, since the St Kilda game our defence has been undermanned, actually probably since the Richmond game when we lost stratton, yet we are rarely being scored heavily against whilst looking extremely dangerous when we go forward. My guys are running through the middle and we have solid depth.

I'm loving how this season is panning out

I love the understatement here. That is only the 2nd time we have beaten the Swans in Sydney since 1994! And they usually destroy us by big margins too. Make no mistake, beating the Swans in Sydney (and Port at Port for that matter) is MASSIVE for us.

It's easy to be critical of the teams we've beaten, but there is a massive positive in our wins this year.

Namely that we've won without looking like we're in top gear, and it's not heart attack football anymore. Last year we wre throwing the kitchen sink into every game and just scraping in when we won (for the most part). This year we're doing what a good team does, winning even when we're not playing super well.

It's easy to be critical of the teams we've beaten, but there is a massive positive in our wins this year.

Namely that we've won without looking like we're in top gear, and it's not heart attack football anymore. Last year we wre throwing the kitchen sink into every game and just scraping in when we won (for the most part). This year we're doing what a good team does, winning even when we're not playing super well.

Spot on - that's what I'm happiest about.

Listen, you negative pricks. I am flying to Sydney for that game and I dont intend on watching us lose.

Well you are waisting your money. We will lose that game, we dont win there and we dont learn how to win there.

Despite what some think, I love a good thread bump. Really shows who's posts to take notice of and who's posts to take with a grain of salt from now on.

Well done on a tremendous 4 weeks of footy Hawks!

True although we're still playing in and out of games (i.e. the Saints first quarter, Dogs 3rd quarter and Eagles last quarter)

As Geelong proved to us in round 5 it only takes 10 minutes off the pedal for an outstanding side to break the game open.

Hopefully our record against the top quality sides last year holds us in equally good sted for our meetings against Geelong, Collingwood and Carlton this year.

A look forward to our next six games up until our next bye in round 17.

Round 11, Fremantle, MCG: With Sandilands sidelined and lots of Freo's good players sitting in the stands, this should be one we can win, also considering Fremantles terrible record at the G. Comfy win.

Round 12, Geelong, MCG: We once again meet our arch rivals. We went close in round 5 and both teams will be in good form. HUGE game and will be very close. 60/40 contest in favour to Geelong.

Round 13, Gold Coast, Aurora Stadium: The 'coasters' keep improving in the compitition (which I am loving), but their young bodies just won't be any match for us, especially down at Launceston. Should be a nice display of good footy for the locals.

Round 14, Essendon, MCG: The big one, in my opinion. The bombers have played pretty good footy this year and before this game have some pretty soft games. Will again be a HUGE contest, and both teams have claims. 50/50 game this one.

Round 15, Collingwood, MCG: After the week before this game will easily be hardest of the year. A bruising game against Essendon will take its toll and Colligwood have a pretty easy run before this game. Although we do have a good record against the Pies, beating them the last few times. Will be another HUGE game, but Collingwood should have our measure.

Round 16, Bribane, Aurora Stadium: The 'Cubs' are not playing well at all and should be another demolishion down at Aurora to keep the Tasmanians happy. Easy win.

Obviously discounting injuries and suspensions in the next few weeks to any of these teams. But these next 6 games will on the whole be our hardest string of games for the year. throw in some easy win games and a sprinkling of hard, gut busting games and we should come out with 11 and 4 record in reality.

CARN THE HAWKS!!!!!!!:footy::footy::footy::footy:

boy there are some harsh taskmasters around here. So we haven't had many four quarter efforts eh? Well tell me who has. Collingwood? Geelong? Carltank? I think not! Good teams get the job done you cant ask for much more than that.

A work collegue of mine and a Hawthorn member said to me this morning that we dont put sides away (ie Dogs) but we just do enough to get the 4 points.

Which got me thinking to 08. This is exactly what we did in that year. We didnt put teams away, just got the points and moved and then set ourselves for a finals onslaught. Its feeling more and more like 08.

As for the next 6 games before our bye:

Freo: I wish they were playing their full squad, cause we would still beat them as they have no idea how to play the G..

Geel: It is time for us to reverse the Win Loss ratio. I think we will get up here.

GC: Easy win

Ess: Not sure about this one, but us by a few goals, better list and the bombers will start to tire and the whole Hird novelty is wearing off.

Coll: This will be like Rd 17 2008, where the Cats got us, but we got them in the most important game of a season. Maybe the Pies in this one, but beware we will get them later in the year! The pies are putting on a good front, but they are well aware that Us and the Cats are coming to get them.

Bris: We will win this. Cant see Bris beating us in Launceston.

