Owners

Remove this Banner Ad

Levy and ENIC have hit their ceiling. Very rarely will the side with the 6th largest wage bill crack the top 4. For all his stupid football decisions Levy is a fantastic businessman and that is why ENIC have him in charge of their investment. Since their arrival we've:
- achieved top 4 twice,
- broke the world record for a player sale,
- built a state of the art new youth & training facility,
- about to complete a player's lodge at the training facility (to be used by us and visiting overseas teams playing in London)
- will move in to a 56,000 seat stadium.
- all while increasing our profits over time

This will only increase ENIC's return on investment once we are sold (and get Levy a healthy bonus I'm sure). I don't think ENIC's goal is for us to be a top 4 side at all. They've done nothing to show that's their aim (constantly selling players & sacking managers). The aim is to keep us close enough and turning a profit until a new buyer comes in with a massive amount in mind. A US company enquired about buying us late last year but they were priced out. At that point the new stadium wasn't a certainty so the asking price wouldn't have been worth it for them. Until Levy & ENIC are gone top 4 achievements should be a bonus rather than the expectation.

I wouldn’t say very rarely, that depends on what exactly you’re paying for, and exactly how tight the competition is. If going by this article: www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/revealed-manchester-united-wage-bill-is-10-times-more-than-burnley-and-higher-than-manchester-city-and-chelsea-10193532.html (also noting what season they are talking about), what does it say about Newcastle (a lot on wages, but poor results) and Southampton (8th place last year, and the 5th lowest out of the current clubs)? (That QPR wage bill… let’s not forget these guys were in the Championship last season, what were to happen if they lost to Derby?)

Last season was definitely a fall. There were some really shocking results there. Levy’s done some fantastic business, and has set the club up with some impressive facilities. But now lies the problem, the players are all too aware of the club’s ambition (or lack of), and this will certainly have a knock on effect on the quality of players that are willing to go there. This will also reduce the value of the club overall.

I just saw the values, Levy’s asking 1 billion pounds for Tottenham?! http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...sortium-interested-tottenham-takeover-4617630 The only one interested are Qataris, of course. Now’s here’s a question, why would a prospective buyer buy Tottenham for 1 billion pounds, when they can buy a Newcastle, or an Aston Villa, or even a Hull, Leeds, or even Sheffield Wedensaday? (That’s what all the rage these days, take a Championship club, and take them to the Premier League). Southampton was only 200 million pounds, and they look like they could go place if invested in correctly.

I’d be very surprised if Levy gets the billion pounds. Tottenham are a great club, but surely no one’s going to pay twice the net worth just to own them. There are cheaper options out there that would kill to become part of England’s elite. At least with Man City and Chelsea, there was plenty of upside. There's a lot of good at Tottenham, but I wouldn't pay a billion pounds for them right now.

Boro's owner - Steve Gibson is a legend. Played a huge part in saving the club in 86. Moved the club to the Riverside in 94. Spent huge during the Robson years on players that no one would ever have dreamed would play for Boro (Ravanelli, Emerson, Juninho etc). Backed McLaren bringing Boro our first trophy and European football.

Doesn't have the financial clout of other owners these days but I'm confident if we go up he will spend enough to make us competitive

I just saw the values, Levy’s asking 1 billion pounds for Tottenham?! http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...sortium-interested-tottenham-takeover-4617630 The only one interested are Qataris, of course. Now’s here’s a question, why would a prospective buyer buy Tottenham for 1 billion pounds, when they can buy a Newcastle, or an Aston Villa, or even a Hull, Leeds, or even Sheffield Wedensaday? (That’s what all the rage these days, take a Championship club, and take them to the Premier League). Southampton was only 200 million pounds, and they look like they could go place if invested in correctly.

I’d be very surprised if Levy gets the billion pounds. Tottenham are a great club, but surely no one’s going to pay twice the net worth just to own them. There are cheaper options out there that would kill to become part of England’s elite. At least with Man City and Chelsea, there was plenty of upside. There's a lot of good at Tottenham, but I wouldn't pay a billion pounds for them right now.
London is the reason we will demand a higher price than the clubs you mention. If certain rumours are true the new stadium will be part of a stadium share with a London NFL team. No offence to the northern cities of the UK but London really is the epicentre of the country and most investment into the country goes through there.

