Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

From wikipedia page for 2028 Summer Olympics, sounds like they were only provisionally removed due to governance issues. Pentathlon reinstated (replaced horsies with an obstacle course that I assume is on foot). Weightlifting reinstated ... I think the governance was drug testing? Boxing still up in the air.

Agree that equestrian should be removed. But maybe too many rich snobs who run that sport though.

I think we are trying to bring in the likes of rugby league (nines), netball and surf lifesaving for Brisbane. Should bring back the Coolangatta Gold ... would honestly be an amazing Olympic event.
What about MCing?

Yes. The new sports are squash, cricket (T20), lacrosse, flag football, and baseball/softball are back.

Flag football is a joke, but if 3x3 basketball can get in, then anything can. I'm waiting for ultimate frisbee to be the next sport in.

Lacrosse is an underrated sport. Was actually in the 1904 and 1908 Olympics. But of course they aren't playing the main version, but a dummed down "sixes" version (less players, less contact, half sized field, half the duration, etc).
Expect a big push for Flying Disc sports for 2032. Mixed teams for Ultimate Disc and games are self-refereed both of which tick a lot of boxes for inclusivity. The governing body has over 100 member countries. I played a bit at uni and once you get past the hackysack vibes, the potential for it to be incredibly athletic is immense. The world champs will be played on the Gold Coast later this month and I think they'll see it as a test run. Could easily be played somewhere with rugby league facilities. Definitely on the cards to replace flag football, which as you say is ridiculous. All of the other sports in your first sentence I've got no problem with.

cannot get my head around why a bunch of highly paid tv execs think we want to watch a bunch of nobodies sit at a desk and endlessly bang on about nothing of any real consequence over actual sport (be it live or on replay)

for some bizarre reason australian media think eyeballing tv personalities is more important .... happens every olympics

by contrast ..... european coverage of the world athletics championships is first class .... the presenters are rarely seen (if at all) .... offering commentary over a live feed that never shifts from the track/field

Last edited:
Why have cricket? It's an anglosphere game
Leave it in the commonwealth games.

Cricket would bring more new interest (which is want the IOC wants) to the Olympics than any sport not included, due to the enormous sub-continent population.

You can rank popularity by viewership/fans or participation, but by either metric cricket is right up there in the top 5 sports worldwide. You can easily argue it is the 2nd biggest sport in the world behind soccer. All of the other most popular sports are in the Olympics (soccer, tennis, basketball, golf, volleyball, etc).

wouldnt have thought kenya was a rugby nation ... yet they had a representative team in the 7s this olympics* ....... and have long been a regular fixture on the world 7s tournament - happy to be corrected (kenya is but one example ..... could point the finger a number of national teams that fit this description)

see no difference with this and 20/20 cricket .... bring it on i say

* and acquitted themselves very well it must be said

I think we are trying to bring in the likes of rugby league (nines), netball
No... Please God no...

Olympics needs less team sports, not more.

Adding more team sports is why Comm Games has become unaffordable for many countries.

One of the primary rules for Comm Games back in the day was 'no team sports' (relays or combos in boats were ok). Such a disaster that they changed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring back the 'Obstacle Race' where you had to swim, then climb over boats and swim between barrels.

Aussie Freddie Lane won it in the Seine back in 1900.
That event has always mesmerised me, does Stan have any highlights of it?

I wonder what a modern equivalent of it could be. I’d happily **** off the breaststroke events to include it.

That event has always mesmerised me, does Stan have any highlights of it?

I wonder what a modern equivalent of it could be. I’d happily **** off the breaststroke events to include it.
1 length of the swimming pool jump out run to the diving pool - while the diving is going on - avoid the divers - jump out the other end and run back to the starting block and go again

My end of Day 11 medals table vs medals handed out table. These events are getting more complicated to reconcile.

Adjustments in Day 11 was the following;

Cycling men's Team Sprint handed out 3 medals per placing

Notes for day 11 - Wrestling like all combat sports give out 2 bronze medals. 3 events so 3 extra bronze medals.
Boxing women's 60kg class Gold and Silver awarded day 11 and bronzes in day 10.

To the left is national medal count, to the right is medal count to individuals for that nation.

With out doing full reconciliation of multiple medallists, 30+% of Great Britain, and South Korean team have won medals as highlighted in yellow, 20+% of USA, China eam have won medals as highlighted in orange.

In light blue are the nations that 10+% of a nations athletes are taking home a medal with teams of at least 100 athletes. I will also add how many teams in team sports countries have and how many athletes those teams supply at some point.

Spain and Germany have under performed generally so far, give how many athletes they send, but that might change if 2 or 3 or 4 of their team sports teams win medals, but yesterday they started moving. They both have a lot of teams in different sports in Paris. Have added some team sports info now all have got to at least 1/4 finals stage

1723018718132.png
1723018745061.png

The rock climbing is impressive. Imagine doing the splits hanging off a couple plastic moulds several metres in the air.
Sounds like Friday night in Adelaide...

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back