Prediction Our Rebuild Will Ultimately Fail - Prove Yourself Correct - 5YR Ladder Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of Ogilvies top 20 pick recruiting decisions through the last 15 years:

Dan Curtain: Pick 8 (too early to call, Nick's subs at half time in his first game)
Josh Rachele: Pick 6 (Will be good)
Riley Thilthorpe: pick 2 (Should be good)
Max Michalanney: Pick 17 (Good)
Fisher McCasey: Pick 6 (quit)
Chayce Jones: Pick 9 (spud)
Ned McHenry: Pick 16 (spud)
Jordan Galluchi: Pick 15 (delisted)
Luke Pedlar: pick 11 (meh)
Wayne Milera: Pick 11 (meh)
--------------------------------------------------
Jake Lever: Pick 14 (left the club)
Tom Doedee: Pick 17 (left the club)

We have a good list, just needs a coach who knows what they are doing to build it to the level it needs to go.

We shouldnt unfairly judge a list based on a piss poor coach. The Crows list was regarded a joke under Shaw, Blight who knew what he was doing, got the team playing the right way. Even Craig was able to improve the standard from the squad after Ayres finished. The potential is there.

Imagine creating a thread like this and then shrinking it after we’ve proved how shit we are.

Piss poor Carmo

PS my really shit thread is more on the money…..
Not just creating the thread but using it to goad posters for their predictions.

Now he runs away like the coward he is.

We'll be a sub-8 win team this year and next, leading ultimately to Nicks' departure.

Impossible to say after that, tbh. But for the sake of the thread, I will say 14th, 13th, 13th, 12th, 12th.

Furthermore if I had to guess I'd say we're more likely to be out of the finals most years over the next decade, than contending during that time. We don't have the core player talent to see "Sando spikes", either.

Five years of terrible drafting and average coaching does that.

bruce almighty quiz GIF by Coventry University

We have a good list, just needs a coach who knows what they are doing to build it to the level it needs to go.

We shouldnt unfairly judge a list based on a piss poor coach. The Crows list was regarded a joke under Shaw, Blight who knew what he was doing, got the team playing the right way. Even Craig was able to improve the standard from the squad after Ayres finished. The potential is there.

Think your telling porkys

Blight had in the list

McLeod
Modra
Ricciutto
Hart
Jarman
Goodwin
Johnson
Smart
Edwards
Rehn
Robran
Bickley

McLeod Jarman Ricciuto in arguably the best 50 players of all time afl players and a 100 goal FF

To say he had a crap list is insane

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many variables here, but we are winning a lot of 4th quarters, and Blighty has given the thumbs up to the rebuild LOL.

A good exercise for everyone is to do a team on paper of players currently on our list who will be best 22 in 2024, see how many holes there are to be filled.

Tex is still the key to our good games but how many more seasons has he got as an influencial player, one. two? Sloane is as good as gone, Seeds too, Crouch is yesterday's man, Smith now 30 won't see finals again, Brown rising 30 and fading fast.

So few players have actually improved this season from last years low standard.

No confidence in our recruiting gurus to nail drafts from first to third picks and find gems late. We are so lucky Dawson decided to sacrifice his footy career to join us.

This season we still have 2 x WCE, 2 x Norf so that's four % boosting wins, snag another or two with great last quarters and we're 8-9 wins SO

2022 - 13th
2023 - 12th
2024 - 13th
2025 - 9th
2026 - 9th
I'm comfortable bumping my comments and predictions from two years ago.

It's apparent that I, a complete amateur, had more idea of our future back then than what the whole AFC does now, two years later. Our list is still lacking in class and depth with way too much time invested over the last two years in players who will never make AFL standard, let alone the standard you need to reach to be a finals contender. The faith in the list and posturing from the top is delusional.

The gulf between the two teams last night was stark, no more than five of our players would make the Swans team of last night. The actual stats from the game on our home deck in front of a big Crows crowd are damning. Only some below standard play from the Swans early and a lot of lucky breaks to us made the scores close for two and a half quarters.

The fact that Olsen and Silvers acknowledge the well deserved vitriol towards the powerbrokers and coaches shows they're feeling the heat and deep down they know they've screwed the pooch.
They're all trying to save face and the more they deflect the more they hope it buys them time for a backflip.
The drums are beating louder than ever and I want to be Lars Ulrich.

