Ovens & Murray Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

and that's where the damage is being done. no one will want to go and watch and im only using an example say corowa get belted by 20+ goals and on the same token no player wants to play in that type of game. these lower rung clubs will suffer greatly and to say it goes in a cycle maybe true in the old scale but now with the type of money and businessman involved it won't abate anytime soon. something needs to be done or corowa will end up in Hume league and myrtleford in o and k.

It is a given that Corowa & Myrtleford will not survive in the O&M. If not next year, in 5 years, 10 years. Unless they find another 5000 people to boost their populations. The O&M know it & have already begun making contingency plans for them not being there.

It only works if the league has the capacity to fully enforce the rulings.

I heard the Hume league uses it, but clearly the hume league cant enforce it so its pointless (pardon the pun) to use it there.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Corowa or Myrtleford out of the O&M in the next few years, they cant keep up with the bigger clubs (spending/recruiting, sponsorship etc), unfortunately it will hold the league back to keep them in the league. In saying that, i dont want either team gone.

What hurts Corowa the most is the country leagues paying depth O&M players more money than they are worth. Corowa cannot justify paying overs for depth players, hence why the twos at corowa struggle to attract players. whereas Albury and Yarra pay some of their ressies more money than some of Corowas senior players get payed.

Don't know where you pulled that from mate, if you don't play 1's you don't get match payments at Yarra. All you get is your footy jumper at year end, all registrations fees and uniforms paid for.

They even have 3 ex locals travel from Melbourne to play in the 2's each week for no $$. And these guys are not pushing for 1's, they just love playing for the club.

The points system will work I believe as soon as they can do a complete back ground check on the player. Now that all leagues are using sportingpulse they will be able to chase the records of players back to 2008 there fore not requiring clubs to submit player points. The original concept was that it would take atleast 10 yrs to sought out all the loop holes.

Don't know where you pulled that from mate, if you don't play 1's you don't get match payments at Yarra. All you get is your footy jumper at year end, all registrations fees and uniforms paid for.

They even have 3 ex locals travel from Melbourne to play in the 2's each week for no $$. And these guys are not pushing for 1's, they just love playing for the club.

Thats hard to believe, but ill take your word on it.

I know of blokes who play 2's at albury that get paid some pretty good coin, i just assumed yarra were the same.

But then again maybe im looking at it from the wrong way, maybe success will bring out unselfish players that will sacrifice $$$ for playing at a successful club.

Well said but that happens every where. Mates wanting to play for their home town.
Looking at all this media exposure I know who is loving it . The O&M . I bet they are sitting back saying more EX Afl players the better. Equals more money on the gate !! Yes we feel sorry for the lower teams but each club goes through the ups and downs. It's just that Yarra and Albury are flying high for alot longer then most clubs. Looking at all the players running around for Yarra I'm guessing it will cost them between $25000 and $35000 if they have a full side on the park. Ottens won't be cheap but is chasing a flag like all footballers. Let's remember these guys are in their 30's and chasing glory at the end of their footy career's. Give it 2 or 3 years and Yarra could be back in the middle.

Now to Myrtleford and Corowa the O&M wouldn't let them leave but if they could find another club to join say from Wagga or out of the Murray League it might be a different story.

What clubs come to mind to join the O&M? It's a bad thought but with mytrleford and corowa it's only a matter of time until they step down a level!
Also maybe cap the amount of ex-afl players max 2each side maybe?
Just a thought

What clubs come to mind to join the O&M? It's a bad thought but with mytrleford and corowa it's only a matter of time until they step down a level!
Can only think of Wagga. Need a population base of >6000 i would think plus would be very difficult for a country league club to step up to the standard in terms of facilities, ground maintenance etc. I would think the league has a strategy in place if this were to occur.
Personally i think merger of say Corowa with Wahgunyah or Coreen. And merger of myrtleford with bright ( i know the thirds are, but one club one league)

Also maybe cap the amount of ex-afl players max 2each side maybe?
Just a thought

I like the idea but i think that it would get scrapped the moment an ex-afl player chooses to play in goulburn valley league because chosen o&m club has hit their cap.

