Ovens & King FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Am a city boy who enjoyed a 1st visit to Pioneer Park in Bright on Saturday v All Blacks. First game of O & K footy.

Very scenic setting, very impressive looking newish rooms, looked a decent side with decent players. Enjoyed seeing the fire pits around the ground to help counter the cold chill in the air.

Sad to see the plight of the All Blacks who had only 19 players including their FF playing on one leg. Noticed they haven't fielded a reserves side this year. The playing group seem to be sticking fat with a good spirit, hope they can hang on. Good on them.

Any chance of Porepunkah fielding a side one day, seems to be growing in recent years or too close to Bright?

What is being done in Benalla to turn it all around?

Tatong & Swanpool long gone.

All Blacks with no reserves.

Benalla Saints not exactly setting the world on fire.

What is being done in Benalla to turn it all around?

Tatong & Swanpool long gone.

All Blacks with no reserves.

Benalla Saints not exactly setting the world on fire.
A merger I believe has been proposed between saints and all blacks, which all blacks shot down,
They are advertising for coaches in all grades currently.

Huge job to whoever tries to take it on, one that may be a bridge to far I fear.

A merger I believe has been proposed between saints and all blacks, which all blacks shot down,

Huge job to whoever tries to take it on, one that may be a bridge to far I fear.
I’ve seen that the Benalla juniors run Red and Black teams. This is a nice touch and could feed into a stronger junior set up.

A left field idea could be to send All Blacks, Goorambat and Bonnie Doon west with KDL clubs that have 3rds and 4ths.

Then Benalla and Mansfield juniors can align with those clubs before feeding into the GV U18s.

I’ve seen that the Benalla juniors run Red and Black teams. This is a nice touch and could feed into a stronger junior set up.

A left field idea could be to send All Blacks, Goorambat and Bonnie Doon west with KDL clubs that have 3rds and 4ths.

Then Benalla and Mansfield juniors can align with those clubs before feeding into the GV U18s.
Far from the worst idea kat, however I think convincing these clubs and committees that this is the right move would be nye on impossible. Especially blacks and gbat.
A strong junior system I believe is key to club sustainability. Since the demise of the 3rds in the o&k many clubs have found it tough to bring in young players.

Currently down at Greta Recreation Reserve and there is no sign of football being played today? Can anyone explain why?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As I mentioned earlier in the season, a meeting pre season with aflne & aflgv we were told in no uncertain terms that an U15 team at VT would be given preference to anything in Benalla. “Anecdotal” evidence is that VT are assisting parents with some travelling expenses, similar to the 2 major Wang sides.

As for the merger talks, not a lot of common ground could be found, so I’m told

As I mentioned earlier in the season, a meeting pre season with aflne & aflgv we were told in no uncertain terms that an U15 team at VT would be given preference to anything in Benalla. “Anecdotal” evidence is that VT are assisting parents with some travelling expenses, similar to the 2 major Wang sides.

As for the merger talks, not a lot of common ground could be found, so I’m told
VT Assisting parents with Travelling? mate i'm heavily involved down at VT and there's nothing from the club for given to Parents to assist with Travelling the Benalla kids that left didn't want to play in the 17s comp in Wangaratta as they were sick of getting flogged and a few saw the opportunity to have another year of top age football. I know a few of them will now go back and have a crack at GV thirds. and thats how it should be. If Benalla had 1 side in each of the Grades in Wang the Saints 3rds and the rest filtered out to VT Junior Football and long term Senior football would be better off for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Reid retires, Bright will win 2025 flag

Mancefield shouldn't be in the wangaratta junior comp
They were to play in bright last week but pulled the pin because of lack of numbers
But then said if we change the venue closer we maybe able to get a side 🤔

Big day tomorrow for my blues, with the skipper Scut Bell bringing up his 100th game, hopefully can get on the end of a few and give out some of his trademark celebrations!!

Should be a contest with KV but the blues depth with hold them in good stead

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ben Reid and family moving to QLD, doubtful Sam Reid will move back after being settled in Sydney for 15 years

Milawa’s game today was different. Played a chip and chase game where by if they had had have gone long and high they would have beaten us by a lot more… 4th place will their resting place this year. A few egos started to bubble to the surface. Very impressed with no. 13 (dunne ?). Cleaned up beautifully off hb all day

Last edited:
Milawa’s game today was different. Played a chip and chase game where by if they had had have gone long and high they would have beaten us by a lot more… 4th place will their resting place this year. A few egos started to bubble to the surface. Very impressed with no. 13 (dunne ?). Cleaned up beautifully off hb all da
Bats over the Dees was a bit of an upset, anyone go to that game that can shed some light?
Doon and KV another close one, always hard to get the win up at the valley but I expected Doon to get over the line a bit more comfortably than that.

Probably the closed round we have had for a while.

Bats over the Dees was a bit of an upset, anyone go to that game that can shed some light?
Doon and KV another close one, always hard to get the win up at the valley but I expected Doon to get over the line a bit more comfortably than that.

Probably the closed round we have had for a while.
A good contest for three quarters but you always felt that Goorambat were dominating play but couldn't finish off, which they did in the last but kicked poorly (4 goals 8 Behinds) so probably should have doubled the margin in the end. Milawa did have a few out Murphy, Owen, Dan Bihun and Swain and had 2 double up from the reserves but Jamie Dunne and Victor Butler were very prominent for the Bats.

Premiership to wooden spoon x2 then maybe 🤔
Mismanagement of a club at its finest. Who answers for this deep decline?
More importantly will they be around next year?
Not sure who you blame for players moving away, travelling with family or retiring. There arn’t to many players that just took the money and ran to other clubs. 1 went to milawa. And a couple had to follow their daddy to goorambat. One chased more money to Greta. Once a club starts losing players it is a snowballing effect unfortunately. Especially when there just isn't players around to replace the natural attrition that happens to every club on top of that. No club is innocent when it comes to the downfall of country football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens & King FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back