Maybe its just me, but we are playing good footy atm and slowly building for a top 4 finish and a massive attack on the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to all ....... I think the Hawks are going pretty good at the mo. Midfield seems to be happening in the v.good direction, which maybe takes a bit of pressure of the defenders........very happy :thumbsu: :eek:

How many teams have won four or more games in a row this yr...;)
And out of those sides , how many of those teams have done it on the back of injurys to key players...
Gilham.... FB
Stratton ..CHB
Rounfe...Ruckman
Hale ....3rd tall / Ruckman
Rioli....missed a fair chunk of footy
And how many players 25 and under are they fielding.....??
Us on Sunday ....14...;)

That win against West Coast earlier in the year looks great now. Add a win in Adelaide, and a win in Sydney, and we're looking pretty good. I think we are in pretty good form. Our football is starting to show some flow, which suggests the players may be "getting" what they need to do to carry out coaches orders.
It is true that we've had some poor halves/quarters where we've come undone, but we're 7-2 so we're doing enough. I'm very happy to see Hodge appearing in our teams best this week. Let's hope he can sustain that sort of effort through the rest of the season, as he is a real barometer for us.
Our defensive unit have been simply fantastic the last 2-3 weeks, and we owe them some recognition that we are where we are at this stage of the season. They've really saved our asses on so many occasions. Really solid.
Our veterans have been hitting form. Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Hodge, Rough, Guerra, Birchall and Murphy to name a few. When they all play well, it makes a massive difference.
Rioli is so exciting to watch, but I still think that somehow we're not getting the most out of him, or utilizing him to reap the most benefit. I don't know enough to be able to state how we get more out of him, but maybe I, like everyone else just want more. He's so beautiful to watch.
Finally, Bailey. There's opposition ruckmen he hasn't even played against yet, yet he seems to be getting great results for his efforts so far. What a difference that is making. We could go anywhere from here, make no mistake :)

At this stage the Cats and Pies are the best two teams.

We are fighting it out at the moment with Carlton and Essendon for third spot.

The rest are a step behind.

Assuming Schoey and Gibbo stay fit, Schoey continues to develop and our new pace continues to improve (Pops, Smith, Savage, Shiels and Breust) we should hold down at least third.

Top four puts us where we can have a crack, a little bit of luck and inspired coaching take us from there.

A look forward to our next six games up until our next bye in round 17.

Round 11, Fremantle, MCG: With Sandilands sidelined and lots of Freo's good players sitting in the stands, this should be one we can win, also considering Fremantles terrible record at the G. Comfy win.

Round 12, Geelong, MCG: We once again meet our arch rivals. We went close in round 5 and both teams will be in good form. HUGE game and will be very close. 60/40 contest in favour to Geelong.

Round 13, Gold Coast, Aurora Stadium: The 'coasters' keep improving in the compitition (which I am loving), but their young bodies just won't be any match for us, especially down at Launceston. Should be a nice display of good footy for the locals.

Round 14, Essendon, MCG: The big one, in my opinion. The bombers have played pretty good footy this year and before this game have some pretty soft games. Will again be a HUGE contest, and both teams have claims. 50/50 game this one.

Round 15, Collingwood, MCG: After the week before this game will easily be hardest of the year. A bruising game against Essendon will take its toll and Colligwood have a pretty easy run before this game. Although we do have a good record against the Pies, beating them the last few times. Will be another HUGE game, but Collingwood should have our measure.

Round 16, Bribane, Aurora Stadium: The 'Cubs' are not playing well at all and should be another demolishion down at Aurora to keep the Tasmanians happy. Easy win.

Obviously discounting injuries and suspensions in the next few weeks to any of these teams. But these next 6 games will on the whole be our hardest string of games for the year. throw in some easy win games and a sprinkling of hard, gut busting games and we should come out with 11 and 4 record in reality.

CARN THE HAWKS!!!!!!!:footy::footy::footy::footy:

IMO at worst we will be 10-5 after these next 6 games.
I think we should take care of the Bombers and Freo so as you say we should be 11-4.

Imagine if we knock off the Cats the confidence will be massive throughout the group and it could go along way to upsetting Collingwood also....
Yeah i know wishful thinking, one week at a time yada yada :D

Assuming Schoey and Gibbo stay fit, Schoey continues to develop and our new pace continues to improve (Pops, Smith, Savage, Shiels and Breust) we should hold down at least third.

Top four puts us where we can have a crack, a little bit of luck and inspired coaching take us from there.

I reckon we are ahead of Essendon, and slightly ahead of Carlton. Blues' backline will struggle against us

The pace is great but one deficiency we may have is they are less experienced than the runners in the top sides. In the heat of finals we may be in trouble as all of them are less experienced. Hopefully we can find ways to counter this.

I look forward to how the pace goes agaisnt freo this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Our next 4 games will define our season..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back