Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The Oarsome Foursome got a Golburn Valley sponsorship deal after Barcelona and extended it after they backed it up in Atlanta, so what type of sponsorship deal does Jess Fox get??
"Peaches, mango, peaches... Peaches, mango, peaches"

Canada lost appeal for cheating​

Difference between winning and losing’​

Spying was something the Canada women’s team “has ‘always done’ and it was the ‘difference between winning and losing’,” FIFA appeals judge Neil Eggleston wrote in a 26-page document detailing evidence and witness statements to help explain the verdict.

Actions by the Canadian team at the Olympics were “inexcusable and unacceptable,” wrote Eggleston, a former White House Counsel in the administration of US president Barack Obama.

“Bev Priestman references that the men’s senior national team may have employed a similar scouting tactic,” the Canadian soccer federation wrote in its submission to the FIFA hearing.

In a past internal email about spying with drones on opponents’ practice sessions, Priestman wrote “I know there is a whole operation on the men’s side with regards to it.”

Aussie women- 7 Gold
Aussie men - 0
Gold medal chances are drying up in the pool too. What do we have left that we are realistic chances in?

McEvoy in the 50m Free (although the Chinese guy who won the 100 is surely going to be hard to beat)

McKeown in the 200 back and 200 IM

Mens 4 x 100 relay

Womens 4 x 200 relay

Maybe an outside chance in another couple of relays?

Going to have to absolutely nail it to reach 8 gold in the pool, which was on the lower end of predictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s awesome.

Do you know what event that was?
No. I will try and find the original tweet that Craig Foster borrowed it from. I think that said what the event was.

My end of Day 5 medals table vs medals handed out table. Getting harder to do these, so no doubt by the weekend I will fall way behind.

Adjustments in Day 5 was the following
Rowing 1) Men's and 2) Women's Quad skulls finals so handed out 4 medals for 2 x 3 placings
Fencing Men's Team Sabre handed out 4 medals per placing
Diving Women's Synchronised 10m Platform handed out 2 medals per placing

Notes for day 5 - Judo like all combat sports give out 2 bronze medals, and 2 Judo events had finals on Day 5.

To the left is national medal count, to the right is medal count to individuals for that nation. I've added total athletes per country. Some time down the track I will add % of athletes who win a medal.

1722508323799.png
1722508380561.png

‘I had to safeguard my life’: Boxer refuses to fight on amid Olympic gender storm​

A gender controversy has erupted at the Paris Olympics after an Italian boxer abandoned her bout against an opponent who previously failed a gender test, just 46 seconds into the fight.

Italian Angela Carini complained about the strength of her opponent, Algerian Imane Khelif, and said she felt a pain in her nose after just two punches were thrown.

Carini then abruptly quit the bout and refused to shake Khelif’s hand, yelling “it’s not fair, it’s not fair, it’s not fair” in the direction of her corner. “It could be the match of my life but, in that moment, I had to safeguard my life, too,” Carini said.
Khelif was disqualified from the world championship last year after “elevated levels of testosterone” failed to meet the criteria of a gender eligibility test, and the International Boxing Association ruled she had advantages over other female competitors.

The gender controversy has become a flashpoint at the Games, prompting even Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni to declare that boxers with male “characteristics” should not be allowed to compete in women’s events.

The International Olympic Committee disregarded the International Boxing Association’s advice and allowed Khelif, and another female boxer from Chinese Taipei, Lin Yu-ting, previously disqualified for failing gender eligibility tests, to compete in Paris. Neither boxer has publicly identified as transgender or as having “differences in sexual development” (DSD).

Doesnt seem right to me the fact the world boxing championship wouldn't allow the 2 trans boxers but the ioc says its ok.
I don't think they're trans, but intersex or something along those lines. Bit of a sticky situation for all involved if a chromosomal issue that you were born with were to stop you from being able to compete.

They are DSD persons.

Athletics allows DSD athletes (eg Semenya) to compete if they undergo treatment to reduce abnormal (for a woman) levels of testosterone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back