Think your telling porkys

Blight had in the list

McLeod
Modra
Ricciutto
Hart
Jarman
Goodwin
Johnson
Smart
Edwards
Rehn
Robran
Bickley

McLeod Jarman Ricciuto in arguably the best 50 players of all time afl players and a 100 goal FF

To say he had a crap list is insane

At no stage did I say we had a crap list back then. I think you need to learn to read friend. When shaw was coaching, we only won 17 out of 44 games, I dont care what you read about that era, you clearly didn't live it, the club was smashed, the list was smashed (clearly proven wrong) but we also brought in players. Time has told us the list was way better than what the impression was given. Which proves my point.

Clearly you didn't live through it, here are some notes for you

Under Shaw
  • McLeod debut in 1995, 1997 was his break out year. Was a forward pocket half forward under Shaw, turned midfielder under Blight.
  • Edwards was more your half back flanker, back pocket. very green, was a serviceable defender, never really turned to the genuine star we saw until the 2000s so no, Blight didn't have peak Edwards. Shaw certainly didn't.
Goodwin hadn't played yet until blight took over.
Rehn had 2 Knee recons during Shaw's reign, didn't really get going again until mid 1997.
Modra - was a star no doubting that.
Johnson - Was a serviceable young player but he didn't hit his stride until he went back to Richmond. Blight did not get peak Johnson either.
Riccuito - Genuine star, who took his game to another level when Blight took over. Was a midfield battering ram under Shaw. Played totally different.

The rest of the names you mentioned were clearly long standing players. But you also need to remember we had only played finals once in the 6 seasons up until blight came in. There was literally no sign we were capable of a premiership in 1997.

So the fact is we may have had an established list but it was not playing well at all. It wasn't until Blight came in, made changes. All this proves my point. You can't judge the list based on the previous shitty coach.

Craig came in and we took our game to another level in 2005 and 2006, made preliminaries both seasons. We thought we had a grand final squad in 2003 after getting Carey. We failed, and well 2004 Ayres was sacked. (funny how we had standards then. We just didn't go 'we just need to build connection with the young players and shape run more'). Ayres really had every expectation of getting another contract. But we were ruthless back then.

Craig got sacked in 2011, but in 2012 we came from nowhere and almost made a GF.
Pyke got a list that lost a lot of players including Dangerfield. Still took us to a GF in his second year.

This BS narrative of we don't have the players is crap. Our list is way better than its playing and its about time as supporters we stop buying into the narrative of a rebuild and our playing group is a list of no name inexperienced teenagers. Thats just rubbish now.

At no stage did I say we had a crap list back then. I think you need to learn to read friend. When shaw was coaching, we only won 17 out of 44 games, I dont care what you read about that era, you clearly didn't live it, the club was smashed, the list was smashed (clearly proven wrong) but we also brought in players. Time has told us the list was way better than what the impression was given. Which proves my point.

Under Shaw
  • McLeod debut in 1995, 1997 was his break out year. Was a forward pocket half forward under Shaw, turned midfielder under Blight.
  • Edwards was more your half back flanker, back pocket. very green, was a serviceable defender, never really turned to the genuine star we saw until the 2000s so no, Blight didn't have peak Edwards. Shaw certainly didn't.
Rehn had 2 Knee recons during Shaw's reign, didn't really get going again until mid 1997.
Johnson - Was a serviceable young player but he didn't hit his stride until he went back to Richmond. Blight did not get peak Johnson either.
Riccuito - Genuine star, who took his game to another level when Blight took over. Was a midfield battering ram under Shaw. Played totally different.

The rest of the names you mentioned were clearly long standing players. But you also need to remember we had only played finals once in the 6 seasons up until blight came in. There was literally no sign we were capable of a premiership in 1997.

So the fact is we may have had an established list but it was not playing well at all. It wasn't until Blight came in, made changes. All this proves my point. You can't judge the list based on the previous shitty coach.

Craig came in and we took our game to another level in 2005 and 2006, made preliminaries both seasons. We thought we had a grand final squad in 2003 after getting Carey. We failed, and well 2004 Ayres was sacked. (funny how we had standards then. We just didn't go 'we just need to build connection with the young players and shape run more'). Ayres really had every expectation of getting another contract. But we were ruthless back then.