Also it's twice the net worth currently, after 3 more years of prices going up and the stadium project being complete the club's worth be much higher than it is now. The seller of the football club isn't going to sell for what the net worth is, that would be bad business, they'll sell to the investor willing to match their valuation which will include a chunky profit for themselves.

Average price houses:

London: £560,000
Sheffield: £160,000
Birmingham: £135,000
Newcastle: £172,000

If you're buying a business in a city that is about 3x more expensive surely that effects the price you'd have to pay.

London also has three times the number of soft, shandy sipping cockney twats, thus reducing potential revenue from beer sales alone.

The value of City was 15% higher because Sheik Mansour realised that our supporters are all blatant pissheads (you had to be to support City) and would drink our own bodyweight in proper full strength northern beer before each game adding millions to the match takings.

London also has three times the number of soft, shandy sipping cockney twats, thus reducing potential revenue from beer sales alone.

The value of City was 15% higher because Sheik Mansour realised that our supporters are all blatant pissheads (you had to be to support City) and would drink our own bodyweight in proper full strength northern beer before each game adding millions to the match takings.

Most of them travel north to Trafford on the weekend don't they?

Gold! :thumbsu:

brb: just popping down to Craven Cottage to watch the Whites while sipping on a soy latte

London is the reason we will demand a higher price than the clubs you mention. If certain rumours are true the new stadium will be part of a stadium share with a London NFL team. No offence to the northern cities of the UK but London really is the epicentre of the country and most investment into the country goes through there.

Also it's twice the net worth currently, after 3 more years of prices going up and the stadium project being complete the club's worth be much higher than it is now. The seller of the football club isn't going to sell for what the net worth is, that would be bad business, they'll sell to the investor willing to match their valuation which will include a chunky profit for themselves.

That’s a very true fact, London is prime real estate (And around the richest boroughs of London too, you don’t get much better than that!), and that’s also another good point about the potential London NFL team for the American investor.

Obviously not for 500 mill, that's silly. 700-800 would be around a somewhat reasonable value I’d say. That’s also considering that perhaps in terms of performance, the club may have peaked if players are unsatisfied with current ambition levels and the best players are yearning for Champions League.

At this point in time, the club still has the right stuff, a new owner in right now can ensure the current players stay, while allowing to bring in some fresh faces that will take the club forward. But I still won’t for a billion, I mean, why would I when there’s nice little Crystal Palace in South London for just 100 million pounds? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...m-takeover-by-US-businessman-Josh-Harris.html You know, that club that is on track to finishing in the Top 10 and has a lot of good going for it as well? They want some extra coin to improve Selhurst Park, and hopefully make some serious noise in a few years time.

Tottenham already has everything in place, but if I was a billionaire that was willing to pump millions into a club, and I was given the option between a billion for Tottenham, and 100 mill for Palace right now, I would chose Palace, because while the riskier option, I feel there is more window in getting value if I took them to a title contending spot then I would for buying Tottenham for a billion for the same goal. Crystal Palace is also making decent profits, and are certainly in a much better place then they were five years ago.

800 would be considerable, a billion is just too much for Tottenham.

That’s a very true fact, London is prime real estate (And around the richest boroughs of London too, you don’t get much better than that!), and that’s also another good point about the potential London NFL team for the American investor.

Obviously not for 500 mill, that's silly. 700-800 would be around a somewhat reasonable value I’d say. That’s also considering that perhaps in terms of performance, the club may have peaked if players are unsatisfied with current ambition levels and the best players are yearning for Champions League.

At this point in time, the club still has the right stuff, a new owner in right now can ensure the current players stay, while allowing to bring in some fresh faces that will take the club forward. But I still won’t for a billion, I mean, why would I when there’s nice little Crystal Palace in South London for just 100 million pounds? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...m-takeover-by-US-businessman-Josh-Harris.html You know, that club that is on track to finishing in the Top 10 and has a lot of good going for it as well? They want some extra coin to improve Selhurst Park, and hopefully make some serious noise in a few years time.

