Paid Players In Local Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to accuse clubs of salary cap rorting and spending beyond their means but....The salary cap up here is around $55,000 plus a coach or one top player. I'm told that Wentworth were around the $106,000 mark last year. (Fairly reliable sources but unsubstantiated)

Rumours are that Rod Simms (who was with Wentworth last year and moved to Irymple this year) was on huge money and, omongst others may not have been fully paid.

Money has really dried up around here over the last two or three years and some clubs are really struggling to fulfil contracts.

Red Cliffs myself. Finished minor premiers in the seniors, seconds and under 18's. U18's finished with a percentage over 600 which I would think is a pretty rare achievement.

Nah. Just seem to keep throwing them money. We had a player reported two weeks ago and given four games so will probably miss the GF if wee make it.. We appealed to the VCFL and the supporters put up the 5 grand for the appeal.

The result, 5 grand down the drain. Problem is they send the hat around after everyone's had a few and noones quite thinking properly.

Originally posted by Spogs
Don't want to accuse clubs of salary cap rorting and spending beyond their means but....The salary cap up here is around $55,000 plus a coach or one top player. I'm told that Wentworth were around the $106,000 mark last year. (Fairly reliable sources but unsubstantiated)

Rumours are that Rod Simms (who was with Wentworth last year and moved to Irymple this year) was on huge money and, omongst others may not have been fully paid.

Money has really dried up around here over the last two or three years and some clubs are really struggling to fulfil contracts.

That why local clubs should not pay there players.
1. The clubs cant afford it
2. The players are not good enough and dont deserve to be paid

Clubs are definately going to have to stop paying some of the big dollars to selected players and generally I think there is a trend that way. Most clubs would have either 1 player on around the 25k+ mark (normally a playing coach) or a couple in the high teens.

It does seem a bit unfair when some of the locally developed kids who are playing because they love the club are getting maybe $50 per game or less when some other big shot fly-in is offerred big money, stays for a couple years then nicks off to some other club who offers him a bit more.

Originally posted by My North

My North, the Sunraysia FL is a major league in the VCFL. If they took your advice they'd lose that status in a heartbeat. Mildura has always been a strong enough area to hold a major league.

At the moment, I'll bet the drought is causing money problems up there. The industry that region relies on has been affected badly, and that might be part of the problem that is being referred to.

SFL clubs should pay their players. It's the Millewa FL that shouldn't - and I would assume don't! (That's Nangiloc-Colignan BTW, Kev! *smart alec grin*)

Originally posted by timelord
(That's Nangiloc-Colignan BTW, Kev! *smart alec grin*)

I was actually just referring to the palindromality of the town names. :)

I've always just called the team Nangiloc, didn't know that Colignan was included in its name???

It was formed as a representative team from Nangiloc, Colignan AND Iraak, actually, according to their webpage! (There's stone cold NUFFIN' at Iraak).

(Nangiloc was an old hunting ground for my Dad's fishing trips so I know the area well, was back there two years ago, one of the best pubs around. We walked 6km from our camp on Buxton's Bend to the Bg Cod Bar, two nights in a row!)

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
I was actually just referring to the palindromality of the town names. :)

I've always just called the team Nangiloc, didn't know that Colignan was included in its name???

It's not - I was just using your quote deliberately just to be a smart alec! ;)

photo2.JPG

:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by My North

Mate you are a little wrong here on both counts.

The fact is this, country clubs often have alot of people normaly the town and businesses around the area pumping money into the club there for most clubs can afford to pay players.
Its the clubs who dont have the money to bye named players that go bust.
Its up to adminastration of the club to make the people who are poaching players fully aware of how much money is available.

On the second point, there some great players running around locally.
Hundreads of guys who have played AFL football and have played VFL football go to country clubs and earn a good quid.
There is little truth in what you say as most blokes who are on some descent money rightfully deserve it.
I know that there would be no way known that i my self personaly could go back to my old local club if i didnt get the same or more money than the country club i sometimes play for give me now.
And i know others are thinking the same.
Good mates of mine at 18 19 20 are chasing the coin now because they are well aware of the finacial benefits football can offer.

cheers

My local club didn't offer much dosh at all to any players until the mid-eighties, when they started paying the C, VC and coach.

