Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold medal favourite Shelley Anne Fraser Price was late arriving for her semi final of the 100m so she was locked out. She was livid, arguing with stadium officials pleading to let her into the stadium... So the semi was run without her with a vacant lane. Huge story.

Feeling sorry for the Brit? not really.

The format does seem unfair. You can see why they do it though since it will add to the suspense.

The Aussie man that got silver after being first through to the final didn't complain though.

Feeling sorry for the Brit? not really.

The format does seem unfair. You can see why they do it though since it will add to the suspense.

The Aussie man that got silver after being first through to the final didn't complain though.
I think the major issue from reading that is having to sit and wait while your opponents get a better judge of the conditions.

The leader should be allowed to race in those races even if they are already guaranteed a spot.

I think the major issue from reading that is having to sit and wait while your opponents get a better judge of the conditions.

The leader should be allowed to race in those races even if they are already guaranteed a spot.
That's an interesting thought. Although they could influence the race by (for example) blocking the best competitor so the less talented boats get through to the gold medal race.

Maybe they need a final 6 or 8 series like AFL or NRL with a match race for gold at the end.

Not a cycling fan by any stretch but I'm surprised it doesn't have its own thread since we normally do alright on the velodrome (maybe I'm confusing this with the Commonwealth Games)
We used to. Long gone are those days. Brits will win 5+ golds.

Not a cycling fan by any stretch but I'm surprised it doesn't have its own thread since we normally do alright on the velodrome (maybe I'm confusing this with the Commonwealth Games)
It went under the radar how poor we were on the track in Tokyo because of all the swimming success.

My end of Day 8 medals table vs medals handed out table.

Adjustments in Day 8 was the following;

Rowing 1) Men's and 2) Women's Eights coxswain also gets a medal so handed out 9 medals for 2 x 3 placings
Fencing Women's Team Sabre handed out 4 medals per placing
Equestrian Team Dressage 3 medals handed out per placing
Badminton Women's Doubles 2 medals handed out per
Athletics Mixed 4 x 400m Relay 5G Netherlands, 4S USA, 5B GBR
Swimming Mixed 4 x 400m relay 8G USA, 6S China, 8B Australia
Judo Mixed Team, 14G France, 14 Japan, - 2 bronzes 11 South Korea, 10 Brazil
* I have no idea why such a big different between number of gold/silver vs bronzes handed out

Notes for day 8 - Judo and boxing like all combat sports give out 2 bronze medals. see above for last Judo event medals.
Tennis men's singles bronze medal was won last night by Italian and is included is in the official tally. Gold and silver match today.
2 Boxing bronze medals for Women's 60kg won last night, are included in the official tally. Gold and silver match today.

To the left is national medal count, to the right is medal count to individuals for that nation.

With out doing full reconciliation of multiple medallists, 20+% of USA and Great Britain team have won medals as highlighted in yellow and in light blue is top team that 10+% of a nations athletes are taking home a medal. I will also add how many teams in team sports countries have and how many athletes those teams supply at some point.

1722785293799.png
1722785321610.png

We used to. Long gone are those days. Brits will win 5+ golds.

Ahh... the days of Charlie Walsh and seeing some of the world's best pedalling around the Adelaide roads training all the time.

Sadly, after Charlie finished coaching, the next best Aussie coaches followed the money to the UK and set up the Brits for London and beyond.

And here we are...

Eddie (& other TV studio types) - please stop telling us the commentators have done a magnificent job.

That's for the viewers to decide - and why so many of us choose other commentators or mute them..

Ahh... the days of Charlie Walsh and seeing some of the world's best pedalling around the Adelaide roads training all the time.

Sadly, after Charlie finished coaching, the next best Aussie coaches followed the money to the UK and set up the Brits for London and beyond.

And here we are...
Even Sir Chris Hoy trained in Perth

It was a time to be alive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil Liggett calling it quits after these Olympics, one of the all time great sports commentators, an old fashioned pro.

He will be missed.

I can't envision cycling without hearing his voice.

I would usually prefer to watch live sport but great farewell interview with the legendary Phil Liggett.
The man literally talked about keeping people from getting up to make a cup of tea.

Not huge into cycling but the man had me glued to my screen until it was over even with Eddie being the other guy on camera.

Gold medal favourite Shelley Anne Fraser Price was late arriving for her semi final of the 100m so she was locked out. She was livid, arguing with stadium officials pleading to let her into the stadium... So the semi was run without her with a vacant lane. Huge story.

She withdrew due to injury. There was confusion with a late rule change and access for warm ups, but she was still allowed to run. Then she decided the leg injury she had been carrying wasn't going to let her run at 100% and pulled out.

If I was dictator for a day, I’d hang the person who thought Dylan Alcott would make a good media performer.
He's pretty good reading the audio version of his book

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back