Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid has been redeveloped and surface wise is now Mickey Mouse
Really! My closest oval to home was the Mack Oval, but when I take my sons to Warrnambool I have been known to take the youngest for a kick at the Reid. That whole Albert Park precinct is great. Black armbands for South with the passing of “Cowboy” Neale.

I was briefly talking to Hugh McCluggage at the kids day they put on at the Brunswick St Oval and I asked him what was it about South Warrnambool and the production of VFL / AFL footballers, especially really good ones. He was stumped, but they have had their share.

Now that you’ve got me started 😉,
here’s a link to a list of Hampden League players who played VFL / AFL - some flat out CHAMPIONS in this lot. Including a couple of Brownlow Winners.

Category:Hampden Football League players - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Really! My closest oval to home was the Mack Oval, but when I take my sons to Warrnambool I have been known to take the youngest for a kick at the Reid. That whole Albert Park precinct is great. Black armbands for South with the passing of “Cowboy” Neale.

I was briefly talking to Hugh McCluggage at the kids day they put on at the Brunswick St Oval and I asked him what was it about South Warrnambool and the production of VFL / AFL footballers, especially really good ones. He was stumped, but they have had their share.

Now that you’ve got me started 😉,
here’s a link to a list of Hampden League players who played VFL / AFL - some flat out CHAMPIONS in this lot. Including a couple of Brownlow Winners.

Category:Hampden Football League players - Wikipedia
For context, could you name a greatest first 23 team, I bet it’d make great reading.

Last edited:
That might take time, but it would have Watson, Lord and Couch as Brownlow winners and certainly Hugh McCluggage, Jordan Lewis, Wayne Schwass, Fred Hughson, Jonathan Brown and John Rantall.
Country Footy Scores - Ken Piesse - Favourite Son's of Hampden
Did they ever do one of those Hampden League Team of the Centuries? Sounds like you’d get more than a few very strong sides. Does that include Koroit and Colac and if I’m not mistaken, that was all Fitzroy territory prior to the comp going national?

Did they ever do one of those Hampden League Team of the Centuries? Sounds like you’d get more than a few very strong sides. Does that include Koroit and Colac and if I’m not mistaken, that was all Fitzroy territory prior to the comp going national?
Yep - Fitzroy Zone. Couldn’t find a Team of the Century after a cursory effort.

Just watched Ron Barrassi being interviewed by Michael Parkinson in 1980.
The thing that struck me most was how intelligent and articulate Barrassi was. A thoughtful and nuanced intellect.

Last edited:
1218CD82-5959-4051-ACEC-3EE9A45E8B16.jpeg Hi over 50s Fitzroy faithful
Picked this up in blue mountains op shop today
It’s an addidas issue and judging from footy jumpers.com because of raised yoke it’s based on design from 1995 and 96.
I’m puzzled because they’re is no AFL or sponsors logo and am wondering why
If it wasn’t official AFL licensed uniform why would addidas produce them?
Note the crooked level near the vee
Is this jumper unusual?
Thanks

View attachment 1812645Hi over 50s Fitzroy faithful
Picked this up in blue mountains op shop today
It’s an addidas issue and judging from footy jumpers.com because of raised yoke it’s based on design from 1995 and 96.
I’m puzzled because they’re is no AFL or sponsors logo and am wondering why
If it wasn’t official AFL licensed uniform why would addidas produce them?
Note the crooked level near the vee
Is this jumper unusual?
Thanks
It might be the jumper of a non VFL / AFL club. Forrest Football Club in the Otway Ranges used to play in the Brisbane Lions jumper, perhaps there is another club back in the day that wore that Fitzroy jumper?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back