Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Men's singles badminton final is on, Viktor Axelsen on his way to defend his title.
Denmark has a weird niche in a sport dominated by Asian countries

Interesting, just looked this up to see if there's any explanation for that.

Nothing I can find in particular, just a cultural thing I think.

My time to shine!

Denmark was one of the founding members of the first badminton federation - but this was along with several other non-Asian countries too. It is indeed a bit of a weird cultural quirk - they dominated the early years of prestigious competitions like the Thomas Cup (before the Asian nations started their winning ways) and I guess it is sort of a snowball effect where this also encouraged Danes to keep picking up the sport.

Even with them clearly being far more successful than other non-Asian countries, they still lag way behind though in terms of Thomas Cups, Olympic medals etc etc compared to China, Indonesia and South Korea. Before Axelsen, they only had one gold medal in total from badminton at the Olympics, and a handful of minor medals.

And for a Malaysian badminton tragic like myself, these nations have denied Malaysia a gold medal many many times in badminton - they remain largest nation in the region to never win Olympic gold, and the nation in the world that has won the most total medals ever in the Olympics without ever winning the gold.

My time to shine!

Denmark was one of the founding members of the first badminton federation - but this was along with several other non-Asian countries too. It is indeed a bit of a weird cultural quirk - they dominated the early years of prestigious competitions like the Thomas Cup (before the Asian nations started their winning ways) and I guess it is sort of a snowball effect where this also encouraged Danes to keep picking up the sport.

Even with them clearly being far more successful than other non-Asian countries, they still lag way behind though in terms of Thomas Cups, Olympic medals etc etc compared to China, Indonesia and South Korea. Before Axelsen, they only had one gold medal in total from badminton at the Olympics, and a handful of minor medals.

And for a Malaysian badminton tragic like myself, these nations have denied Malaysia a gold medal many many times in badminton - they remain largest nation in the region to never win Olympic gold, and the nation in the world that has won the most total medals ever in the Olympics without ever winning the gold.
Really interesting, thanks. My assumption came from knowing of Peter Gade from Denmark was a top player but looking him up he always came up short vs an Asian player in the WCs.

It's like how Egypt dominates squash just because their president was a fan and had courts built everywhere

Really interesting, thanks. My assumption came from knowing of Peter Gade from Denmark was a top player but looking him up he always came up short vs an Asian player in the WCs.

It's like how Egypt dominates squash just because their president was a fan and had courts built everywhere

You're welcome.

Two more bronze medals in the badminton to Malaysia in this Games, by the way. That just makes the 'record' worse. Of course, being top three and medalling is a huge achievement blah blah but the first Malaysian/s to win a gold medal will receive a house, a million dollars and immediate knighthood.

Not even making it up, by the way. The perpetual bridesmaid (Lee Chong Wei) received them too for his multiple silvers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're welcome.

Two more bronze medals in the badminton to Malaysia in this Games, by the way. That just makes the 'record' worse. Of course, being top three and medalling is a huge achievement blah blah but the first Malaysian/s to win a gold medal will receive a house, a million dollars and immediate knighthood.

Not even making it up, by the way. The perpetual bridesmaid (Lee Chong Wei) received them too for his multiple silvers.
Yeah I remember that final in 2012, won the first game vs Lin Dan then he went up another gear.

Here's the thing: Malaysia had the best female squash player for a decade, Nicol David, but the governing body just hasn't greased enough IOC palms, even though it's a far more international and deserving sport than a lot of sports on right now. It might come in for Brisbane 2032, only 20 years too late for an almost certain gold medal.

Yeah I remember that final in 2012, won the first game vs Lin Dan then he went up another gear.

Here's the thing: Malaysia had the best female squash player for a decade, Nicol David, but the governing body just hasn't greased enough IOC palms, even though it's a far more international and deserving sport than a lot of sports on right now. It might come in for Brisbane 2032, only 20 years too late for an almost certain gold medal.
Squash is in for 2028, isn't it?

Mijian Lopez from Cuba just became the first Olympian to win the same event at 5 consecutive Olympics. Greco-Roman 130kg wrestling.

Incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back