Summer Paris 2024 - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
And here we go… starts in less than 24 hours.

Didn’t take long to feel overwhelmed at the thought of how much I want to watch on day 1, and how much I won’t be able to watch. And looking at the schedule, I want to pull an all-nighter. There’s so many highlights, I could’ve just copied the entire schedule. 8 sports have medals on offer. Here’s my best attempt at a list of highlights, apologies to the tons of quality events I’ve missed.

We could (and should) end the day with multiple golds. We have massive chances in a couple swimming races, most notably Titmus in the women’s 400m, Winnington and Short in the men’s 400m. Aussie women should win gold in the 4x100 freestyle. Rugby 7 medals are determined too. Boomers, Kookaburras, Stingers, it’s all happening!

Day 1 highlights:

5:00: Men’s volleyball – Japan vs Germany
6:30: Shooting- 10m air rifle mixed team. First medals of Olympics.
7:00: Basketball – Australia vs Spain
7:00: Diving – Women’s 3m synchronised springboard final
7:00: Swimming heats – Women’s 100m butterfly, women’s 400m freestyle, mens 100m backstroke, men’s 400m freestyle, women’s and men’s 4x100m freestyle.
9:15: Men’s hockey – Australia vs Argentina
9:15: Tennis – Djokovic vs Ebden. Djokovic starting his campaign to capture the only title missing. Plays Aussie Matt Ebden.
10:30: Cycling road – Women’s individual time trial. Aussie Grace Brown is a chance.
11:00: Men’s beach volleyball – Australia vs Sweden

12:00: Canoe slalom – Women’s single heats. Flag bearer Jess Fox in action.
12:00: Men’s rugby 7’s – Semi final – Australia vs Fiji

1:00: Skateboarding – Men’s street final
2:00: Women’s beach volleyball – Australia vs China
2:30: Men’s rugby 7’s – Bronze medal match.
3:15: Men’s rugby 7’s – Gold medal match.
3:35: Women’s water polo - Australia vs China
4:30-5:45: Swimming – Women’s 100m butterfly SF, men’s 400m freestyle final, women’s 400m freestyle final, women’s 4x100m freestyle final, men’s 4x100m freestyle final

Super excited obviously for the Fencing tomorrow.

My event (Mens Sabre) is on around 6:25pm.

Disappointed I didn't qualify, but a few fencers I have fencers against in competition or training are competing so will be a great watch.

Really open event as well.

Boomers starting.

Swimming starting.

Synchronised diving.

Volleyball currently 25-25 in set 4, could go a 5th.

I’m stuffed.
Just remember too much sport is barely enough Drummond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stuffed up that dive and threw away a silver for 4th maybe 5th spot
The girl on the right did a great dive. The other girls foot was barely on the board when she jumped off. Feel sorry for both of them. Must be shattered, that should be them celebrating a medal.

To supplement Drummond's list, Code Sports journo Lachlan McKirdy who produced that great one-stop spreadsheet for all your Olympics details, is producing and tweeting a daily spreadsheet and listing the events Aussies are involved in. Here is today's version. He has highlighted the gold medal events an Aussie could be in.

1722079002725.png

Lachlan McKirdy forgot Luke Plapp is in the men's Time Trial

DateLocal TimeAEST TimeEventAustralians involved
Saturday, July 2714:3022:30Women's Individual Time TrialGrace Brown
16:3400:34Men's Individual Time TrialLucas Plapp

Amazing end to the half by the Kookaburras. Had possession at or even behind the half way line with 5 seconds left but a massive launch into the circle and a dangerous swat by Argentina leads to a penalty corner that Govers converts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back