Autopsy Paddy and Ray v Hawks in Hodges 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

Was very interesting watching this game, finally, last night. Especially after all the Danger, Razor, Smith, media hype, combined with another close finish. Was not sure what to expect.

Poor finishing hurt both sides. Geelong were a little more polished with their forward entries than us. Also they had a very good marking target to kick to in Danger.

Breust has lost his mojo.

Rough was great. It was nice to see him get physical and not play 'nice' for an entire game. He plays his best footy on ball imo.

Hodges high tackle on Selwood, late in the last was poor (celebration game or otherwise) and was just as costly as Isaac's late miss. Feel for Isaac it appeared nothing more than a spur of the moment decision to play on. There were more shocking misses for us than his one but due to it being the last kick of the game it cops the heat.

As for the umpiring. There were a couple of howlers but at least the Fox telecast/replay gives you a second look. I thought they did a reasonable job. This game (like all games v the cats) was 1 degree off rapid boil for the duration which influenced some decisions, no doubt.

Last edited:
(Question for the game plan experts): Was it just me, or do Geelong give away professional frees across the centre of the ground and across their defensive half forward line when a team gets on the fast break or are transitioning into attack?

A couple of times when we were on the fast break and a mark was taken across the centre/half forward area of the ground the defender attention to the marker was overt (even overtly clumsy) to say the least but deemed legal.

Obviously this extra attention;

a) breaks the concentration of the marking player (pain/discomfort/annoyance);
b) can result in bringing the Hawthorn marker to ground (delay); or
c) holds the the marker up from playing on quickly.

What follows is prevention of 'joe the goose' over the top goals and it also allows Geelong players to flood back. The short delay following this tactic also forces the marking player to take a set kick rather than quickly play on. This enables the Cats to set up in defence forcing a kick to a contest (which Geelong love).

Is this unique to the Cats?

Last edited:
I know we live in a time where mental health and awareness is at an all time high, and it is bloody great that people feel it's ok to talk. But on the flipside I just don't get how people can be so effected by words written by people they've never met (this isn't pointed at izzy at all). How do these people go when they get told they're no good in a face to face situation from someone they respect?

I remember getting the flick after my 3rd game of under 18s, my coach at the time (legendary name) said id never pull the jumper on again. I reckon that instilled a fair bit of steel, being told you're no good, you're shit, you shouldn't be playing for our club should drive you to play at an even more elite level.

I'm pretty short sighted maybe, but I was raised by a single tough women, and I think most of the women are mentally stronger than men. You brush off the bullshit and you jog on, I think that's what Izzy does anyway and maybe he can pass on some advice to others that struggle with mental illness.
not everyone can just brush it off though
and while you can't see how it can happen, being someone that does just brush it off, there have been enough well publicized cases by now I would have thought of people not coping with online bullying, trolls etc for people to understand that not everyone works the way they do with this sort of thing.

(Question for the game plan experts): Was it just me, or do Geelong give away professional frees across the centre of the ground and across their defensive half forward line when a team gets on the fast break or are transitioning into attack?

A couple of times when we were on the fast break and a mark was taken across the centre/half forward area of the ground the defender attention to the marker was overt (even overtly clumsy) to say the least but deemed legal.

Obviously this extra attention;

a) breaks the concentration of the marking player (pain/discomfort/annoyance);
b) can result in bringing the Hawthorn marker to ground (delay); or
c) holds the the marker up from playing on quickly.

What follows is prevention of 'joe the goose' over the top goals and it also allows Geelong players to flood back. The short delay following this tactic also forces the marking player to take a set kick rather than quickly play on. This enables the Cats to set up in defence forcing a kick to a contest (which Geelong love).

Is this unique to the Cats?

This, and geelongs set up at kick ins

Ie: trailing in the marking target and effectively blocking

Two tactics we would do well to learn from/implement

[I have no skin in this game, so don't feel any obligation to take it on board ~ B&GBlood]

not everyone can just brush it off though
and while you can't see how it can happen, being someone that does just brush it off, there have been enough well publicized cases by now I would have thought of people not coping with online bullying, trolls etc for people to understand that not everyone works the way they do with this sort of thing.

Yup, legitimately there are issues in society with mental health and I think it's great that there is a platform for people to express how they feel now. I do think that our society has become mentally fragile and soft over the years, I have no doubt the prevelance of drugs and alcohol contribute a fair whack to it.

Anyway, from what I can gather Izzy has brushed it off as he should. He has a fair backbone for someone pretty laid back, good on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Paddy and Ray v Hawks in Hodges 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back