Ovens and Murray - Pre Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ovens and Murray Part 3

surely a little bit more happening around the o & m then a sign being taken down?

confirmed practice matches for clubs so far?

Albury
Nth Albury 6th March Albury Sports Ground
vs East Lakes 13th March Albury Sports Ground
Belconnen 20th March Albury Sports Ground

Corowa-Rutherglen​
Sandhurst 13th March John Foord Oval
vs Benalla 20th March Benalla
Myrtleford 27
th March John Foord Oval

Lavington Darley 13th March TBC
vs Ainslie 20th March Canberra
Coolamon TBC TBC

Myrtleford Wodonga Raiders 6th March McNamara Reserve
Intra Club 13th March McNamara Reserve
vs Intra Club 20th March McNamara Reserve
Corowa Rutherglen 27
th March John Foord Oval

North Albury Albury 6th March Albury Sports Ground
vs Ainslie FC 13
th March Ainslie
TBC 21
st March Albury Sports Ground

Wangaratta Yarrawonga 6
th March Yarrawonga
vs Tatura 13
th March TBC
Mooroopna 21
st March TBC

Wangaratta Rovers Numurkah 13th March TBC
vs Shepp United 20th March TBC
Benalla 27th March TBC

Wodonga Carnival 13th March Wodonga
vs Wagga Team TBC 20th March Wagga
Shepp United 27th March Wodonga

Wodonga Raiders Myrtleford 6th March Myrtleford
vs Rochester 13th March Rochester
East Ringwood 20th March Birallee Park

Yarrawonga Wangaratta 6th March Yarrawonga
vs Golden Square 13th March Yarrawonga

Tatura 20th March Rumbalara

Premiers Yarra
Gf Yarra v's Albury
Headline one . . Players suspened for abusing umpires after they put on a disgraceful performance
Headline two . . Party Time for myrtleford, Win first game against Wang Magpies
Headline three . . Albury blew it after being up at anzac day, lose to north in thriller

Morris Medal - Matt McDonald
Leading Goal kicker - Leslie
a little biast there and a few long shots but see how things pan out hey haha :thumbsu:
is that matt mcdonald from griffith??

is that matt mcdonald from griffith??

yep, that's the same one draftpick, he's a gun - tough with good skills

on another note, sounds like this will be jarrod twitt's last year in charge at the kennel - he's off to holbrook next season i believe :thumbsu::thumbsu:

yep, that's the same one draftpick, he's a gun - tough with good skills

on another note, sounds like this will be jarrod twitt's last year in charge at the kennel - he's off to holbrook next season i believe :thumbsu::thumbsu:

havent seen him play for years but he was a ball magnet as a youngster. dont tell me afl coaches are following in the rugby league mold of committing to clubs for the following season while they are still coaching another club. how much respect can he expect this year. just a thought

Bright Boy said:

Wodonga Raiders Myrtleford 6th March Myrtleford
vs Rochester 13th March Rochester
East Ringwood 20th March Birallee Park

The raiders match v's Myrtleford will be played on the 7th March at the Albury Sportsground.

couple of good signings at magpie land. daniel boyle back at the club and dale whelan confirmed from frankston. boyle and liddell will go a long way to filling the midfield void left by mccormick and smith. while whelan will be a massive addition at CHF if he is over his knee injury still only young and is a vfl senior level KPP. confirmation of the other half of the whelan equation, as was mooted earler in the year, would be good news for wang as the rucking ranks are looking particularly thin

Re: Ovens and Murray Part 2

Thanks for the reply, but you have both missed the boat. The sign that was put up their stayed their for a number of years before being taken down, and the Lavington F N C referred to it during the season for round ups and the Border Mail even used it, say the Netball GF would be played at Lavi with teams being assigned a section of "THE LES O'BRIEN SHED".

It just shows distain for it to be taken down without explanation to the person involved. and Boxhead you would speak in support of it being taken down, cause you a Tim's brother and a yes tim, yes tim man.

I think you will find the shed was named by David Wright ... not sure on first name ... who was an official at Lavi, so the club did know about it.

Les is an icon in football and Lavi shouldn't stnd so high and mighty, you are just as disloyal if not more than North Albury !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

The sign was erected by Les O'Brien himself. And the "round ups" were done on the microphone by Les O'Brien himself. And a pity David Wright cannot defend himself.

couple of good signings at magpie land. daniel boyle back at the club and dale whelan confirmed from frankston. boyle and liddell will go a long way to filling the midfield void left by mccormick and smith. while whelan will be a massive addition at CHF if he is over his knee injury still only young and is a vfl senior level KPP. confirmation of the other half of the whelan equation, as was mooted earler in the year, would be good news for wang as the rucking ranks are looking particularly thin
All positive news however my mail is Whelan still subject to final medical tests on the dodgy joint.

Interested in the Rover's reaction to Zac O'Brien's move to Yarra - he was also being courted by a couple of powerful Melbourne metro clubs.

All positive news however my mail is Whelan still subject to final medical tests on the dodgy joint.

Interested in the Rover's reaction to Zac O'Brien's move to Yarra - he was also being courted by a couple of powerful Melbourne metro clubs.

my mail from back home is that rovers are not very farcken happy about the obrien move to yarra

have also heard the same on whelan. bloke i know who has some good frankston knowledge says there is still a question mark over his knee, however if right reckons he will tear it up in the O&M

Premiers: Albury by record margin
Grandfinal: Albury vs Raiders
Biggest disappointment: Yarra
Morris Medal: Mark Doolan
Biggest Headline: Albury Biggest winning streak in history of O&M
2nd biggest headline: anzac day brawl, 12 suspensions (raiders vs bulldogs)

I chose Albury because they have covered all losses and improvement from young players will boost the side even further. The only thing that can derail them is in house fighting if it occurs..

