Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly violence is being reported on Australians . The alleged rape and now two channel9 Crew being attacked . The team have been told wear civvies a(non australian identifying uniform ) out side village when not competing .
Are you suggesting that Australians are being deliberately targeted? And for what reason would this be?

Are you suggesting that Australians are being deliberately targeted? And for what reason would this be?
Not targeted, just happened to be two unrelated incidents involving Australians, by the sound of it. I'd say not wearing the uniform would just be 'big city' safety, so as not to easily identify as a tourist.

Not targeted, just happened to be two unrelated incidents involving Australians, by the sound of it. I'd say not wearing the uniform would just be 'big city' safety, so as not to easily identify as a tourist.
and likely to have smart phones and credit cards

I sometimes tune in to the radio because Basil and co are insufferable on TV.
Really odd they have it on mainstream radio in Adelaide and Hobart but not the bigger cities.

I wonder how long it'll take me to get sick of Bruce's rhetorical questions
We watched all of Tokyo on 7+ because they took the world feed commentary (not sure who provided it), not Channel Seven people. Even for athletics and swimming events with Australians, there were no Australian commentators. Frankly, it was bliss.

Hopefully, 9Now will do the same.

Even for athletics and swimming events with Australians, there were no Australian commentators. Frankly, it was bliss.

The world feed commentators for swimming in Tokyo were Mike McCann & Bobby Hurley. Both Australian. But a lot better than Baz & Co or 9's Rooney.

Plenty of Aussie freelancers are recruited for the world feed. Even Bruce McAvaney did some in 2012 when 9 & not 7 had the rights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The world feed commentators for swimming in Tokyo were Mike McCann & Bobby Hurley. Both Australian. But a lot better than Baz & Co or 9's Rooney.

Plenty of Aussie freelancers are recruited for the world feed. Even Bruce McAvaney did some in 2012 when 9 & not 7 had the rights.
Yeah, sorry, I should have been more precise. What I was getting at was that they didn't take the Channel Seven commentary, even when the same event was being broadcast on Channel Seven.

Pretty sure Bruce did the swimming with Nicole Livingstone in London. I will dig thru the 2012 swimming thread as I'm sure a few people commented about it.

OK quicker to do a google search. He did both swimming and athletics in Athens as Dennis Cometti had moved to Ch 9 with the AFL moving to 9/10/FFC in 2002. He was flat and nowhere as good as Dennis. But people said he did a good job in 2012.

RAY WARREN will be the voice of swimming for Channel Nine during the Olympics - but don't think Olympics junkie Bruce McAvaney will miss the London Games. Channel Seven is allowing him to call for the IOC for its international feed alongside Nicole Livingstone.

Oh Canada

A staff member from the Canadian women’s football team was detained by police after using a drone to spy on Olympic Games rivals New Zealand.
Canada, the reigning women’s football Olympic champions, will face New Zealand on Thursday morning (AEST).

It has been confirmed that a non-accredited member of their support staff sent a drone over the Football Ferns training sessions in St Etienne on Monday.

The drone was spotted by the Ferns who complained which led to the operator being detained by police.

The Canadian Olympic committee issued a statement following the inciden

The IOC says there are 32 sports in Paris, 28 are core sports and 4 are optional - Breaking, Skateboarding, Sport Climbing and Surfing.

In LA There are 35 sports and 27 are core sports - they dropped Boxing due to disputes with the International Federation's governance. Breaking also goes out and Skateboarding, Sport Climbing and Surfing stay.

So 30 of the 32 sport in Paris will be there in LA.

New ones in LA are Cricket T20, Flag Football, Lacrosse - their T20 version, Squash and Baseball/Softball.

Brisbane will have some selection rights but of the 5 added in LA, I can see them keeping 4 of them as Oz historically has done well in them and kick out Flag Football.

If Boxing doesn't come back for Brisbane it will be interesting to see if they replace Flag Football with a new sport. I reckon Skateboarding, and Surfing stay as Oz does Ok in both of them and Sport Climbing probably stays as its cheap to build the venue and there will be a legacy venue and there are plenty of climbers in Oz.

So in Paris the 32 sports actually cover 45 disciplines when you break up, Aquatics into their 5 sports including marathon swimming, Canoeing into slalom and sprint, Cycling into 5 disciplines, Gymnastics into 3 disciplines, Basketball into normal and 3x3, and Volleyball into beach and indoor.

I've got this video from many feeds the last 2 or 3 days. I don't know what's more spectacular, changing the colour of the paint of the Eiffel Tower so that when they light it up at night it looks like its made of gold or the image of the moon thru the Olympic rings. Its all spectacular like so much of Paris and its venues.

The IOC says there are 32 sports in Paris, 28 are core sports and 4 are optional - Breaking, Skateboarding, Sport Climbing and Surfing.

In LA There are 35 sports and 27 are core sports - they dropped Boxing due to disputes with the International Federation's governance. Breaking also goes out and Skateboarding, Sport Climbing and Surfing stay.

So 30 of the 32 sport in Paris will be there in LA.

New ones in LA are Cricket T20, Flag Football, Lacrosse - their T20 version, Squash and Baseball/Softball.

Brisbane will have some selection rights but of the 5 added in LA, I can see them keeping 4 of them as Oz historically has done well in them and kick out Flag Football.

If Boxing doesn't come back for Brisbane it will be interesting to see if they replace Flag Football with a new sport. I reckon Skateboarding, and Surfing stay as Oz does Ok in both of them and Sport Climbing probably stays as its cheap to build the venue and there will be a legacy venue and there are plenty of climbers in Oz.

So in Paris the 32 sports actually cover 45 disciplines when you break up, Aquatics into their 5 sports including marathon swimming, Canoeing into slalom and sprint, Cycling into 5 disciplines, Gymnastics into 3 disciplines, Basketball into normal and 3x3, and Volleyball into beach and indoor.
LA are having an absolute laugh putting in what are far and away predominantly American sports of flag football and lacrosse. Hard to believe the IOC have allowed it.

LA are having an absolute laugh putting in what are far and away predominantly American sports of flag football and lacrosse. Hard to believe the IOC have allowed it.
Lacrosse will be interesting because its a new Sixes version of the game only being around for less than a decade. Bit like Rugby Sevens, but normal lacrosse has 10 on the field but the Sixes only 6.

But yeah the host city pick is a sport that heavily favours them. Not sure what Brisbane will pick that is a new sport, that Oz dominates in and enough countries play. Obviously cricket will stay in and we will be big favourites.

In the men's full version of the game, the 14 world championships only 4 nations have won medals, USA have won 11 times, Canada 3, Oz 4 silvers and 7 bronze and Haudenosaunee Nationals Men’s Lacrosse Team, formerly known as the Iroquois Nationals have 3 bronze medals.

In the women's full version of the game Yanks dominate here also, winning 9 of the 11 world championships losing twice to Oz in 1986 and 2005. Oz has also won 4 silvers and 3 bronzes. Only Canada, England and Scotland have won medals.

Maybe the Sixes version of lacrosse can find the equal of Fiji is for the Rugby Sevens game. But it might take a decade or two for that to happen. I think Brisbane will back lacrosse, especially if Oz men's and women's teams win medals in LA and world tournaments.

But yeah the host city pick is a sport that heavily favours them. Not sure what Brisbane will pick that is a new sport, that Oz dominates in and enough countries play. Obviously cricket will stay in and we will be big favourites.

AFLX? 🙃

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back