Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Phoenix are pretty well revered in France and 'made it' around the world as talented exports, singing in English with French accents. They've been doing it for 25 years plus. Nothing second-rate about them!

I must confess I haven't seen their performance, but just commenting on their overall standing rather than whatever they dished up last night.

I was waiting for a boomer comment "who is this, should have gotten blah blah blah" in regards to Phoenix playing. I guess looking back they should have moved those other stages so the athletes could have been more close and all around them.

In the end no one really remembers who plays the closing ceremony anyway. I remember The Church playing at the closing of Sydney but that's it.

Closings should first and foremost be a party-to-remember for the athletes, and I think particularly the Gen Z-ers were short changed by having Billie Eilish merely perform via satellite.

And another thing! I was going to complain about the speeches for both the OC and CC again being like pulling teeth... then realised how good they might turn out to be in retrospect, considering LA28 could be opened by an off-script President Trump. Yikes.

I was waiting for a boomer comment "who is this, should have gotten blah blah blah" in regards to Phoenix playing. I guess looking back they should have moved those other stages so the athletes could have been more close and all around them.

In the end no one really remembers who plays the closing ceremony anyway. I remember The Church playing at the closing of Sydney but that's it.
Oils and there tshirts
Kylie , inxs
Shame spotify wasnt around , would have boosted sales

With Phoenix, Air and the dude from Vampire Weekend, it was like heaven for Triple J fans circa 2010. Which I loved, tbh.

CAS knocked back us gymnastics appeal for the bronze . Could get ugly .Usa dont like to lose

As they should, the rules are very clear not sure how it's hard, you have a minute to object, not a minute and 4 seconds, not 2 minutes, 1 minute.

there is supposedly a video showing it was done under a minute, i haven't seen it so i wont comment

I'm sure they have looked at the video and have a timer. They got the right result just the wrong way, they deducted points from the Romanian from going out when she didn't. You know what they should do is give a Bronze to 3rd to 5th.

This was Australia's 3rd best Summer Olympics in history in terms of Gold Medals won relative to the number of events.

% of gold medals at the Olympic Games

1956 (Melbourne) = 13/151 (8.61%)
2004 (Athens) = 17/301 (5.65%)
2024 (Paris) = 18/329 (5.47%)
1960 (Rome) = 8/150 (5.33%)
2000 (Sydney) = 16/300 (5.33%)
2020 (Tokyo) = 17/339 (5.01%)
1896 (Athens) = 2/43 (4.65%)
2008 (Beijing) = 14/302 (4.64%)
1972 (Munich) = 8/195 (4.10%)
1952 (Helsinki) = 6/149 (4.03%)
1964 (Tokyo) = 6/163 (3.68%)
1996 (Atlanta) = 9/271 (3.32%)
1968 (Mexico City) = 5/172 (2.91%)
1992 (Barcelona) = 7/257 (2.72%)
2012 (London) = 8/302 (2.65%)
2016 (Rio de Janeiro) = 8/306 (2.61%)
1932 (Los Angeles) = 3/117 (2.56%)
1924 (Paris) = 3/126 (2.38%)
1900 (Paris) = 2/95 (2.11%)
1912 (Stockholm) = 2/102 (1.96%)
1984 (Los Angeles) = 4/221 (1.81%)
1988 (Seoul) = 3/237 (1.27%)
1980 (Moscow) = 2/203 (0.99%)
1928 (Amsterdam) = 1/109 (0.92%)
1908 (London) = 1/110 (0.91%)
1948 (London) = 1/136 (0.74%)
1904 (St Louis) = 0/95 (0.00%)
1936 (Berlin) = 0/129 (0.00%)
1920 (Antwerp) = 0/156 (0.00%)
1976 (Montreal) = 0/198 (0.00%)
You need to remember the outside world has changed which makes out current success rate stand out even more. Many countries in Africa, Asia and Central America etc are far more advanced in a sporting sense now than in 1956. With the greatest respect to the likes of Betty Cuthbert, I doubt she was racing the depth and quality of opposition in 1956 that Torrie Lewis was facing in 2024.

On the Closing Ceremony after getting around to watching it. I thought it was a little out of wack. Phoenix should have played at the end not halfway through I'd never heard of them before they sounded OK with some good rockin' tunes. But any singing in French has never sounded good to me just a horrible language to sing in lol. The USA next host show went for far to long for a pre-recorded show either make it short and quick or have the show live so that the athletes and spectators in the stadium can enjoy it. I enjoyed the light shows and that 'Gold Creature' (whatever it was) Olympic voyage show through the ages was very unique. Other than that very average I was disappointed in France not showing more of itself and its history in both ceremonies. As for the games well they were great as always other than the Breaking I enjoyed watching all the sports on offer and its always great when the Aussies are doing well and winning medals. Always leaves me with an empty feeling the week after an Olympics is over like what do I do now kinda feeling can't turn the TV on and watch or stream any live events. :(

Arrr... wont have to wait long some Para Olympics coming up and looking forward to the Winter games in Milan/Cortina in Italy in 18 months time. If Torino is anything to go by they'll be great and being of Italian background it'll be extra special for me. Anyway its been fun interacting on the board. :)

Last edited:
I wasn't even thinking of this part when criticising the speeches:

...the pun alone is bad enough. To top it off though, he talked at that pace for the whole thing (and still said nothing). I guess it's for the benefit of the translators, but c'mon. Sitting through that is tufffff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't even thinking of this part when criticising the speeches:

...the pun alone is bad enough. To top it off though, he talked at that pace for the whole thing (and still said nothing). I guess it's for the benefit of the translators, but c'mon. Sitting through that is tufffff.

No wonder the athletes were sick

These games were ok

I know this will rock the boat. I reckon london were the best games ever
Interesting. I attended both and probably the same amount of events.

Why do you rate Paris just as ok and London the best ever? On the ground in Paris, speaking to lots of people who have attended previous Olympics, these games were rates very highly.

Australia had a relatively poor performance in London as well.

The best Games of the last 25 years were definitely Sydney 2000, London 2012 & Paris 2024. Tokyo should have been up there too but Covid.

LA should be awesome as a Games plan to go there myself for them.

I've listened to the main guy planning it a few times and he sounds very switched on and I feel like they will knock it out of the park if everything goes to plan. Too bad though if you are playing softball where you will be playing in Oklahoma.

I feel like their attitude will be, 28 years on from 9/11 and look at us now we are better than ever.

LA should be awesome as a Games plan to go there myself for them.
I am thinking about it as well. One of my best mates lives about 90km east of LA in Redlands and works for a big GIS software company, ESRI at their HQ, who will be providing services to LA county and other counties / California state government agencies and the OCOG for the Games.

We have started talking about it, as Paris was coming to an end.

I've listened to the main guy planning it a few times and he sounds very switched on and I feel like they will knock it out of the park if everything goes to plan. Too bad though if you are playing softball where you will be playing in Oklahoma.

I feel like their attitude will be, 28 years on from 9/11 and look at us now we are better than ever.

Canoeing in OK as well. Can’t believe LA is getting away with putting up a 1500m rowing course.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back