News Owies, Cottrell, SDurdin & Honey Sign On

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have all been one year deals.
Boyd two every day of the week. The rookies on minimum chips plus match payments worth two. Owies who must be promoted is the only question mark for mine, but I suspect two years might have been on a smaller base than one. Is rated highly by Voss for pressure, so not unreasonable

Honey will hopefully become best 22. The only one still developing.
The others are depth and AFL ready if required.
Maybe there’s not much out there to recruit? The list team would know how the market is looking in terms of depth players and we’ve invested (not Durdin) quite a lot in many of the recent signings, they’re ready to fill holes where required.
Two years is generally appropriate.

Outside of Cottrell, nothing to get overly excited about.
The exciting part is that we have good solid depth. That is mature depth at the right price, similar cost to draftees, but reportedly “generous” match payments should they hold their spots.

The reduced list spots in recent years threatens the list balance of all clubs. We are “fortunate” in that we have had forty odd arguably good enough and ready for play (fitness aside). Thus we are “happy” to release/trade a few players and increase our young developing players from the draft.

Seems owies is a bit under rated here. He fully deserves the 2 year contract. High pressure player and can kick goals.

Remember he was kicking goals but some team dynamic changed which also impacted on his and our other smalls forwards goal kicking. Once team restabalises to how we were playing early season I’m confident he and other smalls will kick goals again.

He rates above league average in one category (tackles inside 50m).

That’s probably why he’s underrated by a lot of supporters.

He wouldn’t get a game for any of the teams who qualified for finals.

He is a squad depth player at best if we are to become a flag contender.

Attachments

• C3534BDC-A010-4D09-8DCD-98A3C4D2C78D.png
    C3534BDC-A010-4D09-8DCD-98A3C4D2C78D.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 897D0B2F-45A9-46ED-96F4-3E7215FB67B7.png
    897D0B2F-45A9-46ED-96F4-3E7215FB67B7.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 7E299A81-D23C-4D65-B751-F4D6215ACF3F.png
    7E299A81-D23C-4D65-B751-F4D6215ACF3F.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 6FAF4340-C5EA-4F40-B0EB-8E4D7031D8C6.png
    6FAF4340-C5EA-4F40-B0EB-8E4D7031D8C6.png
    45 KB · Views: 69
Owies is very highly rated by coaches, his field positioning and tackle pressure are greatly admired. Personally I think his reaction times are a bit slow but I'm unqualified to assess afl talent.

Sent from my SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im fully qualified to assess afl talent.

I only need to watch for a few minutes of them playing and I can tell immediately if they are any good.

Really think Durdin can sit very well alongside weiters after a preseason. Owies just needs to improve his consistency across 4 quarters over the summer. I have confidence that cottrell will improve dramatically as well. That leaves us with the hope that honey gets a clean run at it and finds a way to establish himself at the club.

Im fully qualified to assess afl talent.

I only need to watch for a few minutes of them playing and I can tell immediately if they are any good.

I wanted Michael Sexton delisted after a game against Melbourne in 1992.

Rated Adam Bentick, Karl Norman, Nick Graham and thought Matty Watson would make it (thought he'd be the new "woof" actually).

Best I shush now...

Boyd two every day of the week. The rookies on minimum chips plus match payments worth two. Owies who must be promoted is the only question mark for mine, but I suspect two years might have been on a smaller base than one. Is rated highly by Voss for pressure, so not unreasonable
I meant the four signings that this thread refers to. Cottrell is the only one you would make an argument for 2 years. I personally would have discarded Owies and reinvested in the draft, relying on Honey, Motlop, Fisher, Martin, Cuningham, Philp, and Corey Durdin to get the job done, but that's just me apparently.

Durdin wound up showing just enough for another year, just hoping it's not an injury dogged one now that he's back in the system.

Rated Adam Bentick, Karl Norman, Nick Graham and thought Matty Watson would make it (thought he'd be the new "woof" actually).

Best I shush now...
Yeah that’s a pretty poor record mate.

Jokes aside we can only put our trust in the coaches and other footy department folks.

so does anyone know who is left, unsigned

After yesterday's & today's re-signings, players out of contract:-

8. Lachie Fogarty
22. Caleb Marchbank
28. David Cuningham
35. Ed Curnow (nothing official from the Club on re-signing)
41. Domanic Akuei (Cat B Rookie)
43. Will Setterfield

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems owies is a bit under rated here. He fully deserves the 2 year contract. High pressure player and can kick goals.

Remember he was kicking goals but some team dynamic changed which also impacted on his and our other smalls forwards goal kicking. Once team restabalises to how we were playing early season I’m confident he and other smalls will kick goals again.
He kicks less than a goal a game and goes at 41% accuracy. We could get a forward pocket that does more than that every year.

Best I shush now...
Man, good on you. Refreshing that someone will own up to not being an expert.

I rated the Watson draft (2010) as the coming of the new dawn and you couldnot tell me different. Watson. McCarthy, Mitchell, McInnes and some old dude called Duigan who I didn’t rate. We effectively built our spine for the next 10 years in one draft. Oops. I’m no expert, I’ll leave it to the club. And I’ll expect they stuff it up on occasion too.

