Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

On Matthew Richardson -
We're not Soviet Russia. We don't own our athletes. It's entirely his business where he lives, where he plays sport and which country he represents.

I’m not against athletes changing the country they represent. However, once they’ve represented a nation at senior level especially, there should probably be a period (1 year, 2?)

It's generally 3 years - like Aussie Olympian (decathlete Danial Golubovic - former US rep) had to sit out when transferring to AUS. And exactly why Richardson is swapping now - right after his last event as an Aussie.

Article in the SMH highlighting the problem with Richardson is that he's a sprint rider so he wouldn't have the tank to switch to road racing and actually earn decent money.
Brad McGee was on the last team pursuit winning squad in 2004 and won stages at the Tour de France in 2002 and 2003. he got beaten in the individual pursuit by the 2012 TDF winner, Bradley Wiggins.
Mark Cavendish did the longer distance omnium-type races and won 35 TDF stages, while Chris Hoy never switched to the road.
Sam Welsford on the recent pursuit winning team rode the Tour last year.

It's generally 3 years - like Aussie Olympian (decathlete Danial Golubovic - former US rep) had to sit out when transferring to AUS. And exactly why Richardson is swapping now - right after his last event as an Aussie.
Scott McGorry on SEN today said the UCI used to say it was 2 seasons of international competition, but a few years ago changed it to 1 season.

There was no point wasting anytime, seeing he made up his mind months ago and was in clandestine talks starting then.

Scott McGorry on SEN today said the UCI used to say it was 2 seasons of international competition, but a few years ago changed it to 1 season.

There was no point wasting anytime, seeing he made up his mind months ago and was in clandestine talks starting then.

As has been pointed out, we are “net stealers” when it comes to athletes so we can’t complain. Although this one was a bit late in the piece. The gf angle couldn’t have hurt.

Back when he was a junior, Djokovic’s family asked Tennis Australia for $2m cash to swap over. To their everlasting regret TA refused. Imagine what an Aussie Novak would have done for tennis down here?

Although he might have derailed the national vaccine rollout. So maybe things worked out for the best

Edit: although our turncoat cyclist didn’t do it as late as The Boy from Bratislava, aka The Silver Slovak, Rory Sabbatini who jumped off South Africa at age 42 then managed to grab a silver in 2020.

He wouldn’t have qualified if he stayed a Springbok.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
The Rowing News article I got the 2nd picture above from, dated 13 July 2024 says;

Beach Sprint Rowing, a format of the Coastal Rowing discipline, will be included in the Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games program for the first time. The Beach Sprint Rowing venue has not yet been announced.

Click on the link and you get this article from October 2023

The International Olympic Committee announced today that Beach Sprint Rowing, a format of the Coastal Rowing discipline, will be included in the Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games programme, alongside Classic Rowing. For the first time, Rowing will be featured in two different disciplines, both set to be showcased at the heart of the Olympic Games.
The inclusion of Beach Sprint Rowing in the 2028 Olympic Games programme is the outcome of a decade-long development of Coastal Rowing with the active support of our 159 members and rowing communities across the world. World Rowing has embarked on an ambitious, global growth strategy for the discipline, underpinned by increased investments across geographies and participation in high-profile multisport events.

In 2023, Beach Sprint Rowing was featured at the World Rowing Beach Sprint Finals in Barletta, Italy, after being part of the Mediterranean Beach Games in Greece. The format will also be part of the 2026 Youth Olympic Games in Dakar, Senegal and the 2026 Commonwealth Games, in addition to other high-profile Continental multisport games and World Championships taking place every year. That global growth strategy will continue with the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics.
“The inclusion of Coastal Rowing at LA28, through the Beach Sprints format, is expected to be transformational for our sport in terms of global exposure, and in making an exciting form of rowing accessible to new populations, said World Rowing President Jean-Christophe Rolland. We believe Beach Sprint Rowing has the potential to enhance the Olympic programme by embracing beach culture and our shared values of universality, gender-equality and sustainability, while delivering genuine innovation in sport, broadcast and fan entertainment.

The final decision on the events, quotas and competition formats will be taken by the IOC Executive Board after the Olympic Games Paris 2024. Three medal events will be proposed by World Rowing: the men’s solo (one athlete); women’s solo (one athlete), and the mixed double sculls (two athletes). For the first-time ever, Rowing would feature a mixed event at the Olympic Games.
As for Classic Rowing, the Olympic regatta will be staged at the Long Beach Marine Stadium, the 1932 Olympic Games course. The programme will not include the lightweight double sculls, with the Paris 2024 Olympic Games marking the last time when lightweight rowing is featured on the Olympic programme.
The Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games are scheduled to take place from 14 to 30 July 2028. The dates and events of the Classic Rowing and Beach Sprint Rowing competitions will be confirmed at a later stage.
The attribution process for the World Rowing Coastal Championships & Beach Sprint Finals in 2025, 2026 and 2027 – which will be the first qualification opportunity for the LA28 Olympic Games – is due to open soon, and expressions of interest can already be submitted to World Rowing.

To learn more about Beach Sprint Rowing, click here to watch a presentation of the discipline, here to learn more on “How to Beach Sprint” or click here to download our media booklet.

Its not the type of surf boat rowing you see at Oz surf life saving events

Looks like a fun sport to watch. Even better with a bit of surf. No cox/sweep adds a bit of spice.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Going out on a limb here and saying Australia has probably been the recipient of more athletes changing allegiances than we have lost them. It's more prevalent in some sports than others, but, for instance, our three highest-ranked women's tennis players all represented other countries before switching to Australia, and I don't recall any outrage over that from Australians.