I chose Albury because they have covered all losses and improvement from young players will boost the side even further. The only thing that can derail them is in house fighting if it occurs..

i can understand you picking albury, but biggest dissapointment yarra is hard to swallow and raiders in the grand final ?? not sure about that, i think yarra have gone under the radar a bit, they have up to 12 new players expected to play seniors and a good side from last year. dont think albury have replaced their big ruckman cal maclay. what is the longest winning streak in o and m ??

i can understand you picking albury, but biggest dissapointment yarra is hard to swallow and raiders in the grand final ?? not sure about that, i think yarra have gone under the radar a bit, they have up to 12 new players expected to play seniors and a good side from last year. dont think albury have replaced their big ruckman cal maclay. what is the longest winning streak in o and m ??
The biggest streak is 36 by wang rovers so they are a fair way off but its possible. I think you'll find Cal Maclay will be playing for Albury this yr aswell. There always is a big disappointment every yr and i dont think yarra have recruited to their needs..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure your call on Yarra is right, i think they have recruited specifically for their needs - their ruck stocks being the main area. The biggest concern to Yarra is Craig Ednie's fitness.

Grandfinal: Albury vs Yarra
Premiers: Yarra - easier being the hunters!
Morris Medal: Mark Doolan - looks in super order.
Top Five:
Yarra
Albury
Wangaratta - great late signings
Raiders - young team on the improve with good hard bodied recruits
Corowa - good wraps on recruits and probably haven't slipped as far as some
Biggest Headline: Myrtleford Win!!!! A Quarter

Not sure your call on Yarra is right, i think they have recruited specifically for their needs - their ruck stocks being the main area. The biggest concern to Yarra is Craig Ednie's fitness.

Grandfinal: Albury vs Yarra
Premiers: Yarra - easier being the hunters!
Morris Medal: Mark Doolan - looks in super order.
Top Five:
Yarra
Albury
Wangaratta - great late signings
Raiders - young team on the improve with good hard bodied recruits
Corowa - good wraps on recruits and probably haven't slipped as far as some
Biggest Headline: Myrtleford Win!!!! A Quarter
Who are the Corowa recruits

Corowa has essesentially covered the loss of departing players. They have picked up Mark Ainley, Paddy Phelan, and Matt Gadsden (not sure of the spelling)all from melbourne amos as well as highly regarded Hume league ruckman Nick Whiterod. The Melbourne players have all played at a higher standard being either or both WAFL and VFL. It appears at this stage that Craig Taft is the only player from last years side that they haven't replaced with a recruit. So as i said, they probably haven't slipped as far as some.

Anyone truth to the rumour a report was completed on the 40 best O&M players by a couple of prominent O&M personalities and sent North to QLD?

Corowa has essesentially covered the loss of departing players. They have picked up Mark Ainley, Paddy Phelan, and Matt Gadsden (not sure of the spelling)all from melbourne amos as well as highly regarded Hume league ruckman Nick Whiterod. The Melbourne players have all played at a higher standard being either or both WAFL and VFL. It appears at this stage that Craig Taft is the only player from last years side that they haven't replaced with a recruit. So as i said, they probably haven't slipped as far as some.
Thanks for that

Anyone truth to the rumour a report was completed on the 40 best O&M players by a couple of prominent O&M personalities and sent North to QLD?

Don't they do that in the Border Mail during the finals each year?? Buying the paper during September is hardly a cunning plan.:p

Could this have anything to do with strengthening the league in light of the new AFL side and gathering a second tier playing pool.......Or just a club throwing around lots of money

Could this have anything to do with strengthening the league in light of the new AFL side and gathering a second tier playing pool.......Or just a club throwing around lots of money

I think you will d that next year two or three clubs from QLD will be doing what Aspley have done this year. Main reason is thier are no transfer fees for players coming form the O and M. If they were to recruit players from other state leagues (even out of contract) they would have to pay a transfer fees usually around $5,000 for good players even more.

Will clubs have to change their thought process in regards to the Reserves?I reckon with a commitment of 3 nights a week plus game plus recovery for generally $15-$25 a week it would cost the reserve grade players to play for the year.Add in fuel to travel;memberships;uniforms etc it is little wonder most clubs are battling for numbers.I have heard Corowa have approx 26 on their list;Nth Albury;Lavington and Wodonga all with barely 40 and Myrtleford obviously battled in 09.
Country clubs throw good money at these players for less commitment and the chance to become senior players.They may have to reduce their budget on senior footballers and spread a bit more around reserve grade players to keep them.Thoughts?

switch the play, would have thought that the clubs need to better manage their reserves players better to keep them. As a rule I've found that poor management(communication) is the main reason for blokes to depart to district leagues, as most O&M clubs should offer far superior facilities and resources.

Of particular note is when senior coaches bring bloke up from the 2s only to give them very little game time...and this I've seen repeated many times- which will send a bloke out bush quick as you like.

In regard to finance, I believe the O and M clubs should be doing as much as possible to make sure reserve blokes arnt overly out of pocket, again part of the management. Not sure how many reserve stalwarts train 3 nights a week and do a recovery though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back