Money has no place in footy at all but its here and we have no choice.

Money kills clubs. They spend up big to hire a premiership team (eg: Moonambel FC) and then the players leave, they have little money and no players at all.

On the other hand, money is by no means what is most prevalent at killing clubs. Its just numbers. Marnoo FC wound up (in recess indefinite) at start 2000, no players, rich as hell. They still are rich. Rupanyup FC are offering every newly wed bride to Marnoo FC for first root in the hope that they can merge their players with Marnoo's money.

And yes, there are great players running around in the bush.

Luckily the Sunraysia football league does pretty well player wise right down to junior level, particularly the non-Mildura clubs.

MyNorth, you need to remember that the SFL have developed players like Tarrant, Alvey, Knights, Weightman, Bowen, amongst others. Players like that need good coaching and to be playing against good opposition if they're going to make the AFL grade. Unfortunately, all that costs money.

I could go on and have a gripe about how Sunraysia clubs no longer get a cent if one of our local players go on to AFL level, and I will. Our best juniors have to go down to Bendigo to play U18's if they want any chance of getting drafted. If they play 1 game for the Pioneers and then get drafted to the AFL, the Pioneers get the transfer fee. After our club has brought the kid up through the U11's up to U18's and gets nothing.

I think that's ne of the reasons no-one in the country gave a toss about the 'Grass Roots' weekend recently. It's all just **** talk.

P.S. Mobbs, the Big Cod's still there. I have lunch there every couple of weeks.

Originally posted by tige19

The fact is this, country clubs often have alot of people normaly the town and businesses around the area pumping money into the club there for most clubs can afford to pay players.
Its up to adminastration of the club to make the people who are poaching players fully aware of how much money is available.

Tige, in a lot of the smaller towns the money and business just isn't there any more! The drought - and those social thugs in Canberra letting the capital cities drag in the kids from the bush to find work - and wreck those towns in the process!!

It doesn't matter knowing about how much money is available. Just ask the KDFL. There are clubs that are throwing money around - against others who just don't have the ability!

The problem is more complex than you think - and I can't wait for public submissions are called for by the state government enquiry - because I'm going to contribute and the AFL and Canberra are going to get torn to shreds for their part in this mess!!

Hundreads of guys who have played AFL football and have played VFL football go to country clubs and earn a good quid.
There is little truth in what you say as most blokes who are on some descent money rightfully deserve it.
I know that there would be no way known that i my self personaly could go back to my old local club if i didnt get the same or more money than the country club i sometimes play for give me now.
Good mates of mine at 18 19 20 are chasing the coin now because they are well aware of the finacial benefits football can offer.

And that last remark is the very reason why the game is in trouble at the local level. The ONLY level that should pose a financial benefit is the AFL - and maybe state level. It's why I've always supported super for AFL players. AFL players of any note are not going back to the grass roots anywhere near as much as they used to - for this reason. Money. It's not there anymore - and clubs that do lump all their money in one player usually get a dud and almost fall over as a result.

Chasing money at the local level at 18, 19 and 20 has got to stop - because they haven't got the points on the board. And the game at that level can't afford it.

Money in the minor leagues is a fact of life these days, I have plenty of mates playing first division EFL earning $50-$100 per game, and they aren't even top 5 players at their clubs.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
My local club didn't offer much dosh at all to any players until the mid-eighties, when they started paying the C, VC and coach.

Money has no place in footy at all but its here and we have no choice.

Money kills clubs. They spend up big to hire a premiership team (eg: Moonambel FC) and then the players leave, they have little money and no players at all.

On the other hand, money is by no means what is most prevalent at killing clubs. Its just numbers. Marnoo FC wound up (in recess indefinite) at start 2000, no players, rich as hell. They still are rich. Rupanyup FC are offering every newly wed bride to Marnoo FC for first root in the hope that they can merge their players with Marnoo's money.

And yes, there are great players running around in the bush.

Because I live in country Queensland, we have to pay to play ($110, reduced to $85 on fundraising). However, our coach believes that one day players will be paid to play. After all, last year our club had debts of thousands of dollars but coming to this year's AGM, we believe that we will be at least a $1000 in the black, a far cry considering we had over $20000 in the bank 8 years ago.