It's rare, move on.

Agreed. People move countries for many reasons. Family, work, health, sporting pursuits. The world is one. We are many.

hana mandlikova received much fanfare when she obtained AUS citizenship and when playing there was a little aussie flag next to her name. No outrage then.

Every odd summer we see it in a similar manner but with joe public. When India tour and stadiums are packed with indian supporters, of which a portion reside in australia, certain sections of the public bemoan them. However, when England tour and you have English persons barracking for England despite living and or are citizens of our country, no one blinks and eyelid or two.

If it benefits us as a nation its ok, but when shoe is on other foot, it is not.

Not sure about this argument.

He represented and won medals for Australia. Hasn't he done as much as could possibly have been expected of him to 'pay back' that money?

I wonder if say "taxpayer money" could be offset by saw purchases he made during his time in australia at the very least travelling to and from training/meets which aren't covered by the public. i.e. food/drinks, tolls, petrol, transport etc. Basically anything where he has paid out of his own pocket into the community. For example at the local Maccas. There's also tax implications that need consideration as well.

Just a low tone but the news about Sam Landsberger is shattering

I used his Twitter feed to get my daily event guide

Vale
I don't think I could have picked him out of a lineup of other Herald Sun Journos 3 weeks ago - which is probably a good thing rather than bad. Journos should never make it about themselves.

But Those Aussie guide tweets were a godsend. Crucial part of the enjoyment of the Olympics for me.

I don't think I could have picked him out of a lineup of other Herald Sun Journos 3 weeks ago - which is probably a good thing rather than bad. Journos should never make it about themselves.

But Those Aussie guide tweets were a godsend. Crucial part of the enjoyment of the Olympics for me.
I was watching some fox show before the showdown and I saw his name and it was '' oh so thats who he is ''

Just terrible news for his family and friends

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. People move countries for many reasons. Family, work, health, sporting pursuits. The world is one. We are many.

hana mandlikova received much fanfare when she obtained AUS citizenship and when playing there was a little aussie flag next to her name. No outrage then.

If it benefits us as a nation its ok, but when shoe is on other foot, it is not.
I guess PN, folk are disappointed Richo made the decision months before the games and kept it a secret apparently. Sounds like the cycling team as whole knew nothing about it.

Obviously winning the medals were under Aust and not GB....so I guess that is a plus for the Green n Gold fans. Be interesting to how Richo goes in the future under the GB banner

Not sure about this argument.

He represented and won medals for Australia. Hasn't he done as much as could possibly have been expected of him to 'pay back' that money?
Well I guess I’m not to far off the mark considering this is basically the same position that both Cycling Australia and his former teammates are taking.

Richo hasn't helped himself by admitting he apparently was all packed to head "home" back in December. Didn't say anything at the time, because he knew he wouldn't be allowed to compete at the Paris Olympics. All a bit sneaky come end of the day.

If Richo thinks he is well within his rights to jump ship because it's his career. Than Aus cycling should follow their right, to have him banned for the next 2 years, because they are well within rights apparently to do so.

Surely there's a way we can convince a few Poms to come our way and don the green and gold.

Could start with Keely Hodgkinson, Alex Yee, Tom Pidcock, Josh Kerr, a few of their gun rowers...........

Harry Brook at number 5 in our Test team would be handy too.

We were all excited when Keegan Palmer went back to back Gold for Australia, he could easily be skateboarding for USA…

So if Richo wants to ride for GB so be it.
Except it’s not even close to the same thing.

Keegan Palmer, lived in Australia from age 1-14.

At 14 he chose to move to America to pursue his career. If he choose to represent America at that point so be it, it would be disappointing but he never received anything from Australia in regards to his sport. Nor I believe has he ever received anything from America, so they can’t feel hard done by either.

Richardson took advantage of Australia cycling. He took resources that they could have put into another potential athlete.

You don’t have to take my word for it, these are quotes from within those circles.

“Others who are feeling a little bit ripped off because supporting him over the years has come at the direct cost of supporting other athletes.”

“I think the tie to your country is very strong but, in saying that, if there is that tie, then I’m not really sure why he wouldn’t have made this leap years ago,” Bates continued.

“It doesn’t really sit right with me that if that was the case all along why he went down this path with AusCycling.”

Surely there's a way we can convince a few Poms to come our way and don the green and gold.

You need to inspire them (or their parents) to come out here in their mid-teens (or before they have ever represented the UK in any comp). Otherwise they need to (even if 'approved') sit out of major events for 3 years or so.

2 Years in cycling is easy compared to 3 in athletics.

English weather lasts forever
I remember reading Raelene Boyle's auto-biography.

For a few months (in Pommy spring/summer) she trained/competed there in 1974 and said something like 'no wonder Poms are so miserable/lazy - it's the gloomy weather'. lol

First 15 mins is an interview with Richardson. Mentions how he gets more support racing over there because his relos are in the crowd and it was a thing he wanted to do for years, and the pressure was on because if he underperformed the backlash would've been 1000 times worse.

The Dutch were the stars of the Olympics in terms of winning gold over minor medals.

15-7-12 = 34 were 6th on gold medals order, 8th on total medals order.

63-24-26 = 113 were 3rd on individual medals handed out gold medals order and 6th on total medals order.

And they are repeating that at the Paralympics so far;

16-7-5 = 28 and 4th on gold medals order and 10th on total medals order.

Technically the Neutral Paralympic athletes are 4th on gold medals order, so Dutch would go to 5th, and if you include them the Dutch move to 11th on total medals order.

I haven't and wont do total medals handed out for Paralympics. Just took too much time for Olympics and had to do it day by day to stay on top of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back