Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

USA have gold coming in women’s bball.
Yep I know. Assumed that and already counted it in the tally. They only needed to win 2 of 4 of their gold chances today and considering the basketball is a formality only needed 1 from 3, which they’ll get.

My end of Day 15 medals table vs medals handed out table.

Adjustments in Day 15 was the following;

Athletics men's 4x400m relay.... USA 5G, BOTswana 4S, GBR 6B
Athletics women's 4x400m relay USA 7G,NED 6S, GER 8B
Water Polo women's SPA 13G AUS 13S NED 13B
Basketball men's USA 12G, FRA 12S, SERB 12B
Track Cycling men's madison handed out 2 medals per placing
Women's Football only gold and silver played for, bronze awarded previous day USA 20G BRA 22S
Gymnastics Rhythmic Group all round handed out 2 medals per placing
Volleyball men's only gold and silver playedfor, bronze awarded previous day FRA 12G POL 12S
Volleyball women's bronze medal played for and counted BRA 13B
Handball women's NOR 15G, FRA 17S, DEN15
Beach Volleyball men's handed out 2 medals per placing
Artistic swimming duet handed out 2 medals per placing

I stuffed up the Women's K2-500 as their was a dead heat on Day 14. the placings were
NZL G, HUN S and tie GER & HUN B, I counted it as NZL-GER-HUN
Also had included 11 bronzes in Brazils totalled for Mixed team Judo when it should have been 10.
I've made these adjustments.

Notes for day 15 - Wrestling like all combat sports give out 2 bronze medals. 3 events so 3 extra bronze medals.
Taekwondo 2 events 2 extra bronze medals

The impact of sports events handing out 12 to 22 medals per podium placing have had a big impact on day's 14 and 15 and will for day 16 results. I havent done the sports graphic I did yesterday. Will do that when I reconcile day 16 totals.

To the left is national medal count, to the right is medal count to individuals for that nation.

With out doing full reconciliation of multiple medallists, 30+% nations athletes have won a medal is highlighted in yellow,, 20-29% nations is highlighted in orange and light blue is for 10-19% nations.

This graphic I have highlighted these % for all nations as its near the end.

The Dutch are the big winners these Olympics, 40% of their athletes go home with a medal which is what USA usually achieve and I reckon its the first time China has hit this as they have won a lot more multi-medal podium placing events, and they won a team sports silver - women's hockey.

1723391336914.png
1723391360676.png
1723391384909.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My time in Paris has come to an end and I am heading to the airport to make the journey back to Melbourne.

Paris and France did a simply incredible job as the host of the summer Olympics. It's hard to put it into words, but everything was superb. 10/10

Highlights

The venues
. I mean sports were held at historical and world famous sites and landmarks. It highlighted the wonders of Paris perfectly.

The volunteers. Happy, friendly, helpful, cheerful, excited, passionate. All the words.

The transport system. I was able to get to 3 events a day a few times and I was only able to do that with the ease of the train and metro network here in Paris.

Crowds and atmosphere. Every single venue and event I went to a lot had a full house. I mean it blew me away. The passion and excitement in the venues was insane. Volleyball a highlight.

Vibe. Parisians got behind it. Visitors got behind it. The conversations I had with Parisians and french is that they needed this for the country. It was important.

Athletes and competition. It's what it is mostly about at the end of the day. I'll mention my Aussie highlights in the other thread. Marchand winning 4 gold and being there on the night he won two. The volleyball. Wow the volleyball. Along with athletics, my favourite sport to attend at the Olympics. The Poland Brazil and Poland Italy 5 set epics will stay in my mind for a long time. Djokovic winning gold. Anytime being at a venue or a bar and seeing a french athlete or team do well or win. NZ high jumper wining the jump off. Seeing team USA basketball beat Serbia in the semi final. The WR in the aths that were broken. Seeing duplantis break the PV WR and McLaughlin-Levrone break the 400m H WR just defies what the human body is capable of and seeing it live. The camaraderie between the athletes.

Thank you to RussellEbertHandball for your absolute ncredible knowledge and ability to share it with us. It was so helpful being able to follow the Olympic board here as it kept me up to date on many things. It is a bit harder to follow when you are here and going from event to event. Actually the Olympic board is probably my favourite on this forum because we mostly all want to see similar things and cheer for the same athletes.

If you love the Olympics, I strongly encourage you to get to one. It is a truly special experience and I am very grateful to have attended.

Merci beaucoup Paris and France

Last edited:
My time in Paris has come to an end and I am heading to the airport to make the journey back to Melbourne.

Paris and France did a simply incredible job as the host of the summer Olympics. It's hard to put it into words, but everything was superb. 10/10

Highlights

The venues
. I mean sports were held at historical and world famous sites and landmarks. It highlighted the wonders of Paris perfectly.

The volunteers. Happy, friendly, helpful, cheerful, excited, passionate. All the words.

The transport system. I was able to get to 3 events a day a few times and I was only able to do that with the ease of the train and metro network here in Paris.

Crowds and atmosphere. Every single venue and event I went to a lot had a full house. I mean it blew me away. The passion and excitement in the venues was insane. Volleyball a highlight.

Vibe. Parisians got behind it. Visitors got behind it. The conversations I had with Parisians and french is that they needed this for the country. It was important.

Athletes and competition. It's what it is mostly about at the end of the day. I'll mention my Aussie highlights in the other thread. Marchand winning 4 gold and being there on the night he won two. The volleyball. Wow the volleyball. Along with athletics, my favourite sport to attend at the Olympics. The Poland Brazil and Poland Italy 5 set epics will stay in my mind for a long time. Djokovic winning gold. Anytime being at a venue or a bar and seeing a french athlete or team do well or win. NZ high jumper wining the jump off. Seeing team USA basketball beat Serbia in the semi final. The WR in the aths that were broken. Seeing duplantis break the PV WR and McLaughlin-Levrone break the 400m H WR just defies what the human body is capable of and seeing it live. The camaraderie between the athletes.

Thank you to RussellEbertHandball for your absolute ncredible knowledge and ability to share it with us. It was so helpful being able to follow the Olympic board here as it kept me up to date on many things. It is a bit harder to follow when you are here and going from event to event. Actually the Olympic board is probably my favourite on this forum because we mostly all want to see similar things and cheer for the same athletes.

If you love the Olympics, I strongly encourage you to get to one. It is a truly special experience and I am very grateful to have attended.

Cannot like this enough. Rapt you had such a memorable experience and thank you so much for sharing it with us. Might seem stupid but having you on the ground, relaying your experiences in real time just made it even more real for us and added to the excitement.

So thanks for taking the time away from a once in a lifetime journey, to bring the games to us couch bound plebs. Every four years, this board is amazing. Safe travels mate.

Highlights

The venues

What a great adventure you have had pepsi. Memories for the rest of your life.

Makes me want to get my shit together and get to LA. One of my best mates lives in southern California, about 90 kms east of LA. Have to start planning stuff with him for 2028.

You were Big Footy's talisman there in Paris. I have really enjoyed your on the spot reports. Safe trip home.

Closing ceremony time. Hopefully its more party time than avant-gard stuff like the opening. It will be brilliant and looking forward to LA's brief performance. I hope we see Rocket man from 1984 again.

After listening to Leila McKinnon's BS for a few minutes, I've turned the sound down and radio on and up.

Surprise surprise they are nearly in sync not like when events were on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back