Tottenham already has everything in place, but if I was a billionaire that was willing to pump millions into a club, and I was given the option between a billion for Tottenham, and 100 mill for Palace right now, I would chose Palace, because while the riskier option, I feel there is more window in getting value if I took them to a title contending spot then I would for buying Tottenham for a billion for the same goal. Crystal Palace is also making decent profits, and are certainly in a much better place then they were five years ago.

800 would be considerable, a billion is just too much for Tottenham.
Chelsea were bought for £140m 12 years ago with much lower TV rights back then (£500m a year compared to the new deals £1.7b a year) and with no stadium growth on the horizon. I agree £1b is a stretch but I can't see ENIC selling for any less than £800m. Not sure what City's price was about 7 or 8 years ago, it'd have to be close to double what was paid for that considering being prime real estate and the increase in club revenues since then.

Isn't the Palace US guy only buying a stake into the club and not the whole club? Pretty sure I've read that Parish & co still want to run the club but are looking for that level of investment to join them. £100m for a 1/4 share of Palace seems about right

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...st-a-stake-to-secure-the-future-10137174.html

Last edited:
Chelsea were bought for £140m 12 years ago with much lower TV rights back then (£500m a year compared to the new deals £1.7b a year) and with no stadium growth on the horizon. I agree £1b is a stretch but I can't see ENIC selling for any less than £800m. Not sure what City's price was about 7 or 8 years ago, it'd have to be close to double what was paid for that considering being prime real estate and the increase in club revenues since then.

Isn't the Palace US guy only buying a stake into the club and not the whole club? Pretty sure I've read that Parish & co still want to run the club but are looking for that level of investment to join them. £100m for a 1/4 share of Palace seems about right

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...st-a-stake-to-secure-the-future-10137174.html

£800m I would say would be the best agreed price considering how things stand. As for City, the amount was £200m http://topnews.in/sports/new-city-owners-flex-muscles-berbatov-bid-24352 . The club's value was a little under that: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/34/biz_soccer08_Soccer-Team-Valuations_Rank.html . Shinawarta (The previous owner) bought the club for £81m.

True, it's for a stake at Palace (I'm not entirely sure how big the stake is, while it says Parish's stake is a quarter, I'm pretty sure all of the other stakeholders are contributing a share for the guy), but the money bought it will give him a lot more control and power. He'll probably end up with a majority in a similar way to Roman if things go well (Parish said he wants to be involved, but not necessary as the chairman). Either way, that's a foot in a door right there, and with that sort of funding, it goes a long way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

£800m I would say would be the best agreed price considering how things stand. As for City, the amount was £200m http://topnews.in/sports/new-city-owners-flex-muscles-berbatov-bid-24352 . The club's value was a little under that: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/34/biz_soccer08_Soccer-Team-Valuations_Rank.html . Shinawarta (The previous owner) bought the club for £81m.

True, it's for a stake at Palace (I'm not entirely sure how big the stake is, while it says Parish's stake is a quarter, I'm pretty sure all of the other stakeholders are contributing a share for the guy), but the money bought it will give him a lot more control and power. He'll probably end up with a majority in a similar way to Roman if things go well (Parish said he wants to be involved, but not necessary as the chairman). Either way, that's a foot in a door right there, and with that sort of funding, it goes a long way.
From all reports Parish and co. aren't looking to give up controlling the club at all. They just need financial investment to push on with a few projects because they can't afford it how it is right now. I'd say once the new stadium is built by us the £800m shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get. Would imagine the stadium naming rights will be sold off (despite the new stadium being built even closer to White Hart Lane itself) so the earning potential for the club will be significantly greater than what it is now. Until then we will just plod around 4th-7th and continuing selling the likes of Bale, Modric, Lloris & eventually Eriksen once one of the big 4-6 teams in the world come in for them

Now I had been meaning to ask this. As one of the few fan owned clubs, I don''t suppose you mind telling us a bit more about the club as one of the many owners of the club?

I know that it's 12 pounds for membership, which gives you one share and right to vote with, and no matter how much one contributes, everyone's vote is equal.

