Paid Players In Local Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by timelord
I did NOT say that the league would struggle to attract AFL/VFL players. They'll get them - but not as many as you think they will. The reason the number of AFL/VFL players has been increasing is because suburban clubs have started to thrown money around. This affects the balance of the competition - and that is a BAD thing. Tullamarine won't last more than a year in A Grade, unless they play the same game. Greenvale did. Keilor Park haven't, but then they've benefitted from the collapse (yahoo!) to B Grade of Airport West. It's the same clubs up the top - Keilor, Oak Park, Doutta and Aberfeldie.

And the EDFL is not the only league with that problem. There's a yawning chasm between Division 1 and Division 2 Diamond Valley, to the point that Mernda have gone on the record and said that if they should win a Division 2 premiership, they'll go to court to not get promoted because they know it will destroy them! Eastern has the same problem as the EDFL, the same clubs - Vermont and East Burwood, with East Ringwood bobbing up every now and then as do Mitcham. Noble Park has provided some fresh air but that was inevitable because they have the finance to compete.

same think is happening in the VAFA, clubs are going up and down divisons every year. Some clubs just keep going down divisions with others keep going up divisions. Probably something do with payments of players, The VAFA and its clubs say that they dont pay there players, but I cant believe this. The top VAFA clubs must pay there players under the table.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer

2003 :
Foldings : Kensington Hill (-1)
Net for year : -1
Progressive : -19

Summary :
1989 : Net for year : -1 Progressive : -1
1990 : Net for year : -1 Progressive : -1
1991 : Net for year : 0 Progressive : -1
1992 : Net for year : -2 Progressive : -3
1993 : Net for year : -4 Progressive : -7
1994 : Net for year : -5 Progressive : -12
1995 : Net for year : +1 Progressive : -11
1996 : Net for year : -7 Progressive : -18
1997 : Net for year : 0 Progressive : -18
1999 : Net for year : 0 Progressive : -18
2000 : Net for year : +1 Progressive : -17
2001 : Net for year : -1 Progressive : -18
2002 : Net for year : 0 Progressive : -18
2003 : Net for year : -1 Progressive : -19

So the best we can say is that the more recent attrition rates are less severe than those of the mid-90s.

Another Club to fold in 2003 is Kealba. Well they said there have gone in recess for a year and will come back in 2004, but I doubt that will happen has most of there players have gone to other clubs.

Originally posted by My North
same think is happening in the VAFA, clubs are going up and down divisons every year. Some clubs just keep going down divisions with others keep going up divisions. Probably something do with payments of players, The VAFA and its clubs say that they dont pay there players, but I cant believe this. The top VAFA clubs must pay there players under the table.

I agree on the second point - there must be something fishy going on. But I don't think there's a balance problem - and the main reason for that is the two up two down principle (no one else has that in Melbourne). Teams slipping multiple divisions are in fact indicating that the grades are CLOSER. Ditto teams climbing multiple divisions.

More info re the decline of clubs over the years, quoting Moorabbin Kangaroos website history page re ESCFA, SESFL and SFL :

When we joined the “Churches” as it was called, there were a total of 54 Clubs (5 divisions). By the end of 1991 we were down to somewhere in the 30’s when the previously known South East Suburban Football League, who had 18 Clubs left, changed its name to the Southern Football League and commenced merger talks with the Churches in a salvage bid for both bodies. After lengthy League meetings of all Clubs a merger was finalised and season 1993 saw the bodies combined under the Southern Football League, bringing the total number of Clubs to around 50. (Season 2002 and the League is down to 28 Clubs.)

http://www.mkfc.org.au/

Remove this Banner Ad

Paid Players In Local Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back