Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I reserved my commentary on this until I knew the parameters around her gender eligibility test failures

Again, this comes down to the governing body - not the athlete

If the IOC was serious they’d have divisions for:
Men
Women
Intersex
Transgender

But they aren’t serious about inclusivity - it’s just virtue signalling
Do you think there is the numbers for an intersex competition as they are extremely rare.

Am I missing something here all I hear is Simone Biles is GOAT in gymnastics however Larisa Latynina has 3 more golds and 9 more medals total? Is it just recency bias?

I reserved my commentary on this until I knew the parameters around her gender eligibility test failures

Again, this comes down to the governing body - not the athlete

If the IOC was serious they’d have divisions for:
Men
Women
Intersex
Transgender

But they aren’t serious about inclusivity - it’s just virtue signalling
But there's so many different types of intersex, that would be very difficult to make fair also.

I also agree with this too, there is definitely a balance to inclusion as to minimise public ridicule or even exposure of private details

Probably another decade from getting it right

Empirical evidence for intersex individuals would be hard to baseline thus difficult to establish anything beyond a higher testosterone having a correlation to athletic performance broadly.. though, even that metric is flawed as there’d be men with low normal test ranges and men with high or near supra-physiological endogenous test who perform in the same capacities.

I’m just a nuffy with interest in human performance and endocrinology - I don’t claim to have the solution.

I do absolutely agree with you though, a lot of these ammo boxers are very average as those who have capacity to do well in the sport in the modern era tend to go pro early. Gone are the days of cutting your teeth and getting fast tracked to the pros via the Olympics.

In short - we don’t really understand what it matters anyway

3 v 3 basketball is just shite.
It's basically a glorified training drill.

I'm pretty open-minded to include sports that appeal to different demographics, but this one is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

After McEvoy is done inevitably choking in the 50m, are we likely to win any men's gold medals at all at this Olympics?
Good chances in windsurfing, sailing (dinghy), surfing, tennis doubles. I think we should get at least 1 gold out of these.

Sports Illustrated has Rousseau winning gold in the 10m platform diving, but I can't fathom China not winning that.

Keegan Palmer won gold in skateboarding in Tokyo. I don't think he is favourite, but still has to be a good chance.

Maybe we can fluke something in track cycling or rowing. I'd say unlikely.

Won't be surprised if the Kookaburras win gold when nobody is expecting it. And yes, I know they got flogged by Belgium.

The water polo team has put up results which suggest they are in the mix. But it is such a tough sport that keeping that up over the whole tournament will be extremely hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good chances in windsurfing, sailing (dinghy), surfing, tennis doubles. I think we should get at least 1 gold out of these.

Sports Illustrated has Rousseau winning gold in the 10m platform diving, but I can't fathom China not winning that.

Keegan Palmer won gold in skateboarding in Tokyo. I don't think he is favourite, but still has to be a good chance.

Maybe we can fluke something in track cycling or rowing. I'd say unlikely.

Won't be surprised if the Kookaburras win gold when nobody is expecting it. And yes, I know they got flogged by Belgium.

The water polo team has put up results which suggest they are in the mix. But it is such a tough sport that keeping that up over the whole tournament will be extremely hard.
I really hope Saya can get gold after what happened in Tokyo, she'd be a chance too.

Our rider Grae Morris qualified in 1st and straight into the 3-man final. There's a "quarter final" for the 4th-10th qualifiers, with the top 2 then going into a "semi final" with the 2-3 qualifiers. The top 2 from that go into the final with the Aussie. Big advantage for qualifying 1st.

Former schoolboy rugby player weighing in at 100kg. Born in Sydney to Kiwi parents and grew up idolising the All Blacks. There's also an actual Kiwi in the mix who qualified 3rd.
He's as Australian as Pavlova :thumbsu:

Am I missing something here all I hear is Simone Biles is GOAT in gymnastics however Larisa Latynina has 3 more golds and 9 more medals total? Is it just recency bias?
It’s the world we live in. Everyone loves using the term as soon as there’s someone who is really good at their sport. And those people suddenly become experts and students of the 50-100 years of athletes before the current ones..

In short people are idiots. Anyone who uses the term should be forced to watch the Sex and the City movies on loop for a year.

It’s the world we live in. Everyone loves using the term as soon as there’s someone who is really good at their sport. And those people suddenly become experts and students of the 50-100 years of athletes before the current ones..

In short people are idiots. Anyone who uses the term should be forced to watch the Sex and the City movies on loop for a year.
“And just like that, I realised GOAT debates were pointless…”

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back