How often do fan votes go out (is it just for big decisions, or for minor matters as well? You also have a board, so I assume that they act on behalf of the fans) and what was the last decision you were involved in? (I presume that it's online in order to help international fans).

It would be quite enlightening to hear from someone that actually is from a fan-owned club to give their experiences with the notion.
I've personally only voted on one thing.
Our 2012-14 away jersey :p
I was meaning to vote on our stadium name but completely forgot and tried to send it in 1-2 days late, not accepted......but I got what I want anyway, so not complaining.

I'm not sure on how it works honestly.
I know board members get feedback from fans about stuff, just don't know if it's while they're in attendance or outside of meetings.
For example, we have a 'pay what you can afford' policy for season tickets. They do set a minimum (20 pound or something for kids, 100 pounds for adults) but they let people spend whatever they want. For example, in the 2013-14 season I bought 5 (or was it 10?) kids season tickets and donated them to a Manchester school. I paid 23 pounds each (I rationalised it as 1 pound per game). In the last offseason the board discussed setting a price but stuck with 'pay as you can afford' due to feedback from the fans. So there is a repour* with us.

But yeah, as I live afar I don't pay attention to the day to day runnings. I do follow the major stuff the club is involved with but I'm not bothering with the small stuff. Just too hard. If I lived in or around Manchester, things would be considerably different.

Without wishing to sound resentful, we'd comfortably be a top 4 club for the last 6 seasons if it wasn't for billionaire owners spending money like it doesn't exist.

Anyway, the turning point for Levy was actually when Capello resigned from the England job. Redknapp got distracted, we blew a 10pt lead over Woolwich, and to top it all off a pretty mediocre Chlesea side won the CL thus depriving us of CL football as we were the 4th placed team that year. Then Harry blamed Levy for not backing his January targets and that was the end of him. Then we lost Modric and then Bale the following season (this time blowing another decent lead over Arsenal). To be honest we are still in recovery mode from all this. You have to say Levy has done well, but with only a little more faith in opening his cheque book (especially during January windows when we've needed reinforcing) he vould have cemented us in the top4

It's not usually dull supporting Spurs though.

Boro's owner - Steve Gibson is a legend. Played a huge part in saving the club in 86. Moved the club to the Riverside in 94. Spent huge during the Robson years on players that no one would ever have dreamed would play for Boro (Ravanelli, Emerson, Juninho etc). Backed McLaren bringing Boro our first trophy and European football.

Doesn't have the financial clout of other owners these days but I'm confident if we go up he will spend enough to make us competitive

Best owner in the north east. :thumbsu:

He backed the appointment of Karanka back in 2013(?) - think I recall he is your first foreign coach at the club? Seems to be paying dividends at the moment.

Always have a chuckle when I recall this as well.
5468131120_c6ce66f1ed_o.jpg

From all reports Parish and co. aren't looking to give up controlling the club at all. They just need financial investment to push on with a few projects because they can't afford it how it is right now. I'd say once the new stadium is built by us the £800m shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get. Would imagine the stadium naming rights will be sold off (despite the new stadium being built even closer to White Hart Lane itself) so the earning potential for the club will be significantly greater than what it is now. Until then we will just plod around 4th-7th and continuing selling the likes of Bale, Modric, Lloris & eventually Eriksen once one of the big 4-6 teams in the world come in for them

Well he did note it depends on the situation. Parish and co. only want what’s best for the club. Let’s not forget they basically resurrected the club after it looked like it was out for the count. If they feel that Davies can take the club to bigger and better things while respecting the club's traditions, so be it. But of course, the trust has to be earned. A new owner must get a good feel of the roots of what makes the club and respect them.

But yeah, as long as you can manage to keep your players and consistently finish up there, and maybe win the critical matches, then I’d say you’ll reach your goal and hopefully get the owners that will take you to that next step. I do wish you luck in that.

The dildo boys are pretty good owners, I would agree with that. Karen Brady probably the genius behind them though.

Baroness Brady, the First Lady of Football. I can agree with that one, definitely a classy lady. Been in football for 23 years, not bad.

