Ovens and King Football League 2006-2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expected Goorambat & Swanpool's acceptance - but I am very suprised that Tatong was accepted.......
Im with you slim a top 5 for me and i am a little suprised that all three side have been introduced, all the vcfl have done here is relocete the problem. There hasnt been enough players for these clubs for years now and there wont be any more in the future. The league is only as strong as bottom teams and i think we have introduced three new bottom teams

Im with you slim a top 5 for me and i am a little suprised that all three side have been introduced, all the vcfl have done here is relocete the problem. There hasnt been enough players for these clubs for years now and there wont be any more in the future. The league is only as strong as bottom teams and i think we have introduced three new bottom teams
Do we know what colours Goorambat will be ?

I expected Goorambat & Swanpool's acceptance - but I am very suprised that Tatong was accepted.......

EB Tatong presented better than the other 2 clubs in terms of a bus/5 year strategic plan and are well ahead of the other two in terms of preparation,sponsorship and coaches etc apparently.
All the same, I would expect silly season to be worse than ever.

I think a top 7 at least that means 6 teams wont play finals at the present time if it stays the way it is 8 teams wont play finals it will be interesting to see what the out come is. Wonder who will have to play milawa and tarra twice and who will play the not as good teams twice could be the difference between making finals and not making finals slim ;)[/QUOTE]

Good point G O. I'll bet we will be one of the unkucky ones as we always seem to get those sorts of things...Conversly though I think it would be a bit rough if the new clubs were subjected to Milawa and Tarra twice........Then again when I think back to the first time we played Moyhu and only just got touched up by about 45 goals, thanks Moorey, maybe they will just have to cop it like we did.

That will be handy for bright do you know if hes bringing anyone else? Hows the other clubs going on the recruiting front Karl norman to glenrowan?

That will be handy for bright do you know if hes bringing anyone else? Hows the other clubs going on the recruiting front Karl norman to glenrowan?

Karl has been going back to Glenrowan for a few seasons now but the young fella Flynn & Karl are good mates and the tigers are proberly having a sniff at K Mcdonald as well would make them a very good side if they could be signed up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks FOTF i was starting to get a bit concerned that my humour wasnt getting appreciated. Nothing wrong with bats , dont know how they might tie it into the saints/bombers or some other though.

That sounds good to me virge Goorambat Bombers, have any of you guys been out there and how does the ground and change rooms compare to the existing clubs, i know there is a turf cricket wicket out there

That sounds good to me virge Goorambat Bombers, have any of you guys been out there and how does the ground and change rooms compare to the existing clubs, i know there is a turf cricket wicket out there

Been a while 50 but last I remember the facilities weren't too bad, the ground does have turf wicket, pretty open ground similar siza to Tarra from memory.

On the coaching front I heard a rumour today that Terry Greaves may be coaching G/Bat and Swanpool will retain their existing coach Doc???..Don't know if there is any truth.

Also heard that all 3 clubs will have to change jumpers due to clashes...

[/b]

Been a while 50 but last I remember the facilities weren't too bad, the ground does have turf wicket, pretty open ground similar siza to Tarra from memory.

On the coaching front I heard a rumour today that Terry Greaves may be coaching G/Bat and Swanpool will retain their existing coach Doc???..Don't know if there is any truth.

Also heard that all 3 clubs will have to change jumpers due to clashes...
Terry wood coach anything that would move

this is going to be an absolute farce. There is not enough players at the moment in Benalla to field all the sides, hence the B & D being disbanded. Where do they think all these players are going to come from? How is a town like Benalla supposed to support 5 teams both financially and player wise, and what is going to happen when they start to forfeit the reserves every other week? All this will do is lead to ordinary footballers being paid extraordinary amounts of money.

re Old Hand: The O&K had to do the right thing and allow these clubs the chance to continue, to say Benalla cant support all these teams is a bit silly as Wangaratta's population supports two O&M clubs plus the vast majority of the O&K (except for Bright). Therefore Benalla which is more then half the size of Wang should be able to support their GV club and four minor league clubs. As long as the clubs involved get their act together and are organized it should be ok.

