Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of a heads up for the Opening Ceremony. The Aussie are going to look very drab.

The French will look very sharp.

The Kenyans will be very striking. I think these are models not any athletes. Somewhere I saw Faith Kipyegon and Eliud Kipchoge but I'm pretty sure its not them.

Last edited:

Additionally, I'm going to make a prediction that the opening ceremony on the Seine is going to be a bit of a fizzer. Reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when the AFL thought it would be a good idea to hold the grand final parade on the yarra.

Additionally, I'm going to make a prediction that the opening ceremony on the Seine is going to be a bit of a fizzer. Reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when the AFL thought it would be a good idea to hold the grand final parade on the yarra.
Yeah I'm so fascinated by how it will work and be perceived. I love that they're trying something new, but the logistics I'm struggling to get my head around.

Standing on a boat isn't going to be as showy as walking into a stadium, and managing 200(?) Boats seems like a nightmare.

I would back the French to do a better job with their opening ceremony on a river than the AFL's half arsed GF parade on a river.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barcelona ftw

Yeah 3 hours is better than 4 hours.

I got a ticket sent to me by SOCOG, as I joined the Olympic Club in 1998, to attend the 2nd of 3 trial runs for Sydney's opening ceremony. Whilst I got excited by what I saw, I knew the parade of athletes would take probably another hour so on top of the 45 minutes of what they slotted in, and I thought you don't want this thing to go for 4 hours.

I still reckon the best bit was the start with the hundreds of horses galloping in and around the stadium. When I went to the rehearsal, there was maybe 30,000 people, so it was pretty empty and the thunderous noise that echoed around the stadium just didn't come thru on TV at the opening ceremony. I watched it with about 20 people and said i wont tell you what happens, but you have to see the start. They loved the horses, but were somewhat underwhelmed by it compared to me on the rehearsal night.

Yeah I'm so fascinated by how it will work and be perceived. I love that they're trying something new, but the logistics I'm struggling to get my head around.

Standing on a boat isn't going to be as showy as walking into a stadium, and managing 200(?) Boats seems like a nightmare.
There are only 80 barges involved iirc, so countries have to share.

Talking of London,

Chariots of Fire was on a week ago, geez I've watched it about 20 times, but I haven't watched for about 20 years, and I don't think it has aged well. Rage has had an Olympics theme and played music with Olympics stuff or videos with Olympics sports eg Pointer Sisters' Jump, had LJ, HJ, and TJ scenes, or songs about sports in general, and Vangelis' theme to Chariots of Fire was the last track played.

But this is the best version, from the London Opening ceremony. Even the official Olympics account loves it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back