Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Female commentator in the volleyball just said that “volleyball is 50% mental and 50% in the head”
Has she been signed up as part of Channel 7's Saturday night footy coverage yet?

My end of Day 14 medals table vs medals handed out table. Surprised I finished it just before the Portv Melb game.

Adjustments in Day 14 was the following;

Athletics men's 4x100m relay.... CAN 4G, SAF 4S, GBR 5B
Athletics women's 4x100m relay USA 4G, GBR 6S, GER 5B
Cycling women's Madison handed out 2 medals per placing
Hockey women's handed out NED 16G, CHN 16S, ARG 16B
Football men's handed out.... SPA 22G, FRA 21S, MOR 19S
At end of Day 13 when Bronze match had been played I only put 1 medal for Morocco
as I didn't know how many individuals got medals. I have made the adjustment.
Table Tennis Men's team handed out 3 medals per placing

Canoe men's and women's K-2 500m handed out 2 x 2 medals per placing
Canoe women's C-2 500m handed out 2 medals per placing

Notes for day 11 - Wrestling like all combat sports give out 2 bronze medals. 3 events so 3 extra bronze medals.
Taekwondo 2 events 2 extra bronze medals

Boxing men's 2 women's and 2 men's finals and only Gold and Silver awarded day 14 and bronzes handed out previous days.

I have changed the graphics as the last couple with teams info is too small to read.

Below first is the info for top 16 nations and their sports teams and from Brazil onward have results for teams who have won a medal or have a team in the final with results to be determined on Day 15 and 16.

As At end of Day 14 7 lots of medals had been hand out 7 events and 2 bronze medals matches had been played and won, USA men's Polo and Germany women's Football won bronzes. There are 16 team events so 9 sets of gold and silver still to be determined at end of day 14.

Netherlands 13 golds only 4 have been won by a single individual. 16 golds for women's hockey, 17 golds handed out for men's hockey to go with rowing medals for quads, fours and pairs, athletics mixed relay, cyling team sprint, and men's 3x3 basketball had 4 members.

At end of day 13 USA has 4 teams left in the final with 56 medals on offer and 2 bronze medal games with potential to win 26 bronze medals.

France have 4 teams left in the final with 50 medals on offer. 7 of their teams make the final for gold - the rugby team had already won gold, men's football team and men's 3x3 basketball won silver.

1723300304959.png

To the left is national medal count, to the right is medal count to individuals for that nation.

With out doing full reconciliation of multiple medallists, 30+% nations athletes have won a medal is highlighted in yellow, have won medals as highlighted in yellow, 20+% nations is highlighted in orange and light blue ids for 10% nations.

In light blue are the nations that 10+% of a nations athletes are taking home a medal with teams of at least 100 athletes. I will also add how many teams in team sports countries have and how many athletes those teams supply at some point.

1723301271748.png
1723301308452.png
1723301355457.png

Last edited:
A cooling break in the women's gold medal football final between the USA and Brazil.

I haven't seen that before in a football match, it must be hot there at the Parc de Princes.

That's where the French rugby union team used to play their matches before they moved them to the Stade de France.

Can’t believe Jonathan Legard is still commentating the Volleyball after all these years

There was a time he was the English speaking voice of Formula 1
Apparently the first syllable in his surname is pronunced the same as ledge, in flagrant violation of spelling convention.

China are benefiting by Russia not being there to take medals away from them in rhythmic gymnastics and artistic swimming. Might just win them the overall medal table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kiwis have absolutely smashed these Games out of the park, with 9/7/2, including 3 golds today. Still got a chance or two left in the cycling on the final day.

Last edited:
China are benefiting by Russia not being there to take medals away from them in rhythmic gymnastics and artistic swimming. Might just win them the overall medal table.
True for pretty much every country. Russia win alot more gold medals than just rhythmic gymnastics and artistic swimming. The US would’ve won some that a Russian would’ve won as well.

The US will still top the table - three finals tomorrow and a rider who’s a good chance in the madison. China only have a short priced weightlifter. 90% likely that the US win at least 2 of those 4 considering the female basketball is a near certainty.

Apologies if this has been posted already.

From the pen of our dear Raygun:

Deterritorializing gender in Sydney's breakdancing scene: a B-girl's experience of B-boying

This thesis critically interrogates how masculinist practices of breakdancing offers a site for the transgression of gendered norms. Drawing on my own experiences as a female within the male-dominated breakdancing scene in Sydney, first as a spectator, then as an active crew member, this thesis questions why so few female participants engage in this creative space, and how breakdancing might be the space to displace and deterritorialise gender. I use analytic autoetthnography and interviews with scene members in collaboration with theoretical frameworks offered by Deleuze and Guttari, Butler, Bourdieu and other feminist and post-structuralist philosophers, to critically examine how the capacities of bodies are constituted and shaped in Sydney's breakdancing scene, and to also locate the potentiality for moments of transgression. In other words, I conceptualize the breaking body as not a 'body' constituted through regulations and assumptions, but as an assemblage open to new rhizomatic connections. Breaking is a space that embraces difference, whereby the rituals of the dance not only augment its capacity to deterritorialize the body, but also facilitate new possibilities for performativities beyond the confines of dominant modes of thought and normative gender construction. Consequently, this thesis attempts to contribute to what I perceive as a significant gap in scholarship on hip-hop, breakdancing, and autoethnographic explorations of Deleuze-Guattarian theory.

Tell us a bit about your current research and what makes it so important?

My current practice-based research is an extension of my previous work – in developing new vocabularies and ways of moving in breaking that challenge and expand the gender binary – but it is taking it to the high-stakes environment of the Olympics. The intense sportification of this environment has led me to a much greater engagement with strength and conditioning programs, and working on difficult and dynamic moves for the big stage. However, I am also trying to use this platform to say something artistically – about movement, about creativity, about the possibilities of the body. This is particularly important as this may be the only time breaking is in the Olympics, as it’s not included in the LA28 program. With the breaking judging not requiring the performance of set moves, the Olympics stage offers a global platform to challenge not only what we think bodies can do, but how bodies can move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back