I seen this in the border mail today "Meanwhile, star Pigeon Brendan Fevola had his first official training run for the year with a handful of his teammates at Gosch’s paddock in Melbourne on Tuesday night"

How many yarra players are based in melbourne ? besides Fev & Pettifier. And Ottens ofcourse

A points based system where every senior side needs to field 7 players that have graduated from their 3rds program would be a really good leveller and see clubs direct more of their funds toward junior development, rather than pay a bloke a massive whack to play a few early games then front up for finals.

The O&M has really lost its tribal aspect, once upon a time when you went to watch Corowa vs Yarra or Wang vs Rovers etc it was local kids doing battle for their town, bragging rights for another year that our mob are better than yours. Supporters were really proud of their teams. Now the only blokes that feel that sense of pride are the big money backers who have manipulated the comp to become lopsided and for the vast majorioty of traditional O&M people - boring!

A points based system where every senior side needs to field 7 players that have graduated from their 3rds program would be a really good leveller and see clubs direct more of their funds toward junior development, rather than pay a bloke a massive whack to play a few early games then front up for finals.

The O&M has really lost its tribal aspect, once upon a time when you went to watch Corowa vs Yarra or Wang vs Rovers etc it was local kids doing battle for their town, bragging rights for another year that our mob are better than yours. Supporters were really proud of their teams. Now the only blokes that feel that sense of pride are the big money backers who have manipulated the comp to become lopsided and for the vast majorioty of traditional O&M people - boring!

I agree with alot of what you point out, i do think there are still strong tribal like rivalries but it is slowly starting to diminish

Think you'll find most sides still retain a fair number of their juniors in their senior side. From last years senior grandfinal side Yarra had at least 7 players from their juniors (not sure on Cooper and Lawless so not counting them). Of the others only Fev, Henderson and Lawless do not live in Yarra so there was still a lot of desire to play well for your town and strong rivalries.

Think you'll find most sides still retain a fair number of their juniors in their senior side. From last years senior grandfinal side Yarra had at least 7 players from their juniors (not sure on Cooper and Lawless so not counting them). Of the others only Fev, Henderson and Lawless do not live in Yarra so there was still a lot of desire to play well for your town and strong rivalries.

Let's look at this way with the EX AFL players. Fev and Ottens finished 2 years ago. Ednie how many ? The only two I can think of who have stepped straight out of AFL is Gram and Polo. So what I'm saying is there towards the end of their career and not in here 20's . Yes it's great they are playing in the O&M but that's thanks to the hard work of the clubs and the cash that is paid. Corowa have picked up a few from Canberra which isn't a chicken feed league. Let's just see what happens but more important is will these guys come back next season.

By the way Bordermail the O&M Dreamteam looks great on paper again !!! Time will tell who plays !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's look at this way with the EX AFL players. Fev and Ottens finished 2 years ago. Ednie how many ? The only two I can think of who have stepped straight out of AFL is Gram and Polo. So what I'm saying is there towards the end of their career and not in here 20's . Yes it's great they are playing in the O&M but that's thanks to the hard work of the clubs and the cash that is paid. Corowa have picked up a few from Canberra which isn't a chicken feed league. Let's just see what happens but more important is will these guys come back next season.

By the way Bordermail the O&M Dreamteam looks great on paper again !!! Time will tell who plays !!

corowa's players from Canberra won't be stars far from it. id be surprised if they see the year as they are travellers. coming from a reigning premier to a side not likely to figure. no amount of money would make that trip fun

Hearing big things about a young bloke named Jack Cooke at yarrawonga ? im pretty sure thats his name, heard he has been burning the track up? can anyone confirm if that is his name?

Can anyone around Yarra, please confirm or deny this....

Have heard on the grapevine that Yarrawonga have secured the services of yet another former AFL superstar, to fill the hole left by Fevola, (due to his suspension) for the Easter Sunday game. This player was the heart and soul at Tigerland for many years. Not sure if it's a one off, or if he will play a few games.

I will give you a hint, he used to wear the number after 11...

Have heard on the grapevine that Yarrawonga have secured the services of yet another former AFL superstar, to fill the hole left by Fevola, (due to his suspension) for the Easter Sunday game. This player was the heart and soul at Tigerland for many years. Not sure if it's a one off, or if he will play a few games.

Joel bowden????

This was floated almost immediately after last years gf

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens & Murray Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back