Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dumb events that don't get enough shit: any track cycling race involving more than 8 bikes at a time.

The Madison needs to go, for good. Waste of time and nobody knows what's going on, including the hopeless officials. Replace it with a mixed team race imo.

Get rid of the omnium too and just do a knockout series of one type of race, be it scratch/tempo/elimination (start with say 4 races of 6 or 8 [i.e. 24-32 competitors], top 3-4 progress to semi finals, points carry over from previous rounds).

Dumb events that don't get enough shit: any track cycling race involving more than 8 bikes at a time.

The Madison needs to go, for good. Waste of time and nobody knows what's going on, including the hopeless officials. Replace it with a mixed team race imo.

Get rid of the omnium too and just do a knockout series of one type of race, be it scratch/tempo/elimination (start with say 4 races of 6 or 8 [i.e. 24-32 competitors], top 3-4 progress to semi finals, points carry over from previous rounds).
Disagree. The chaos is beautiful.

Are you kidding? The madison is amazing. Some just can't appreciate greatness in the midst of chaos.

The omnium is basically the cycling equivalent of the decathlon/heptathon.

Track cycling is fantastic. Have always loved points races, madisons, the elimination race in the omnium. One of the best parts of the olympics.

Are you kidding? The madison is amazing. Some just can't appreciate greatness in the midst of chaos.
200 laps of an overcrowded, oval track... A lot of people like NASCAR too, but not everybody. Why is that hard to believe?

200 laps of an overcrowded, oval track... A lot of people like NASCAR too, but not everybody. Why is that hard to believe?
Actually, it doesn't surprise me. A bit of hyperbole there, but no more than your claim that nobody understands it. It's a 2 person relay, one rider is active at any one time. Not that hard to keep track of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, it doesn't surprise me. A bit of hyperbole there, but no more than your claim that nobody understands it. It's a 2 person relay, one rider is active at any one time. Not that hard to keep track of.
"Nobody knows what's going on" isn't a question of understanding the concept of the race though.

The broadcasters can't cover it properly and the officials can't keep on top of half the deadshits who cut everybody else off.

Geez I have enjoyed this Olympics , I think being able to watch you want makes it harder to compare to other games, that's why London was great.

But this has felt right up there in terms of good contests and moments,
timezone bit annoying but always something on of an evening live.

Better than the last 2 Olympics imo, has fans so that's easy compared to Tokyo.

Maybe recency bias of course

Rochelle Gilmore is hopeless. It has been blatantly clear that Andrews is the form rider of the meet and she's acting like her winning is a huge upset.

These judges in the elimination race are seriously hopeless. Making it up as they go.

Last edited:

This is just so wrong.

Its the chaos, tactics and courage of these events that makes track cycling interesting.

Volleyball: Italy women up 2 sets to 0 vs the USA

Looking good for China to top the medal tally now
Until America start the drug accusations ironically exposing their athletes to the same *cough cough scrutiny

This is just so wrong.

Its the chaos, tactics and courage of these events that makes track cycling interesting.
There's plenty of all that in the Keirin and sprint races.

These 20+ rider races are for hacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back