News Owies, Cottrell, SDurdin & Honey Sign On

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

The Carlton Football Club has made further off-season signings with Matthew Owies and Matthew Cottrell remaining in Navy Blue for two more years while Sam Durdin and Josh Honey have signed one-year deals.

Overall good news but a but surprised at two years for Owies.

Doubt he has that much growth to come. Defends well. Doesn't play the offensive side as a small. Almost never crumbs. Tries to get on the lead but isn't athletic enough to get separation. Can't reliably kick goals from 40+m.

Happy to try one more year but two is a bit of an over commitment. That said, he's probably being paid well below league average.

If they can coach him to play the offensive side as a small, things might look up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on them for securing deals.

But geez Owies to a 2 year deal is a head scratcher.

Only thing he is really reliable for is some ok fwd pressure. With ball in hand, has very few tricks, disposal is iffy, not the quickest decision maker just isn't creative. Even when we have the ball he gets lost. He's 26 next year and I don't really see that much improvement from him.

Hope he proves me wrong and kicks 40 next year, but yeah, I see him as depth.

Would have given Owies a year, the rest, all fair and reasonable

Get the feeling Cuners and Marchbank get delisted and re-rookied, possibly Ed too
Would mean promoting existing rookies - we've got 5 already, max is 6. Not sure there is a need to delist/re-rookie, it doesn't really provide any benefit any more.

Would mean promoting existing rookies - we've got 5 already, max is 6. Not sure there is a need to delist/re-rookie, it doesn't really provide any benefit any more.
The benefit is that we can manage those currently on the rookie list. A player is only permitted three years on the rookie list before promotion, delisting or if run the gauntlet of another club intervening re-rookie.

Mirkov and Boyd have two year contracts and have been on the list 1.5 years each. I have yet to find out if their half years count as one or zero regarding the three year maximum. I suspect one, which would require promotion next off season at the latest. Both shape as long term required players, thus require upgrade. Sensibly, at least one should be promoted this year along with Owies while we are doing multiple list changes.

Pushing an existing player with questions to the rookie list and promoting one or more makes perfect sense. Remember we also have O’Brien and Cottrell with two years remaining on the rookie list. No way known we promote three or four in one year if they all “make it” and deserve retention.

Seems owies is a bit under rated here. He fully deserves the 2 year contract. High pressure player and can kick goals.

Remember he was kicking goals but some team dynamic changed which also impacted on his and our other smalls forwards goal kicking. Once team restabalises to how we were playing early season I’m confident he and other smalls will kick goals again.

Seems owies is a bit under rated here. He fully deserves the 2 year contract. High pressure player and can kick goals.

Remember he was kicking goals but some team dynamic changed which also impacted on his and our other smalls forwards goal kicking. Once team restabalises to how we were playing early season I’m confident he and other smalls will kick goals again.
Owies is very highly rated by coaches, his field positioning and tackle pressure are greatly admired. Personally I think his reaction times are a bit slow but I'm unqualified to assess afl talent.

Sent from my SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

News Owies, Cottrell, SDurdin & Honey Sign On

Remove this Banner Ad

Back