Originally posted by Squeak
Money in the minor leagues is a fact of life these days, I have plenty of mates playing first division EFL earning $50-$100 per game, and they aren't even top 5 players at their clubs.

Mate if players were getting 50-100 bucks a game everywere then there wouldnt be a problem at all.
I know the minimum at Sunbury for a senior game is 80 bucks and same at Gisborne.
I know Minimum VFL pay at Coburg is 75 bucks a 2s game and can go up to 100, A senior game is Different and players get to discuss that in there contracts, i can only speak about that on a personal level.

Sqeak im not sure if your fully aware of just how much money is been thrown around the bush clubs (not having a crack at you).
But i know of many blokes at Coburg Tigers who are only 18-21 who have been offered 200 to 300 a game to just come up on the byes in the VFL.
When the money is like that at 18 19 then that could be a problem, imagine what the kids are gonna be asking for come 24 25, this is were Timelord has the problem.
But once again Timelord i say it, it is up to the clubs administration to make the people who are buying the players to be fully aware if how much money they have.
Money is always gonna be thrown around especially in the bush so everyone is going to have to deal with it.

cheers

cheers

only my opinion which is neither right nor wrong.

Mate if players were getting 50-100 bucks a game everywere then there wouldnt be a problem at all.
Oh WHAT????

That will NEVER happen, because if it became compulsory half of the clubs at the grass roots level would fall over in micro bloody seconds!! And the game would be TOTALLY wrecked!

When the money is like that at 18 19 then that could be a problem, imagine what the kids are gonna be asking for come 24 25, this is were Timelord has the problem.
But once again Timelord i say it, it is up to the clubs administration to make the people who are buying the players to be fully aware if how much money they have.
Money is always gonna be thrown around especially in the bush so everyone is going to have to deal with it.
If I have anything to do with it - it's going to stop! Certainly in the district leagues!

You say it's up to the clubs admin to let prospective players know where the money is. Great way to make it harder for clubs who are doing it tough!

Money being thrown around is wrecking the game - as I said before. The community spirit is being lost, sold for a price that could never cover the real cost. Community spirit is priceless - and it's being treated with contempt.

It's no wonder the game is in trouble.

Originally posted by timelord
Oh WHAT????

That will NEVER happen, because if it became compulsory half of the clubs at the grass roots level would fall over in micro bloody seconds!! And the game would be TOTALLY wrecked!

If I have anything to do with it - it's going to stop! Certainly in the district leagues!

You say it's up to the clubs admin to let prospective players know where the money is. Great way to make it harder for clubs who are doing it tough!

Money being thrown around is wrecking the game - as I said before. The community spirit is being lost, sold for a price that could never cover the real cost. Community spirit is priceless - and it's being treated with contempt.

It's no wonder the game is in trouble.

I never said that 50-100 bucks a game should be compulsorynot once, i said if thats all blokes would be getting then there wouldnt be a problem.
I have no doubt many blokes just play footy and clubs dont pay them, that is great.
Phil nothing you do is gonna stop money been thrown around the leagues, even if there was a ban there would still be money under the table no doubt about it.
The better players in the Leagues and for there clubs should be paid and will always be paid weather you like that or not.
Do you think all these AFL and VFL players go back to Country or Suburban footy for the love of it?? ill give you a tip they dont and if they werent getting offered around the 20k a year mark they deffiently wouldnt be wasting there time.
Money is always gonna cause trouble but the way it is handled can be better.
Its plain and simple if a club has money to spend its there choice to do so or not, if a club has no money then they cant spend.
End of it.

Do you think all these AFL and VFL players go back to Country or Suburban footy for the love of it?? ill give you a tip they dont and if they werent getting offered around the 20k a year mark they deffiently wouldnt be wasting there time.
Does this mean the suburban and country clubs are paying them more than the VFL clubs? Where are they getting this money from?

Originally posted by MightyFighting
Does this mean the suburban and country clubs are paying them more than the VFL clubs? Where are they getting this money from?

Nothing new in that, in the 1940s etc players left the VFL to go to the country leagues for money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Paid Players In Local Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back