Over soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which bit of ASADA saying that it is banned under any circumstances are you struggling with?

The stupid thing is the way these certain Essendon supporters are clinging to this foolish idea that they can get off on a technicality when that totally ignores the fact that they took a drug that ASADA and WADA *CLEARLY* do not want athletes to be taking. ****, it would be like Justin Charles getting off because of incorrect paperwork and all the Richmond supporters cheering him on for not being busted. It really is that stupid.

Essendon really really really needed a photocopier last year! Seems to me a couple of A4 copies of these documents that apparently existed and the club could have slapped those puppies down on a desk in front of the assembled media and we wouldn't be here now.

Where were you when Essendon needed you, Xerox??

I will post this again. What does it say Essendon claimed they saw.

3AW Football@3AWisfootball
22h
ASADA denying giving Dank a letter of approval for AOD 9604. Which is what the Bombers were shown. They need the document released. #afl
Doesn't mean anything because ASADA give advice not hand out letters. If enquire about a supplement on their site they give you a receipt number.

Essendon really really really needed a photocopier last year! Seems to me a couple of A4 copies of these documents that apparently existed and the club could have slapped those puppies down on a desk in front of the assembled media and we wouldn't be here now.

Where were you when Essendon needed you, Xerox??
How many times you gonna use that line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They is the club.

AOD has a potential to repair joints ie cartilage

Kind of shooting yourself in the foot with that claim Mxett, and demonstrating your understanding of doping is a little lacking. By what action does AOD repair joints? The only reasonable way it could work would be by acting like a growth hormone, which would see it banned under S2 instead of S0, which wouldn't really help your case.

The stupid thing is the way these certain Essendon supporters are clinging to this foolish idea that they can get off on a technicality when that totally ignores the fact that they took a drug that ASADA and WADA *CLEARLY* do not want athletes to be taking. ****, it would be like Justin Charles getting off because of incorrect paperwork and all the Richmond supporters cheering him on for not being busted. It really is that stupid.

I agree. If Essendon prove that AOD doesn't work to enhance performance then they will have gotten off because of sheer dumb luck. If they can prove it then it goes a long way to getting them heavily reduced sanctions, but not because of they haven't done the wrong thing. They still did the wrong thing by injecting AOD with the obvious intention of enhancing performance. The intention at the time was illegal (or so reckless that it makes no difference), but they will get lucky by the fact that in retrospect AOD probably did nothing for their performance.

"Since 2011, AOD-9604 has come under section S. 0 of the World Anti-Doping Prohibited List."
Player consent forms seen by the Herald Sun show some Essendon players were prescribed weekly injections of AOD-9604 during the 2012 season by Essendon's former sports scientist Stephen Dank.

Jerry maybe you and I are sillies but... this is open and shut no? Banned in 2011 used in 2012.

thats-all-folks_163.gif

It seems to me that some non-Essendon fans are hoping that Essendon is punished / careers ruined / reputations trashed over what is really an obscure technicality.
Yes we wouldn't want a players career ruined when he is innocent, would we?
I am hoping that principle is upheld throughout AFL for every player.
But I know for certainty that isn't the case.
It is who you know, who you are related to and how you fit in the boys' club.

It seems to me that some non-Essendon fans are hoping that Essendon is punished / careers ruined / reputations trashed over what is really an obscure technicality.

I don't see how taking a banned drug is "an obscure technicality".

Not me. I hope players are playing footy, fans are watching footy and people who organize systematic doping regimes are out of the game.

Disagree that is is an obscure technicality. It's bloody obvious that WADA and ASADA do not want athletes injecting it.

What is debatable is whether the players deliberately set out to cheat. I think only the ferals are pushing that they did. I think Essendon got too clever by half. However, that's the probalem with the doping code. It has to be strict (and you could say unfair) by not taking intentions into the eqation. I'm sure this has been mentioned 1001 times but if you could get off by claiming ignorance then what do you think a 'genunie' doper would have to do to get off? Simply claim some bullshit story that he was told it is ok.

Yeah it's not really fair and repuatations are going to get trashed like you say. But it's not fair to be one of the other AFL players competing against a team full of players that cheated (knowingly or not).

Remove this Banner Ad

Over soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back