Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kayak cross seems like a gimmicky version of the stuff with the gates.

I don't see how this takes even 50% of the skill of the other format.
I can only assume that Jess Fox will show us how it's done and somehow completely legitimise the event. Such is her power!

Kayak cross seems like a gimmicky version of the stuff with the gates.

I don't see how this takes even 50% of the skill of the other format.
I don't think it does.

The skill is in head-to-head-to-head-to-head racing format which will come tomorrow.

But hey, it's not like any of us really have a clue, hence why people go off half-cooked complaining about shit.

I can only assume that Jess Fox will show us how it's done and somehow completely legitimise the event. Such is her power!

Someone on Roy and HG's ABC radio show suggested that Jess Fox should be a commentator for the next Ashes series.

If Tubby Taylor can be a commentator for the diving then why not? Roy and HG liked the idea, not sure Jess Fox would though.

She probably has better things to do, like preparing to win more golds at the LA Olympics, rather than commentating the cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate how they keep switching between the track and field and the swimming, since when did they overlap?

They never used to overlap, the swimming used to be out of the way before the track and field started.

Roy and HG were complaining about it on their show, too many other bullshit sports are getting added.

9Gem are now showing the Gangajangaroos again who no one gives a stuff about, a joke of a sport.
There has been overlap for many games. People have poor memories including HG and Roy.

Athletics started on the first Friday in Sydney (22nd of September) and I reckon many Olympics before that

I went to the stadium to watch 100m heats and Freeman ran her heat on Friday night 22nd September. She ran 2nd round - 1/4 finals on the Saturday the 23rd, SFs on Sunday the 24th, and Final was Monday night the 25th September.

Swimming was still on that Friday night as I remember I tuned in to my radio at the stadium to the 100m Butterfly final which Klim lost.

I have double checked the spreadsheet I have kept from back then, as I had so many tickets to events I had to keep a spreadsheet for them all, and printed it out and stuck it on my bedroom wall, so I could plan transport a day or two in advance.

Swimming actually finished Saturday 23rd in the arvo think about 2pm, because the Women's Water Polo final was on and they needed the pool for that. I think it was also a bit of a concession to NBC to have some swimming in a half decent time slot for them, and the yanks were expected to win and did win the last two events, the Medley Relays.

I went to the athletics on the Saturday night with a good mate who used to do athletics when we were at Uni, we watched the men's and women's 100m finals, we snuck into better seats in the home straight because the bloody pole vault bags and other paraphernalia obscured our view for the 100m finals at the top of the northern end about 15 rows back from the fence.

After we left the stadium we joined maybe 100 people watching the last 5 minutes of the Women's water polo gold medal game on a screen embedded into some structure. There was no sound, so I got my radio out and tuned into to the ABC, and heard Clinton Grybus's famous call of that last minute goal that won the gold for the Aussie girls over the yanks.

In 1956 there were 13 swimming events. It grew to 29 events in 1968 so that's probably when the overlap started 7 days x 4 finals per day means you need Friday for swimming and Friday to start athletics.

Sydney there were 32 swimming events. They went Saturday to Saturday 4 events per day over 7 nights and 1 afternoon.

8 day/nights of swimming finals is the norm. Marchand and French Swimming got it change to a 9th night on Sunday ( no morning session) so he could do the double last night and since Sydney, they have added 3 events - 800m Free men, 1500m Free Women and Mixed Relay. Sunday the 4 finals start 2 hours earlier because of the packed weekend schedule.

Jess Fox with the 2nd best time in Kayak Cross at present, sister Noemie in the lower top 10 somewhere

Noemie Fox is the Danni Minogue to Jess Fox's Kylie Minogue, she has a crack but she isn't as good as her sister.

Judoka Teddy Riner - the 3 time Olympic champ and 11 time world champ who co- lite the cauldron with Marie-Jose Perec, tonight won the 100+ KG division and I think joins a French biathlon skier to win 4 individual gold medals for France.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back