Summer Paris 2024 - Day -1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Competition got underway overnight, with the first official result being Australia edging Samoa 21-14 in the men’s rugby 7’s. The Aussies started a little sluggish, falling behind early, but three-time Olympian Henry Hutchinson scored 2 tries to lift the side. Later on, while most of the country were sleeping, Australia beat Kenya 21-7.

One of the favourites for gold, Argentina, got 2 comfortable victories, as did Ireland who blew out Japan 40-5. The most dramatic game was the France/USA clash which resulted in a 12-12 draw. Fiji dominated both their games, outscoring opponents 78-24. Ominous signs.

In the men’s soccer, total chaos between Argentina and Morocco. I caught the first half, but recently read about the drama that unfolded later in the game. Argentina thought they had scored the equaliser in extra time, but shortly after players were forced to leave the arena for 2 hours as objects were being thrown on the field and spectators running on. After the major delay, players returned to play the final 3 minutes, the referee said the goal scored prior to the delay was offside, and Morocco held on for a 2-1 win. Wow, not the ideal start.

Other noticeable results included France beating USA 3-0, and Spain edging Uzbekistan 2-1.

Day -1 highlights:
  • Women’s handball begins at 5pm AEST, with Slovenia taking on Denmark. The Danes are expected to challenge for gold.
  • Archery begins at 5:30pm with the women’s individual ranking round. Laura Paeglis will represent Australia. The men begins at 10:15, with Peter Boukouvalas in action.
  • Rugby 7’s, Australia vs Argentina at 10:30. Huge match. Two of the contenders, both undefeated last night.
  • Rugby 7’s, New Zealand vs Ireland. Two gold medal contenders.
  • Rugby 7’s quarter finals start at 5am.
  • Matilda’s begin their campaign at 3am, against Germany. Massive ask to start.

NZ beating Guinea 2-1 was another noticeable result from last night, only NZ's second win in football at an Olympic Games.

It didn't quite have the drama of the Argentina v Morocco game but it was an exciting match with NZ scoring a late winner.

So much sport before the opening ceremony, it’s starting to feel a bit odd.

It's like playing a quarter of the AFL Grand Final before they have the pre-game entertainment, the anthems and opening bounce.

Update: Stan has zero noise other than the commentators. Zero atmosphere.

Put on 9now just to see what was happening. Full volume.

Is this just me? I need to know whether to roast them or not.

Edit; they have fixed the problem. Phew! Full sound on Stan.

Last edited:
One thing about a European games

Huge partisan crowds.

It's a good thing about being sick this time of year. When you can't get to sleep, you can get up and watch something. You could see the skill gap between Ireland - Japan and the later match, New Zealand - South Africa in the rugby 7s. Japan looked very very poor compared to the rest.

NZ looked solid but boy, did the South Africans get screwed by the ref. The first NZ try was a knock on which they missed, and there would have been a thousand penalties against South Africa. The scoreline flattered the Kiwis

In the football, I watched a little bit of the French-US game. The difference was individual class. 2 great individual goals by the French in what was an underwhelming match for them.

I enjoyed my early morning, but I hope to get some good sleep tonight.

There was no crowd noise at first, there is now.

Must’ve been a broadcast issue.
Yeah I sent them a message, thankfully they fixed it.

Netherlands vs Angola in handball. Netherlands look like scoring every time, they advance so quickly. Staggering speed. Angola too many turnovers. This will be one-sided.

Yeah I sent them a message, thankfully they fixed it.

Netherlands vs Angola in handball. Netherlands look like scoring every time, they advance so quickly. Staggering speed. Angola too many turnovers. This will be one-sided.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my life, it’s never count out the Angolan women’s handball team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it’s great. It’s a shame it isn’t a thing in Australia.
The one I don’t understand why we’re not better at is volleyball. I’m a teacher and kids love it, every school I’ve been at it’s been popular and the standard I’ve seen is very high.

Any particular reason why we haven’t progressed much? Funding, coaching, lack of leagues? I think the talent is there.

Argentina with the first try, they will be tougher for Australia to beat than Samoa and Kenya.

Is the archery not being broadcast?

Anyway good atmosphere for the 7s.

It usually is for the 7s with so many different teams playing on the same day.

I went to a 7s tournament at Twickenham, it was a fun day out.

Argentina with the first try, they will be tougher for Australia to beat than Samoa and Kenya.

It usually is for the 7s with so many different teams playing on the same day.

I went to a 7s tournament at Twickenham, it was fun day out.

Them, NZ and Fiji look the obvious medals

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Day -1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back