Summer Paris 2024 - Basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Its pretty much exactly what I was expecting, even with the other warm ups and Spain game factored in.

Canada have a great roster, we're capable of it but would have taken something pretty special to beat them.

We were doing the special thing first half. Our shots were dropping and we were generating stops.

First half of 3rd and 4th quarters were nightmare fuel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, he got the golden ticket...must be Australian :thumbsu:
He qualified for citizenship at that point in time, like tens of thousands of other people.

Nobody knew he was going to end up an NBA player over a decade later and no special exemptions were created for him.

Make sure to read the entire conversation for context. If people are going to question the authenticity of players from other countries then we must first look in our backyard. A player that hadn't been to our country since he was 9 years old has played for Australia, bit of pot calling the kettle black don't you think?

You're comparing it to people playing for nations they've barely even visited, let alone lived in for the better part of a decade.

Lorenzo Brown for example. They said on the coverage that Spain went out and got him because they needed a PG. That's not how the olympics should operate. From what I understand he has NEVER lived in Spain and doesnt even play for a Spanish team in the European league.

You're comparing it to people playing for nations they've barely even visited, let alone lived in for the better part of a decade.

Lorenzo Brown for example. They said on the coverage that Spain went out and got him because they needed a PG. That's not how the olympics should operate. From what I understand he has NEVER lived in Spain and doesnt even play for a Spanish team in the European league.
That's the way I understand it too. I believe Matisse's situation while not the same is just as bad. A couple moves to Australia with a small child (2 years old) from the USA, then leaves Australia to return to USA when said child is 9 years old. He never visits Australia after the age of 9 years old and is developed in the USA. At 25 years old his Australian NBA Coach learns that he once lived in Australia and gets him onto the Australian team. This is not Australian, this is manipulation of the rules set out by the Olympic committee and wrong on every level but we accept it as it makes our team better.

That's the way I understand it too. I believe Matisse's situation while not the same is just as bad. A couple moves to Australia with a small child (2 years old) from the USA, then leaves Australia to return to USA when said child is 9 years old. He never visits Australia after the age of 9 years old and is developed in the USA. At 25 years old his Australian NBA Coach learns that he once lived in Australia and gets him onto the Australian team. This is not Australian, this is manipulation of the rules set out by the Olympic committee and wrong on every level but we accept it as it makes our team better.
I'm all for "US" basketballers being able to qualify for other countries. It's a good thing to spread the talent and lift those countries up.

However, there has to be some rules around it. A Thybulle situation i can live with. The Brown one, i don't know enough about, but if he's never lived there, or doesn't have a parent/grand parent connection, i'm not sure i can suppor that.

I'm all for "US" basketballers being able to qualify for other countries. It's a good thing to spread the talent and lift those countries up.

However, there has to be some rules around it. A Thybulle situation i can live with. The Brown one, i don't know enough about, but if he's never lived there, or doesn't have a parent/grand parent connection, i'm not sure i can suppor that.
He had only ever been to Spain to play away games for his pro-team.

When Rubio became unavailable and no quality Spanish back up PG’s, they undertook an exercise to find one. He was identified as the national coach coached him at Toronto.

Then his citizenship was rushed through under exceptional circumstances, as it was of benefit to the national basketball team.

It’s horseshit.

He had only ever been to Spain to play away games for his pro-team.

When Rubio became unavailable and no quality Spanish back up PG’s, they undertook an exercise to find one. He was identified as the national coach coached him at Toronto.

Then his citizenship was rushed through under exceptional circumstances, as it was of benefit to the national basketball team.

It’s horseshit.

Remember the Spanish mens disabled basketball team won a gold medal 🥇at the Sydney paralympics , and lo & behold, 10 outta 12 weren't disabled ! 🤣

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back