I've personally only voted on one thing.
Our 2012-14 away jersey :p
I was meaning to vote on our stadium name but completely forgot and tried to send it in 1-2 days late, not accepted......but I got what I want anyway, so not complaining.

I'm not sure on how it works honestly.
I know board members get feedback from fans about stuff, just don't know if it's while they're in attendance or outside of meetings.
For example, we have a 'pay what you can afford' policy for season tickets. They do set a minimum (20 pound or something for kids, 100 pounds for adults) but they let people spend whatever they want. For example, in the 2013-14 season I bought 5 (or was it 10?) kids season tickets and donated them to a Manchester school. I paid 23 pounds each (I rationalised it as 1 pound per game). In the last offseason the board discussed setting a price but stuck with 'pay as you can afford' due to feedback from the fans. So there is a repour* with us.

But yeah, as I live afar I don't pay attention to the day to day runnings. I do follow the major stuff the club is involved with but I'm not bothering with the small stuff. Just too hard. If I lived in or around Manchester, things would be considerably different.

Heh, just the away shirt? Fair enough. Interesting policy the ‘pay what you can afford,’ it does encourage fans to spend that little extra in order to help the club. Perhaps also a good way to engage the expectation and rating what sort of football the club plays.

Nah, that’s fair enough, just be involved in the major decisions as a foreign fan. You have your vote when it really counts.
Best owner in the north east. :thumbsu:

He backed the appointment of Karanka back in 2013(?) - think I recall he is your first foreign coach at the club? Seems to be paying dividends at the moment.

Always have a chuckle when I recall this as well.
5468131120_c6ce66f1ed_o.jpg

Heh, I remember that letter, that’s from a guy that tried to use his Football Manager experience (I do actually wonder how many potential ‘managers’ use their FM experience to apply for these positions. I know FM’s database is used for scouting) Gibson’s a legend for that (well, also with what he has done for Boro as well, mainly that, but this is gold.)

Do I suspect some likeability NUFC Tiger? A Tyne-Tees derby more appealing than a Tyne-Wear derby?

Heh, I remember that letter, that’s from a guy that tried to use his Football Manager experience (I do actually wonder how many potential ‘managers’ use their FM experience to apply for these positions. I know FM’s database is used for scouting) Gibson’s a legend for that (well, also with what he has done for Boro as well, mainly that, but this is gold.)

Do I suspect some likeability NUFC Tiger? A Tyne-Tees derby more appealing than a Tyne-Wear derby?

Not sure if you know about this guy Fryer but I believe he was the first person to get a professional job...based from his football manager knowledge and expertise! Pretty remarkable - article mentioned he is (was at the time) the youngest manager in the world too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Manager-Vugar-Huseynzade-got-FC-Baku-job.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Manager-Vugar-Huseynzade-got-FC-Baku-job.html
Haha, always had a soft spot for Boro (certainly the 'Smoggies' more likable than the Mackems in my book) mainly due to their Aussie links (Viduka & Schwarzer during their PL days plus others over such as Jones, Williams, Wilkshire, Okon, Vidmar and Johnston I think as well?).

Would love to see them come up - especially sweeter if the Mackems go down too. We might have a chance of actually winning a derby again. :D

Boro's always been a team I've had a soft spot for, got a few mates in the UK who support em pretty heavily, and I'd enjoy seeing em back in the Premier League, and I think it'd be good for the North-East Region to have a 3rd team back in the PL obviously.

Karanka has been a very good hire for them, Gibson had to take that sort of risk after Mowbray didn't really deliver.

Their academy has always been pretty good as well.

Not sure if you know about this guy Fryer but I believe he was the first person to get a professional job...based from his football manager knowledge and expertise! Pretty remarkable - article mentioned he is (was at the time) the youngest manager in the world too.

Haha, always had a soft spot for Boro (certainly the 'Smoggies' more likable than the Mackems in my book) mainly due to their Aussie links (Viduka & Schwarzer during their PL days plus others over such as Jones, Williams, Wilkshire, Okon, Vidmar and Johnston I think as well?).