Ill never find it, but Petracca and Salem were seen as busts 3-4 years ago but Melbourne persevered. Just saying. Then there was Dom Tyson, and Watts and who knows. Everyone remember who RIC took instead of Buddy and Roughy. Tom Boyd,……….do I go on. The incessant bashing of SOS and the club is so old. Move on and support what we do have and hope we get get another Duigan or a Hird or Mitchell. It’s a lottery. AFL is sooooooo different to TAC.

He kicks less than a goal a game and goes at 41% accuracy. We could get a forward pocket that does more than that every year.
Will your phantom forward pocket apply good pressure and help with team defence as well?

As i mentioned earlier he was a good goal kicker but for some reason the goals have tapered off. I’m thinking it has something to do with a new set up ...perhaps Voss asking the smalls to push back and help defend whilst relying on H and Charlie to kick the goals.

Until I see a more coherent forward set up with more targeted f50 entries and leads I’m not writing owies off just yet.

Man, good on you. Refreshing that someone will own up to not being an expert.

I rated the Watson draft (2010) as the coming of the new dawn and you couldnot tell me different. Watson. McCarthy, Mitchell, McInnes and some old dude called Duigan who I didn’t rate. We effectively built our spine for the next 10 years in one draft. Oops. I’m no expert, I’ll leave it to the club. And I’ll expect they stuff it up on occasion too.

Ill never find it, but Petracca and Salem were seen as busts 3-4 years ago but Melbourne persevered. Just saying. Then there was Dom Tyson, and Watts and who knows. Everyone remember who RIC took instead of Buddy and Roughy. Tom Boyd,……….do I go on. The incessant bashing of SOS and the club is so old. Move on and support what we do have and hope we get get another Duigan or a Hird or Mitchell. It’s a lottery. AFL is sooooooo different to TAC.

Its a bit of fun bagging SOS - more a dig at those who insisted he was the best thing since sliced bread and could do no wrong

Agreed.

Before his injury he was getting multiple shots at goal a game. Yes he had the yips a bit, but that is something that happens to players and can be fixed...his overall technique is fine.

He also started showing he can kick further this year, kicking set shot goals from near 50m out.

Wasn't great after his injury which sticks in people's minds, but neither were guys like Weitering and Pitto. Injuries really cruelled us this year.

People also forget that this year was basically the first time Owies has been a regular best 22 player, so it's a learning curve for him. But I think him being older and a bit more experienced than Durdin, Motlop and Honey helped.

Why don’t we try this bloke on the wing. Huge tank and has skill. Open field, he could break lines and be damaging.
Don't think he's got the footysmarts or ability to find the ball. He's also got a bit of an issue with fumbling at the top level that he'll need to resolve before he even becomes a forward pocket.

Physically, he can absolutely do it.

I like the one year contracts - Voss wants to see some mongrel as far as wanting to stay on a list from developing players.

Not surprised at all by where the Club rates Setterfield - same as it rates Dow.

Interesting what is going on with Marchbank and Cuningham ( the ghost) - I hope they are both on the list for 23. Same for Ed who if fit would have played the last few games.

Philp and Fogarty - these blokes would be on thin ice I would imagine.

There are a couple in VFL I like the look of - especially Lieu ( sp?)

Hopefully Honey has a full pre-season along with Kemp - (and Cuningham) these blokes I have confidence in winning their one on ones and breaking lines. The Club is borderline abusing Kemp with the back to front to back to front switching of the bloke - he is AFL quality.

Would be fascinating to have some insight into the length of contract decisions made by the club.

Reckon posters just look at the player and say "he's not that good, why bother giving him two years".

Suspect that the List Management team already have a pretty good read on the delisting/trading candidates for 2023. Out of contract and probably at some risk in 12 months - Honey, Plowman, Gov, Dow, S. Durdin, Philp. Less pressure but not "must keeps" (subject to other list changes) - Kemp, JSOS, Pitto, Gov, Newman.

If the LM team don't think they'll need to delist Owies at the end of next year (ie. because they've got 5 or 6 names ahead of him, and a few players they might shop for trades), then it's probably good list management to give him an extra year in exchange for less money per year.

Owies will play a role, provide pressure, and force someone to take his position from him. He's also a good example to put next to someone like Motlop, who was aaaaall about the shots on goal early in the season but got selected over the final few games off the back of meeting standards for pressure. He's also never going to be on astronomical amounts of money unless he explodes.

He's someone they'll drop when we have better, and someone to keep on the list until we are so aflush with small forward options that he's not a chance anyway despite kicking bags in the reserves.

There is no reason Owies cant be a Paul Puopolo type of player - Puopolo probably a bit faster but similar builds i would presume

He kicked 15 (22 games), 22 (25 games) and 29 (23 games) in their premiership years. Only one of those years did he kick more than a goal a game on average and averaged less than a goal a game his whole career

Not saying Owies will be like him, but no reason he cant.

There is no reason Owies cant be a Paul Puopolo type of player - Puopolo probably a bit faster but similar builds i would presume

He kicked 15 (22 games), 22 (25 games) and 29 (23 games) in their premiership years. Only one of those years did he kick more than a goal a game on average and averaged less than a goal a game his whole career

Not saying Owies will be like him, but no reason he cant.
Speed and crumbing ability would be the main reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Owies, Cottrell, SDurdin & Honey Sign On

Remove this Banner Ad

Back