Overrated films...

Remove this Banner Ad

MEN IN BLACK ....pffft !

I will only comment on movies I've watched and see this as just 'overated / not worthy' considering the nine week promotion it was getting at the time.

Haven't seen Gladiator yet as I'm not a Russ Crowe fan, he doesn't excite me as an actor and as for winning awards for the 'Insider' starring along side the legendary 'Al Pacino' ...I'm stumped how he got all the accolades when it was Al Pacino who put some 'bite' into that movie that lacked some sting. But I noticed someone has BRANDED Gladiator as an overated movie to start this thread....what more can I say...

Originally posted by Portmagpies
No, well aware that Kane set a new standard for technical achievement. However, it's story is cold and completely unengaging.

I don't know about you, but I watch movies for story, not fancy camera tricks.
What??

Citizen Kane's technical genius, is only surpassed by the fact that it had a brilliant storyline. It sucks you in from start to finish.

That it isn't a Spieldberg-esque Hollywood "fluffy-ending" cop out, doesn't make it cold, it makes it real!

Probably the greatest story of any film ever (maybe Meatballs 3 could top it, but that's it)!!

And who can hate a film responsible for a million Simpsons gags? "Bobo".

To those who said American Beauty, you get a "Scratch and Sniff" sticker because you are correct. If it took that film for Americans to realise that they were self-centred superficial freaks, then God help us. The big screen equivalent of Home and Away, only with a less engaging storyline and less murders.

Plus when you get tripe such as Shakespeare in Love winning Academy Awards, your faith in those superficial Americans worsens! I'd have preferred Spielberg's "fluffy ending" cop out in Saving Private Ryan, win over a bastardisation of Shakespeare's life! That Shakespeare be in love with a woman is in itself a debatable issue...not that there's anything wrong with that!!

Originally posted by FIGJAM
What??

To those who said American Beauty, you get a "Scratch and Sniff" sticker because you are correct. If it took that film for Americans to realise that they were self-centred superficial freaks, then God help us. The big screen equivalent of Home and Away, only with a less engaging storyline and less murders.!!

I would say that a big-screen version of The Simpsons was a better comparison. I love that movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pulp Fiction
Taxi Driver
The Care Bears Movie

I thought American Beauty was fantastic. I saw it soon after it came out, knowing pretty much SFA about it, other than having read a positive review in the Australian, and was blown away. Anyway, each to their own....

Pulp Fiction for mine.

Also found Minority Report and Gangs of New York to be somewhat over-rated, but they weren't billed as classics like Pulp Fiction was.

Actually I'd say both LOTR FOTR and LOTR TTT were over-rated. The hype built me up to believe they would be the best movies ever made, but they ended up being only about top 20-ever for me. Still huge raps for them, though.

Originally posted by Portmagpies
No, well aware that Kane set a new standard for technical achievement. However, it's story is cold and completely unengaging.

I don't know about you, but I watch movies for story, not fancy camera tricks.

much the same as the matrix hey.

Originally posted by Woodson
MEN IN BLACK ....pffft !

I will only comment on movies I've watched and see this as just 'overated / not worthy' considering the nine week promotion it was getting at the time.

thought exactly that myself when i went to see it. it was meant to be this awesome movie etc etc, meanwhile hardly anything happens during it and has a shyte ending too.

Forrest Gump. I might have enjoyed it more, if it hadn't been hyped up so much. I was expecting to see a great film, but it didn't deliver.

Some of the choices made so far are some of the movies that I enjoy watching several times.

Oh well, horses for courses

Hyped up crap I remember include --

1976 - A Star is Born (complete trash)

1960 - The Alamo (really aint as bad as they say)

1974 - Zardoz (John Alderton should have stuck to "Please Sir")

1985 - A View to a Kill (easily worst ever Bond movie)

2000 - Battlefield Earth ( not sure if anyone has ever liked it)

Snake Eyes - It is without doubt the worst movie ever made.
Chicken Park - It's only saving grace is nudity, but if you expect craptacular movie about giant chickens in a theme park, you've got a winner.
Independence Day - Anytime I see this movie it makes me want to cry, and not in a sappy "you had me at hello" type of way. If I had a film festival with bogans, bundy and bad movies; this would be on opening night.
Invasion of the Saucer men - Who ever knew that plates and strings could produce the biggest cliffhanger since Webster went missing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Overrated films...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back