Craig got sacked in 2011, but in 2012 we came from nowhere and almost made a GF.
Pyke got a list that lost a lot of players including Dangerfield. Still took us to a GF in his second year.

This BS narrative of we don't have the players is crap. Our list is way better than its playing and its about time as supporters we stop buying into the narrative of a rebuild and our playing group is a list of no name inexperienced teenagers. Thats just rubbish now.

Pretty sure you said

The crows list was regarded a joke

Under Shaw

Come on there is no comparison from that list with what we have now

No player on the crows list atm will match

Jarman
Roo
Macca
Rehn
Modra

Not even Dawson or rankine

Then players I haven’t even mentioned

Ben hart

4 x AA
AFL hall of famer

Nigel smart

3 x AA

Wowsa

And don’t take my word for how crap our list is follow the so called experts interesting article this weekend on it

Last edited:
Come on there is no comparison from that list with what we have now

No player on the crows list atm will match

Jarman
Roo
Macca
Rehn
Modra

Not even Dawson or rankine

Then players I haven’t even mentioned

I don't mean to be rude, but please stop defining the 1996-1997 list based on your knowledge of how all those players careers turned out. I lived through that era and im telling you we were not at all regarded as being close to a premiership, let alone finals, we didn't even cement a finals spot until late in 1997.

I don't mean to be rude, but please stop defining the 1996-1997 list based on your knowledge of how all those players careers turned out. I lived through that era and im telling you we were not at all regarded as being close to a premiership, let alone finals, we didn't even cement a finals spot until late in 1997.

The list we have atm is total rubbish every expert calls it most non biased supporters call it

Nicks probably is poor but he hasn’t really been given much

Even if we get rid of nicks now any decent coach wont want to come here we will just get another newbie and throw him to the lions (which is our list

We have 5 AAs on our list 3 of them are finished and 1 not far off finishing leaving Dawson

The list we have atm is total rubbish every expert calls it most non biased supporters call it

Nicks probably is poor but he hasn’t really been given much

Even if we get rid of nicks now any decent coach wont want to come here we will just get another newbie and throw him to the lions (which is our list

We have 5 AAs on our list 3 of them are finished and 1 not far off finishing leaving Dawson

The list as a whole is rubbish, its unbalanced, has dead wood on it. But, there is a lot of genuine talent on the list as well. People who bag the list are only doing so because of how unproven it is in relation to success. Again, only proves my point. If we get a coach who knows what they are doing with a sound game plan and plays players to their strengths, I think you'd be shocked. This is why we are calling for Nicks to go. If the list was completely trash, we'd give Nicks a pass.

3 teams below us, 14 above us.

Even if firing Nicks is the wrong decision, (which I'm confident its not) we move down 3 spots at worst.

The list as a whole is rubbish, its unbalanced, has dead wood on it. But, there is a lot of genuine talent on the list as well. People who bag the list are only doing so because of how unproven it is in relation to success. Again, only proves my point. If we get a coach who knows what they are doing with a sound game plan and plays players to their strengths, I think you'd be shocked. This is why we are calling for Nicks to go. If the list was completely trash, we'd give Nicks a pass.

Yes. If the list was completely trash we would give nicks a pass

The club realise how poor the list is which is why he has been extended

The experts also realise how crap our list is

Only delusional people can’t see it

Yes. If the list was completely trash we would give nicks a pass

The club realise how poor the list is which is why he has been extended

The experts also realise how crap our list is

Only delusional people can’t see it

That is not at all why he was extended.

He was extended to make finals. The club openly state they didn't want the noise of being out of contract to become a distraction for the team that looks destined for finals.

Everything they state and the expectation by everyone was we would play finals.

No offence buddy, but you are the exact type of shmuck the club is looking for to keep buying the bathwater they keep selling.

Here is a question: at what point do we admit we've seen enough of Nicks coaching to know its not getting better? 5 years not long enough for you?

Corns - Sacked 4 years 1 finals appearance
Shaw - sacked 2 years no finals appearance
Ayres - sacked 4.5 years 3 finals appearances
Craig - sacked 6.5 years 5 finals appearances
Sanderson - sacked 3 years 1 finals appearance
Nicks - 5 years, no finals appearances. contract extension.

Pick the odd one out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Our Rebuild Will Ultimately Fail - Prove Yourself Correct - 5YR Ladder Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back