Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This might come across as sexist but it seems that there are parallels between park skateboarding and park bmx. Big chasm with what the women can do compared to the men.

It’s called a bowl, or ramps. Not a chasm.

But yes, I think she was the first female to do a 900 in competition - about 20 years after Tony Hawk invented it.

Weight of numbers though, male skaters outnumber females by a huge amount, and have done for decades.

That said, 99% of male skaters could not do a 1 minute run that good.

Last edited:
Squash is in for 2028, isn't it?

Yes. The new sports are squash, cricket (T20), lacrosse, flag football, and baseball/softball are back.

Flag football is a joke, but if 3x3 basketball can get in, then anything can. I'm waiting for ultimate frisbee to be the next sport in.

Lacrosse is an underrated sport. Was actually in the 1904 and 1908 Olympics. But of course they aren't playing the main version, but a dummed down "sixes" version (less players, less contact, half sized field, half the duration, etc).

Yes. The new sports are squash, cricket (T20), lacrosse, flag football, and baseball/softball are back.

Flag football is a joke, but if 3x3 basketball can get in, then anything can. I'm waiting for ultimate frisbee to be the next sport in.

Lacrosse is an underrated sport. Was actually in the 1904 and 1908 Olympics. But of course they aren't playing the main version, but a dummed down "sixes" version (less players, less contact, half sized field, half the duration, etc).

Nothing wrong with those sports you mentioned. And with frisbee/flying disc. If it needs to be modified for Olympics, fine. It's the foot in the door. I'd also like to see full sized rugby, for example. And ODI or Test cricket.

I'd venture more participate in those sports than say dressage, hammer throw or 470s sailing (no offence intended to those who are into those sports). Baseball and softball should never have been dropped.

Have they dropped anything or just added more sports?

Have they dropped anything or just added more sports?

Boxing, pentathon, and I think weightlifting from absolute memory, first two meh, wish they removed equestrian lol

Nothing wrong with those sports you mentioned. And with frisbee/flying disc. If it needs to be modified for Olympics, fine. It's the foot in the door. I'd also like to see full sized rugby, for example. And ODI or Test cricket.

I'd venture more participate in those sports than say dressage, hammer throw or 470s sailing (no offence intended to those who are into those sports). Baseball and softball should never have been dropped.
Definitely need a rock/paper/scissors tournament.

Wouldn't mind some sort of maze-like competition, too.

But we could go on and on.

I might be imagining things here, but I always thought that once a sports body was in, they had the freedom to add as many events as they liked. Which explains beach volleyball but is also how trampolining gets in, as that's part of gymnastics. 3x3 basketball is governed by FIBA, so it was a fairly easy addition to the roster is my line of thought. Again, I might be completely wrong.

I'm not a fan of the amended rules sports, either. Still annoys me that men's soccer is predominantly under 23s, and yeah, 3x3 basketball, rugby sevens, etc I live do without. But then I love that cricket is in, so, go figure...

What the hell is flag football?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be imagining things here, but I always thought that once a sports body was in, they had the freedom to add as many events as they liked. Which explains beach volleyball but is also how trampolining gets in, as that's part of gymnastics. 3x3 basketball is governed by FIBA, so it was a fairly easy addition to the roster is my line of thought. Again, I might be completely wrong.

I'm not a fan of the amended rules sports, either. Still annoys me that men's soccer is predominantly under 23s, and yeah, 3x3 basketball, rugby sevens, etc I live do without. But then I love that cricket is in, so, go figure...
The Olympics has a long history of truly lame events. For instance, poodle clipping in 1900 and, my personal favourite, poetry!

Why is that my favourite? Because the winner in 1912 was none other than the founder of the Modern Olympics, Baron Pierre de Coubertin. Giving him 'best Poem" makes a few dodgy boxing decisions look completely ok!

I think it's like a version of gridiron that instead of tackling they rip a flag off the player.

Sounds fantastically lame.

Yeah it's basically touch NFL, be interesting to see if these are full games or a shortened version

Boxing, pentathon, and I think weightlifting from absolute memory, first two meh, wish they removed equestrian lol

From wikipedia page for 2028 Summer Olympics, sounds like they were only provisionally removed due to governance issues. Pentathlon reinstated (replaced horsies with an obstacle course that I assume is on foot). Weightlifting reinstated ... I think the governance was drug testing? Boxing still up in the air.

Agree that equestrian should be removed. But maybe too many rich snobs who run that sport though.

I think we are trying to bring in the likes of rugby league (nines), netball and surf lifesaving for Brisbane. Should bring back the Coolangatta Gold ... would honestly be an amazing Olympic event.

What they are removing boxing and weightlifting?

Further to my last post, I just read this from an ABC news article:

Boxing has been making headlines at this Olympic Games for all the wrong reasons and unless there is a new body to administer the sport, it will not make it to LA.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has organised the boxing at Tokyo and In Paris, after a falling out with the Russian-led International Boxing Association (IBA)

The IOC does not want to be the organiser of boxing in 2028, meaning the sport will need a new body to administer the event.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back