It will be a battle to be competitive with the three or four top teams but they are trying to survive, not win flags. If they can consolidate over the next few years hopefully they are able to build strong list over time and the league as a whole will benefit. On the finals the final five should stay with the possible change to a 6 if quality teams are missing out.
Good luck to the new clubs and hopefully the attrition rate of country clubs will slow or stop soon!

re Old Hand: The O&K had to do the right thing and allow these clubs the chance to continue, to say Benalla cant support all these teams is a bit silly as Wangaratta's population supports two O&M clubs plus the vast majority of the O&K (except for Bright). Therefore Benalla which is more then half the size of Wang should be able to support their GV club and four minor league clubs. As long as the clubs involved get their act together and are organized it should be ok.

It will be a battle to be competitive with the three or four top teams but they are trying to survive, not win flags. If they can consolidate over the next few years hopefully they are able to build strong list over time and the league as a whole will benefit. On the finals the final five should stay with the possible change to a 6 if quality teams are missing out.
Good luck to the new clubs and hopefully the attrition rate of country clubs will slow or stop soon!

BBVFA, the attrition rate will continue until the problem of kids dropping out of footy is addressed. Otherwise I agrre with the rest of your thoughts.

As you know slim, hardly any kids make the transition from junior league to senior footy in Benalla. Even if they did what makes people think they are going to want to travel 30 k's out of town to train twice a week? Let's be honest with ourselves about footy in Benalla, the GV side can't win games let alone play finals because of the drain on players to other clubs( maybe money or maybe the way saints are structured), All Blacks were competitive this year, and i know it was rebuilding, but clubs need to be playing finals to attract more people to want to play footy there. Maybe a better solution to the problem would have been to put 1 District league side through and then put a combined side in(maybe called Benalla Rovers????) and have both clubs able to consistently field competitive seniors and reserves sides. Most clubs are struggling to field 2 teams on a saturday so what makes these sides think they will be any different?

As you know slim, hardly any kids make the transition from junior league to senior footy in Benalla. Even if they did what makes people think they are going to want to travel 30 k's out of town to train twice a week? Let's be honest with ourselves about footy in Benalla, the GV side can't win games let alone play finals because of the drain on players to other clubs( maybe money or maybe the way saints are structured), All Blacks were competitive this year, and i know it was rebuilding, but clubs need to be playing finals to attract more people to want to play footy there. Maybe a better solution to the problem would have been to put 1 District league side through and then put a combined side in(maybe called Benalla Rovers????) and have both clubs able to consistently field competitive seniors and reserves sides. Most clubs are struggling to field 2 teams on a saturday so what makes these sides think they will be any different?

Is probably the smartest way to go - but obviously all clubs involved wanted to keep their own identity.

Does anyone know if any there are any specific conditions placed on the 3 new teams? I had heard things like any of the new clubs forfeiting 3 or 4 times a year would automatically be dismissed from the league in 2011 - anyone clarify this??

It wont be any different and i think they know it they will get belted every game i would seem to think, as for the combined side it wouldnt work people play at blacks because its a good club and you can have a good time where as saints its a lot more serious.. I know who would end up with the better side of the 2 it wouldnt be all blacks!!!

I guess the Benalla clubs need to look at ways of attracting/retaining players.There isnt a great % of O&K 2's players that train twice a week(if at all at some clubs). So its not such a big deal for playes to go out on a thurs night if the clubs put on a good feed etc...
I know a few clubs in the Lexton Plains and other district leagues around Ballarat and Bendigo have one session a week in the big towns so their players dont have to drive out 30ks on a tuesday or whatever (some of these teams are top 3).

A lot of the ready made young senior players in the O&K come straight from either wang or rovers 3rds sides. As only about 60% (if that) of 3rds stay there beyond top age. Also on the topic of Benalla struggling in the GV, I recall wang spent six years at the bottom not so long ago and have since done pretty well. It is very cyclical at the top so I'm sure they will come good.

Maybe the clubs will find a way to fill their teams, maybe not time will tell i suppose. Good luck to them.

Am I missing something here?? The O&K Board chooses whether to accept any teams applying to join pur league, but the Yarra Valley league teams got to vote for Bonnie Doon's inclusion?? How does this work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back