Would love to see them come up - especially sweeter if the Mackems go down too. We might have a chance of actually winning a derby again. :D

Yep, I heard about that guy. Got the job as the reserve team manager. Though I haven’t heard anything more about him since. I do wonder how much time he actually spent in Azerbaijan leagues (It is possible if you added the edit data to the database that allows you to play in the Azerbaijan league). I also do like how even FM acknowledges those fans that decide to apply with FM resumes.

That’s right, a lot of Aussies have plied their trade in Smoggie land. They’re an alright bunch, would be great to see them again. My old school PL has Middlesborugh there (then again, it also has Leeds as well). Pearson would be quite pleased as well (Fun fact: Pearson actually played with Schwartzer, and as you can expect, Schwartzer is Pearson’s goalkeeper in his personal XI.)

Steve Gibson, been there since 1986 (took over in 1994), and still at the helm to this day, winning the League Cup during that time. A fantastic story. Of course, Middlesborough did dip into the third tier, the recovery had been amazing. They were the first club to have club TV and match replays… for a while anyway. Of course, things haven’t been too rosy, midtable at best since they've come down, but they have turned things around this season. They have a lot of good going for them.

Of course, first things first, they need to get ahead of one of Bournemouth or Watford (Please let them take over Watford). Brighton and Fulham still to play. It's 6 points or bust.

Boro's always been a team I've had a soft spot for, got a few mates in the UK who support em pretty heavily, and I'd enjoy seeing em back in the Premier League, and I think it'd be good for the North-East Region to have a 3rd team back in the PL obviously.

Karanka has been a very good hire for them, Gibson had to take that sort of risk after Mowbray didn't really deliver.

Their academy has always been pretty good as well.

Would definitely be good for the whole North East region to see Boro come up - of all 3 of the major clubs, they are probably the only one who look like they are at least moving in a positive direction.

Have to agree on their academy as well, would still rate it as the best of the NE clubs.

Plus they can boast having been the most recent winner's of any significant silverware (League Cup).

Yep, I heard about that guy. Got the job as the reserve team manager. Though I haven’t heard anything more about him since. I do wonder how much time he actually spent in Azerbaijan leagues (It is possible if you added the edit data to the database that allows you to play in the Azerbaijan league). I also do like how even FM acknowledges those fans that decide to apply with FM resumes.

That’s right, a lot of Aussies have plied their trade in Smoggie land. They’re an alright bunch, would be great to see them again. My old school PL has Middlesborugh there (then again, it also has Leeds as well). Pearson would be quite pleased as well (Fun fact: Pearson actually played with Schwartzer, and as you can expect, Schwartzer is Pearson’s goalkeeper in his personal XI.)

Steve Gibson, been there since 1986 (took over in 1994), and still at the helm to this day, winning the League Cup during that time. A fantastic story. Of course, Middlesborough did dip into the third tier, the recovery had been amazing. They were the first club to have club TV and match replays… for a while anyway. Of course, things haven’t been too rosy, midtable at best since they've come down, but they have turned things around this season. They have a lot of good going for them.

Of course, first things first, they need to get ahead of one of Bournemouth or Watford (Please let them take over Watford). Brighton and Fulham still to play. It's 6 points or bust.

I was actually curious about him - tried googling him briefly but couldn't find anything recent (granted the Azerbaijan leagues aren't probably the most well covered!). Will be interesting to see how he went - seems like he was given the opportunity (in part) due to his enthusiasm and passion - so surely the owner would have been patient with him knowing he would be 'learning on the job'.

I think my ideal 3 to come up would be Bournemouth, Boro and probably Norwich (though don't mind Watford either). Fascinating run in!

Karen Brady had some interesting thoughts on Mike Ashley.

“How different from Mike Ashley, who appears to be going through the motions like a marriage with Newcastle that both bores and irritates him.

“Owning a club is a business but, more than that, it is a responsibility to the community, fans and the game itself. Only Ashley knows how many of those tests he thinks he passes.”

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015...ake-on-mike-ashleys-relationship-with/page/1/

Protests around the city today at local Sports Direct stores.
11182664_1099057320110206_5116197940217014098_o.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Owners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back